The C.a.d. Thread

RobinJI

Noticed quite a few threads and posts about 3D modeling lurking around, so I thought I'd make a thread for people to whack a screenshot or 2 of there work in. (Y)

gokart.jpg

leverclose.jpg

lever.jpg

The go karts done in inventor 7, and the levers drawn and rendered (badley) in Solid Edge V19

Edited by Dont you Just Hate it When...

Mate is making a car on cad at the moment.

He was porting the engine block yesterday and had it so that 4 of the pistons worked when you turn the crankshaft

Also got the turbo working with spinning turbine.

Engine is mounted onto a subframe, not doing to bad really.

Ill try an get pics when hes finished.

I like CAD :)

This was my last project, styling the bodywork for the uni's Formula Student car. A few screenshots of various views, with proposed livery. The best thing about this project is that its being made and will be raced! Currently in final stages of the full size clay model.

FSScreenshot38.jpg

FSScreenshot39.jpg

Print%204.jpg

Print%205.jpg

Print%2022.jpg

Some rather sweet looking stuff in this thread :)

I'd liked to have put some of the stuff I'm working on at the moment, such as modelling our 78litre block and putting together full engine assemblies, but unfortunately company confidentiality prevents me doing so :(

Keep up the awesome work guys (Y)

i have shitloads of cad.. its so easy! i did my whole house for a coursework and also designed an RAF fire station

kitcheninternetqw4.jpg

That was the kitchen of my house.. wasnt fully finished but you get the general idea ill have to dig up my folder with the other renders in.. the cooker looked f**king sex

The concept designs for the firestation:

concept1sr6.jpg

concept3vw9.png

All done using autocad 2007 possibly the wankest out of all the cad programs ;)

Edited by Spacemunkee

Somewhat related. I could watch this vid all day, the movements seem so random yet are dead accurate. No wonder these machines cost more than a house.

Youtube Video ->
">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

This was my last project, styling the bodywork for the uni's Formula Student car. A few screenshots of various views, with proposed livery. The best thing about this project is that its being made and will be raced! Currently in final stages of the full size clay model.

But will it be raced this year? Our Formula Student team seem to do the same thing every year- decide that last year did it wrong and start again! The car's been in the same state for the past 4 odd years that I've seen it.

Also, was any aero work carried out on the car? CFD or experimental? I avoided FS during my undergrad because I wanted to do aero work and it tended to be a very mechanical project.

Dave

But will it be raced this year? Our Formula Student team seem to do the same thing every year- decide that last year did it wrong and start again! The car's been in the same state for the past 4 odd years that I've seen it.

Also, was any aero work carried out on the car? CFD or experimental? I avoided FS during my undergrad because I wanted to do aero work and it tended to be a very mechanical project.

Dave

Yep, it sure will be. The team is going to the Silverstone, Hockenheim and Fiorano events this summer. Its was regarded "unnecessay" for us to wind tunnel test it and develop any aerodynamics, due to the relativly low speeds involved. I personally have an interest in aerodynamics, and would have loved to do some aero work on it, but our time scale wasnt kind enough for that.

Well, its not a standard magura, its a lever to fit a magura blade and TPA that has a 20mm master cylender and 2 hose outputs, I designed it for Luke so he could use both breaks off of the one lever. Which is why the blades only crappy, 'cos thats not the bit I was designing.

post-4312-1179604225_thumb.jpg

That hayes looks sexy, but looks like you'd kill it in a DH bail instantly!

For my final project at college, we had our own brief to set and work with ect, I chose to design a minimalist piece of furniture/storage unit that was totally versitile to any needs.

boxworkingqq8.th.jpg

picture3dh1.th.png

picture4ni2.th.png

Its no where near as good as half of the solidworks stuff up there ^ But it shows my idea preety well,

The idea of using boxes cae about to create storage and still be able to be made flat pack to suit comsumer needs. Usig the hooks means users can adapt the amount of boxes they use on a single system. The 2 rails are held in place through suction cups, not the usual small lame ones, something like the ones used for moving glass panes ect.

Modeled using Lightwave 9.2.

Somewhat related. I could watch this vid all day, the movements seem so random yet are dead accurate. No wonder these machines cost more than a house.

That's probably because it's the size of a f**kin house! That thing looks so expensive,,,all the things it does

Anyone know where I might be able to "borrow" a good CAD programme?

I start Mechanical Engineering in September so getting some practice in would be nice.

Find out what program they are using first, no point learning one just to find that you will be using something else. The method is always the same, but menus will differ and there are always little quirks with each different program (I use ProE at work and still try using shortcuts for Unigraphics which I used at uni with no joy).

When you know what you will be using drop me a pm and I will see what I can do ;)

Or if you are lazy, pm me anyways and I'll recommend something to get you started...

is that how all stuff is made, like scraping away at a metal block, ive never botherd with 3d modlng so ive no idea at all how it works.

no Dave, you use a computer :rolleyes:

utter madness - I must have hundreds of finished models on this machine and only 1 render (even that's not the finished article).

That's the wonderful world of realtime graphics for you...

AK74 in under 1000 polygons.

post-5340-1179730620_thumb.jpg