Thinking Of Vees.

aener

Had maggies from day one. My front one's been fine, but the rear has been a never ending story of seal replacing, and wasted money.

I've used the search on all of these questions, but not much of use came up :(

First off:

I know there'll be an overwhelming vote for maggies, but I'm sick of them. How would any of you rate Vees?

I'm coming into some money soon, and am thinking I'll play it safe, and get some Avid Ultimates (the £70 ones on tarty - lever + arms) with an oddysey linear slick cable, and some CNC Heatsink Vee Backings, and transfer my snowy material.

Second question: Will this setup work? I've heard that the some Vees take up a lot of space, and won't fit around a wide rim (I've got one of the 47/48mm hog rims, on a T-Pro).

Third question: Where can I get some of the adapters that go on my frame, and let me run Vees? I've seen really simple ones, and even though I'm coming into money, I'd like to avoid spending £30 on the Heatsink ones if possible.

Fourth question: I'm fairly sure it should, but will an Echo 4-bolt booster work if I just use the two lower holes?

Finally: I've read you need to boil the pads in water to remove the material. How do I get them to stay in the CNC backings? Do they screw in? Or is it an aroldite job?

Opinions, and any advice regarding this setup will be much appriciated - please don't say "Get another maggie and treat it properly", I've treated them all very well, and I'm not even a harsh rider :huh:

Speedy replies prefered, but not essential.

Cheers,

-Flipp

Edited by Flipp

Vees are the absolute shiznit if you have a decent setup and they're indeed set-up correctly.

The set-up you have described sounds shit hot, I assume you're running a grind?

The heatsink vee adaptors will allow you to run a very wide rim, and they're pretty stiff too I hear. There is no comparison (imo) between a decent vee and a magura. Vees take it every time. If you need any justification of that opinion, alot of top riders use vees and are beasty. Ali C, Felix Mucke , to name a few :).

Good luck with it, should be sweet!

Yes - ground rim.

I've also found these. (Top link... the one with "Save 33%")

Should do shouldn't they?

With those, it'll be a £100 set-up ish.

I can upgrade to the heatsinks at a later date if I really want, but surely those should work?

I have money now, but I don't wanna spend what I don't have to...

Thanks for speedy replies.

Edited by Flipp

those mission ones? I am doubtful to wether they will allow your brake to go wide enough for the 47mm rim. They are also pretty gash!

Its well worth the extra to get something you know will work and work well. heatsink gets my vote.

use some sort of light lube on the cable when you install it, wd40, tf2 or white lightening dry wax all work pretty well.

Set the springs on the arms as slack as they will go while still returning back to pisition, that gives the brake a much smoother lighter feel.

The booster wont fit if you use the heatsink adaptor due to it making the bolt spacing wider, you would have to drill the booster out to take m6 bolts too. Try an echo vee booster, having a booster will really help holding power.

slightly of subject but i was thinking of putting a vee on the rear of my pitbull (heatsink adapters) but not sure about cable routing the only routing on my frame is for gears which is the opposite side to what i need it for v's, but i find running a outer cable all the way makes the brake feel spongy (but not when in stops). anyone any ideas or anyone fitted a v to a pitbull (or similar frame/situation)?

comlpletely random question but has anyone tried a vee set up on mod?

sorry for topic stealing

craig

There tends to be clearance issues with the cable across the top of the arms and the tires from what i have heard of the guys who hasv tried it in th US, a few people have had not troubles, but it has been close.

Adam

I run V's on my echo pure(w/dx32) with a adapter like this. They give a person more leverage, but don't work so well with wide rims because the arms stick out to far.

http://www.observedtrials.net/otn3/DSC03479.JPG

Here is a thread from OTN about a guy using V's for the first time and loving them.

http://www.observedtrials.net/vb/showthrea...8903#post390082

I ran maguras on my Pure and didn't have any problems with them but I always liked how simple V's are. I would never go back now, I love how they have so much holding power when my back tire is hanging on the edge of a ledge and in ever other situation.

Ok.

Looks like I'm going for:

Avid Ultimate Lever+Arms (using standard pads, then switching to Heatsinks in CNC Vee backings later on)

Oddysee Linear Slick Cable

Heatsink Adapter

Echo V Booster

Is this gonna rub my tyre?

Really don't want it to, for all this money.

T-Pro, with 47mm Hog rim, and CreepyCrawler 2.5, with the above brake set-up - yes/no?

Experiance would prove useful please.

I don't mind if it's close, so long as it doesn't actually rub.

Cheers all - and would prefer replies from people running rear V on mods.

Think it should fit, as the '07 Onzas come with Vees standard?

Ok.

Looks like I'm going for:

Avid Ultimate Lever+Arms (using standard pads, then switching to Heatsinks in CNC Vee backings later on)

Oddysee Linear Slick Cable

Heatsink Adapter

Echo V Booster

Is this gonna rub my tyre?

Really don't want it to, for all this money.

Think it should fit, as the '07 Onzas come with Vees standard?

I would recomend that instead of getting ultimates and using the standard pads that your get something like a dewhore or SD7 and with the money saved to buy some heatsink pads, this will give you a MUCH better brake than the ultimates with standard pads, then when u feel you are sure you deffinatly want to stay with vees you can search for some 2nd hand ultimates (Y)

I think you should be ok with clearance, it will be tight, but you should be ok.

Adam

actually there is no need in avid ultimate

im using handmade adaptors+ avid 7+ avid lever+ teflon cable+polyurethane pads+aligator housing and a little of tar

its more than enought to stop rear wheel in any case.

Vees are damn good!

actually there is no need in avid ultimate

im using handmade adaptors+ avid 7+ avid lever+ teflon cable+polyurethane pads+aligator housing and a little of tar

its more than enought to stop rear wheel in any case.

Vees are damn good!

Come on, "even a chipolata would work with tar" (Tart, ages ago :P)

You can not say how good brake is then say you use tar, it means fook all, sorry, but it is true!

Adam

slightly of subject but i was thinking of putting a vee on the rear of my pitbull (heatsink adapters) but not sure about cable routing the only routing on my frame is for gears which is the opposite side to what i need it for v's, but i find running a outer cable all the way makes the brake feel spongy (but not when in stops). anyone any ideas or anyone fitted a v to a pitbull (or similar frame/situation)?

run a full length of odyessy linear slic cable, lubed up and it won't feel spongy :)

I would recomend that instead of getting ultimates and using the standard pads that your get something like a dewhore or SD7 and with the money saved to buy some heatsink pads, this will give you a MUCH better brake than the ultimates with standard pads, then when u feel you are sure you deffinatly want to stay with vees you can search for some 2nd hand ultimates (Y)

I think you should be ok with clearance, it will be tight, but you should be ok.

Adam

And if you would like a 2nd hand sd7 with cable pads and booster as the bigman reccomends, I just so happen to have one for sale in very good condition :)

PM me if you wish.

Rich

Adam

adam you b*****d, i was searching google and CRC for dewhore calipers when i came across the shimano deore range. I feel like such a fool.

please don't say "Get another maggie and treat it properly", I've treated them all very well, and I'm not even a harsh rider :huh:

Who's going to say taht? Everyone knows they're shit.

You're going to have to keep us posted on the result of the vees as I've been thinking about it recently as the problems with my maggies are starting to get annoying. Unless of course the dengura brakes performance doesn't rapidly decline after a years worth of use.

Come on, "even a chipolata would work with tar" (Tart, ages ago )

You can not say how good brake is then say you use tar, it means fook all, sorry, but it is true!

Adam

show me the maggie that works without tar and grind any well?

even if you use good pads the dust will make them work bad in some hours of riding.....

there tree ways to get you brakes realy to BRAKE:

1)a little of tar on one side of rim

2)a little of grind on both sides

3)a water: put water on rim, brake some and then dry

as for pushing power - avid set flex frame mounts on my pitbull seriously

If you run an ultimate then you can put the noodle coming off either side, so you could just put it on the right anyway, and use the gear routing.