Do I Have Extra Knuckles?

Rich Pearson

Pic is of a sidehop yesterday at spice island in Portsmouth. I know its a bit random, but I've never noticed this before:

Look at the circled bits over both my hands. Is it just me, or do I appear to have randomly placed extra and enlarged knuckles on both my idex fingers? :blink:

Anyone shed any light? Anyone else get this?

Rich

Not just the extra muscle because its your "braking" finger sticking out?

Nah, just been trying that with my bike; pulling my levers as hard as I can and moving my arm and hand into all different kinds of positions. Nothing.

EDIT: and before anyone asks, yes, I have checked my hands for extra knuckles and I only have the normal five three per finger

They move because they have tendons which link them to the muscles, which are situated in your palms and forearms. This can be observed in a couple of ways - look at the tendons in the back of your hand move whilst you type. Also look at your forearm as you move your fingers; you should see the muscles there move. Then there's the tendons in the palm-side of your wrist as well.

The only muscles in the finger, and I'm sure you'll agree this doesn't count, are those which make hairs stand on end.

Each finger may flex and extend, abduct and adduct; therefore it may also circumduct. Flexion is by far the strongest movement. In humans, there are two large muscles that produce flexion of each finger, and additional muscles that augment the movement. Each finger may move independently of the others, though the muscle bulks that move each finger may be partly blended, and the tendons may be attached to each other by a net of fibrous tissue, preventing completely free movement. This is particularly noticeable when trying to extend the fourth digit (third finger) with the others flexed.

Heh, did you read the paragraphs below it? From in the same section of the article:

Fingers do not contain muscles other than arrector pili muscles. The muscles that move the finger joints are in the palm and forearm.

The arrector pili muscles are the ones that make your hairs stand on end that I mentioned.

Edited by Anjow

The only muscles in the finger, and I'm sure you'll agree this doesn't count, are those which make hairs stand on end.

What about the lumbricals? Part of them is in your finger if you want to be pedantic. As I do, most of the time ;)

But yeah, most of your finger movement comes from the forearm.

Never seen fingers like that before. :huh:

Movement of fingers do come from the forearm though.

If you tilt you're arm as if you were holding a tennis raquet, then move your fingers whilst looking at the area where you can feel your pulse, you can see the tendons move.

Looks freaky. :P

Steve

You masturbate so much that your hand has evolved to make it feel like it isn't your hand? Then when your used to it again after a prolonged period of time, like next week, your hand will evolve more, to again make the sensation unique and still enjoyable?

Only a guess mind.

^_^

What we're seeing here is the early stages of what's known as 'pan hands' - the spaces between the knuckles on each finger swell in size, forming oval shaped 'pans' which aid in wife beating later in life. With all four fingers extended the 'pans' create a long, flat and more importantly, hard (yet tender) surface which maximises pain when impacting the face/eye area while reducing chances of bruising.

I may have just made that up.