Stamina, Help Need U Fitness Buffs.

Davetrials

Right at the nationals yesterday the 2nd lap was not physicly possible for me, it jut wasnt happening, so i need to work on my stamina i think, but ve no idea how to go about it

what kinda stuff do i need to do

is there anything specific shud eat?

etc

thankies

Edited by Davetrials

Right at the nationals yesterday the 2nd lap was not physicly possible for me, it jut wasnt happening, so i need to work on my stamina i think, but ve no idea how to go about it

what kinda stuff do i need to do

is there anything specific shud eat?

etc

thankies

Try XC/rodie riding to build up stamina, also skipping and circuit training will help a lot.

eat carefully, pasta etc the night before, energy drinks throughout the day (i use the sis stuff) and the most important thing.... Time On The Bike!! I dont really ride street, only natural and i practice not only individual moves but alot of sections too. -hugh

Complex carbs is what you want so things like, pasta, brown rice, potatoes, porridge, brown bread, beans, lentils and so on

If you want fitness for trials then you i don't think that doing long distance running or cycling would be most appropriate as a section is only going to last 5 mins or so and you will have a good few minutes rest inbetween each section.

I think that circuit training would be good, you want to have different stations were you do a different exercise such as press ups, sit-ups, squats, burpees etc, how many stations you want and how many times to do each exercise is up to you . Sprint to each station and do that exercise as fast as you can, after one full lap have a break until you feel your ready to do another lap and then just repeat. Each week you can then lower the rest intervals, or the number of laps you do etc

Fartlek training would also be useful, if there is a football field near you then use that. Jog around the whole pitch then when you get back to the beginning sprint one length and jog the other three, then sprint 2 sides and jog 2, keep doing this until you sprint around the whole pitch.

You want to be doing it 2 to 3 times a week if you want to progress and should be doing for longer than 20 minutes a session.

get on a normal bike... and ride about 30 miles a day for a start if you can.

I can now do 70 miles a day, no trouble.

Riding any distance on trials really use to kill me, now I'm not phased by riding 5 miles at all =)

Cycling 5 miles on a trials bike is totally differant to competing in a national round. A single section is likely to be no longer than what 500 meters? That would be long, (there is a length restriction to sections but I don't think it's even considered as it's silly long) and during that 5 miles you don't have to sidehop higher than you ever have before onto a something you've never rode on before.

I don't deny that general cycling from a to b will increase your stamina, but it won't do what dave wants. His legs might end up being able to ride 4 laps, but his arms will be as big as his legs after the first....

get on a normal bike... and ride about 30 miles a day for a start if you can.

I can now do 70 miles a day, no trouble.

Riding any distance on trials really use to kill me, now I'm not phased by riding 5 miles at all =)

you must have a lot of time on your hands............

get in the pool, get yourself a pull bouy, some sprint fins and a kick board. do pyramid sets e.g.50m 10secs rest, 100m 15 secs rest, 200m 20 secs 300m 25 secs and then 400 m with 30 secs rest and then back down to 50 meters going through the distances. dont push it too hard you want to be working at about 80% max pulse rate and not taking more than your set rest period. you can do it different strokes, alternating pull/kick sets etc. builds up muscle endurance and reduces recovery times. plus it'll tone you up (Y) if your in the pool for an 2-3 hours every week you'll notice the difference. plus swimming is a full body work out and now impact or shock injuries like incurred through running etc

now i just gotta get my lardy arse in the pool

spend as much time riding as you can! like somebody has pointed out doing sections instead of one move at a time will really help. You can do this on street just as easily as natural, just do a move i.e. sidehop up a wall, drop back off it and then tap up it, then move to a nearby object however small or easy and conquere it as many ways as you can. you will really notice how much it takes it out of you after just a short time.

Also riding alone is good for fitness as you dont sit about chatting, just get on and ride (Y)

time to take my own advice

bonjour x

Spot on, listen to Rankin he knows the score. It's easy to get into a pattern of riding obstacles using short bursts of energy (which is good for improving power for those moves). But combine that with practicing longer lines/ sections and you cant go wrong.

Nick

Absolutely true! You are out there to ride, non-stop until you get to your next level for the day.

I like your way of thinking. I hate it when I go out to ride my balls off and ending up being with someone who is just out for something do to rather than to try new stuff or to improve. I allways like to learn one new thing a day, I don't tell myself what it will be, but I will make sure to try a few new things, If I end up not getting them I'll try them the next time im out.

I thought exactly the same and for the last probably....month (ish) ive been following a better diet and doing alot more exercise and ive found it really has helped my stamina and overall i feel and look alot healthier!

Now, i snack on fruit and veg instead of chocolate biscuits and things like that ( i hardly ever eat chocolate anymore) and instead of having a cup of tea and biscuits for breakfast now i have either jam, honey or peanut butter on toast ( peanut butter is quite fattening though).

Now for lunch, instead of the usual crisps and things, i make myself a salad. Lettuce, tomatoes, radish, carrot, cucumber, spinach and that kind of thing, also, to fill me up a bit more i toast one piece of brown bread, chop that up and throw that in aswell.

Either that or a fruit salad. Bananah, orange, apple, pear, grapes and melons. i rotate between the fruit and veg salad. I find that these help alot and taste so nice aswell!

As for exercise, i go to my college gym twice a week and try and do everything i can but focusing mainly on running and rowing but allways staying within my limits as i used to over do it and then i ached for weeks afterwards..not good. I try to circuit around each machine.

Im in no way a pro gym trainer person or nutritionist so i am probably wrong with what i am doing but it is working for me!

Hope this has helped a little bit..

Cheers, Aaron