What Speakers For Uni..

Dai the Socket

I was wondering whether anyone could shed a bit of light into what set-up everyone uses or did use at University in terms of Speakers for music.

I'm looking at buying some new speakers that are smaller than my current floor standing Mission M33i's (linked to Sony Hifi and CD seperates) due to the obvious lack of space and need at University. I'm hoping to get a Laptop, and thus meaning any speakers will need to work from a 3.5mm stereo input jack thing.

Also, I'm guessing they have to be self-powering / have an amp in them, so that you don't have to have a huge seperate amp, which I really don't have space for. I value my music and enjoy quality, bass and tone, meaning I'd rather pay a little bit more than having your cheapo £12.99 speakers which just play music and die at the word 'bass' let alone tone of it.

My budget is pretty relaxed to be honest, I'm open to ideas and will happily stretch to something more expensive (~£200) if I feel they're worth it, as no doubt I'll keep them for the next few years until I move into somewhere bigger.

I was looking at the JBL Monitors but find it difficult to find out whether they're powered or actually require phono wires from an Amp?

Thanks for any help you can give!!

Nick :)

Remember it's possible to get 3.5 to phono or pretty much anything else you'd need on ebay so on't let that limit you. I run a 3.5 to phono into my amp, which powers two floor standers, will probobly bring it with me to uni cos I can hook up so much to the amp, cd player, all our games consoles, i pod, tv, etc etc. I'll be living in a flat though rather than a halls. Wouldn't bring it if i was in halls....

I've always found Creative systems are pretty good. (Y)

Using a 2.1 system now which was ~£60. I'm very pleased with it, only bad thing is, it won't go to ear drum splitting volume levels. Which obviously isn't going to be needed in Uni halls. Could end up with a few complaints HAHA

I just took my amp & speakers to uni halls with me.

It meant when someone turned on shit music, my good music always went louder than their shit stuff.

If you just picked up some decent mid size speakers and a normal size amp, you'd be sorted.

Check out http://www.richersounds.com/productlist.ph...&sort=price and http://www.richersounds.com/productlist.ph...&sort=price and whack something together within your budget, and you'll be sorted.

I use http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.ph...CONCEPT-MINI-BC those, and have done for the last... 5 years or more, and have never had a problem with them, and they go plenty loud enough.

http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.ph...=WHAR-8.1SE-BLK They look pretty nice, for £80, then pick up something like http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.ph...;pid=CAMB-A5BLK and you've got yourself a decent setup which will last you a while, for under £200.

The amp I'm using is over 20 years old and it still works fine, just to let you know.

Edited by MonsterJ

Maximum Recommended Amplifier Power 125 Watts

the jbl's need powering.

If you search or look by the term active or powered speakers and also remember the watts arent the loudness of the speaker.

3way powered are probanly best but im not the best to advise due to me being in a different realm of speaker use at home.

hope this helps

I'm tempted to get Sound Sticks actually.

My graphics room as school used to have them and I remember them being good, small, punchy bass and look really nice.

Anyone know of anything a little bigger / better but not moving on to floor standers?

I really value the replies, cheers!

i have been using soundsticks for about 10 months now i think.

excellent sound, lots of bass if wanted. design is really nice. lacks real punch at higher levels, doesn't cut through ambient noise (like a loud party) as well as bigger speakers, but for anything less than a big party they're really good.

if you want 2 absolutely brilliantly sounding, loud, tough as f**k speakers the jbl control 1's are what you want. pretty cheap too.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JBL-PRO-Control-1-Bl...1QQcmdZViewItem

you wont find anything better, trust.

you can get them cheaper, especially second hand.. you shouldnt need to worry about them being ragged as much as other speakers as they're just so stupidly tough

if you want surround i've had really good experiances with the logitech systems, creative stuff is always good too though.

Edited by mat hudson

• 2 months later...
I vote soundsticks.... they really are awesome mate!

Stunning looks & sound!

Just like a bit of an update.

I've got my sound sticks and to be honest I'm not all that impressed. They're very, average. Bass isn't as punchy as I expected and they don't go deafeningly loud which is something I was looking for too :P

I'm going to send 'em back and get some M-Audio Studiophile BX5a's which have a spec of:

70 watts of distributed power (30w HF amp, 40w LF amp)

5” low-frequency drivers with:

• curved Kevlar cones

• high-temperature voice coils

• damped rubber surround

1” natural silk high-frequency drivers

requency response: 56Hz-22kHz

crossover frequency: 3kHz

low-frequency amplifier power: 40 watts

high-frequency amplifier power: 30 watts

signal-to-noise: > 100dB (typical A-weighted)

bx5a.jpg

They're RRP £189 but my local computer shop can get them for £165 inc. VAT.

Just like a bit of an update.

I've got my sound sticks and to be honest I'm not all that impressed. They're very, average. Bass isn't as punchy as I expected and they don't go deafeningly loud which is something I was looking for too :P

I'm going to send 'em back and get some M-Audio Studiophile BX5a's which have a spec of:

70 watts of distributed power (30w HF amp, 40w LF amp)

5” low-frequency drivers with:

• curved Kevlar cones

• high-temperature voice coils

• damped rubber surround

1” natural silk high-frequency drivers

requency response: 56Hz-22kHz

crossover frequency: 3kHz

low-frequency amplifier power: 40 watts

high-frequency amplifier power: 30 watts

signal-to-noise: > 100dB (typical A-weighted)

bx5a.jpg

They're RRP £189 but my local computer shop can get them for £165 inc. VAT.

Sorry i didn't see this topic earlier. The design department at uni has these fitted as standard and they are pretty bad. The tutor showed us that the only way to get a decent sound from them was to play the same song through numerous pairs at the same time. He did a direct comparison between these and some logitech cheapy's and the logitechs beat them by so much it was unreal. His words "another classic case of fashion over function".

The M-Audio ones look good, and M-Audio are renound for making good audio components, their sound cards are supposed to be amazing.

Not much use for entertaining friends is it :P

I'm already planning on buying some Sennheiser HD 280 Pro's :)

f**k friends

My FLAC > M-Audio Firewire Audiophile soundcard > Grado SR80's sounds way better than any speakers I've heard, including the high end stuff at the music college I go to.

Think I'm gonna go to Richer Sounds and then Sound Control in leeds to get some speakers at the weekend.

It's pissing me off not being able to get any. If I can't find any I'm gonna take my floor standing ones and my Amp and just put it somewhere like under my laptop on my desk or something.

not trying to invade or anything.. but has anyone experienced the jbl creature 2 speakers?

cheers

My sister's got some. They're okay but not particularly loud, also one of the little creature things (not the sub) has broke and she's only had them 2 years with little use.

Grr I'm getting annoyed now :(

Any suggestions?

The only way you're gonna get what you're after Nick is to go the Speakers & Amp route.

Everyone suggested small Uni like speakers - by nature they can only take so much pressure :)

If you want loud and "ok" sound quality, try a big pair of Acoustic Solutions speakers and a cheap stereo amp - if you want quality then look at things like Q Acoustics, Wharfedale, Mission etc... Not cheap though!