The Car Thread

MadManMike

23 hours ago, RobinJI said:

Yeah, it seems very intuitive in how it handles, it never feels intimidating to throw into a corner. The big side-walls probably help that too. This is my first e36. I had an e61 525d before it, which was great, but very much just a mode of transport. You might be thinking of Boumsong who also has a Scirocco, and I seem to remember having a 328i after it.

Yep, that's the one! 

Seriously considering an E61 as the next car. How did you find it? 

Mechanic just sent me this. Appears the car is finished, minus a few small parts. Rebuild took 413 days. 

rrWChVc.jpg

Tested the car today. Ride height is set, brakes are sort of run in, strange smells went away after the first run, no weird noises. Feel completely at home in it. Suspension needs to be aligned and that's about it. Got it sideways a few times today, love how predictable this thing is although my reactions are a bit slow. Partially blame the 911's I've been driving lately, they all have PSM which almost forces you to react slowly when the car goes sideways. Either way I feel confident to drive this hard. Got some utterly rubbish, worn and old semi-slicks for the initial trackday sessions, then some average Michelin slicks and brand new WTCC Advans to finish the day on.

U4WWf4T.jpg

Friend came over and acted as a spotter for any police on the road. 

owNaTwZ.jpg

And the "couldn't be arsed to shave" shot. 

4Jh88g1.jpg

• Like 10

Had hoped to get an exhaust on to the car today, plus tidy up a few other bits. 18mm of rain stopped that idea fairly promptly :lol:

SunflowerRain.png.b66a34656b0dca2e7535355a86f4fb90.png

Still, gives me a bit of time today to get some words and pictures together and figure out some non-Photobucket hosting for a fresh build thread. Given the PB saga, I've decided to sack off SCN and e38 as they're dead/SceneAsf**k and start fresh (now that the engine/box/turbo shit is largely taken care of it seems a fairly logical point to work from too), though as yet unsure of where to put things. Possibly CGTI, or maybe just chuck it up on ASN/UK-MkIVs since both are a little more active - not too sure how it'd go down with the wrong badge on the front mind...

The other option is to host it all myself, then copy and/or link to the various forums though that takes more away from them which is the opposite of what I'd like to see (in general, not for my own boring shit). Hmm.

• Like 1

Diesel engines thatve sat for a while (couple of years) but were fine beforehand. What should I look at to get it started? Currently charging the battery but just preempting any issues. Should I be dropping the fuel for fresh stuff for instance?

Fresh fuel would be nice, same for oil. Disconnect things electrically and turn it over by hand to make sure nothing's seized. If all ok, plug a few bits in and crank it over on the starter a few times, build some oil pressure etc before connecting up for fuel and turning the key. If it's been sat a while, then there's every chance that hoses may have deteriorated so make sure to give things a good mk1 eyeball beforehand too.

• Like 1

Italian tune up to burn all the shit out and jobs a gooden.

Just followed my dad back in his camper and after about 5 miles it started to smell abit, by the time I got in contact with my mum who was passenger the camper was kicking some grey/blue smoke out the tailgate so he quickly pulled over.

Lifted the lid with the fire extinguisher at the ready to find a fan belt that had snapped, took out both plastic cold air feed pipes so the engine had cooked itself, luckily it hasn't done too much damage internally hopefully. After planning our next move for a few minutes the biggest bang and crashing noise came from the back end. Went to check it to find it's launched a spark plug clean out of the head and into the engine bay :lol:. We got it back, once it had cooled down we checked the threads in the head and it seems the engine got that hot it's thrown the plug clean with no thread damage! Unbelievable, it started up pretty well too once it had cooled.

• Like 2

On 01/09/2017 at 7:28 PM, Greetings said:

Seriously considering an E61 as the next car. How did you find it? 

It was a great car. Really nice to drive in a quiet, comfortable way, and a nice mix of being modern enough to feel comfortable, smooth and effortless, but old enough to be mostly mechanical enough to fix at home and keep going for years if you wanted. (not that anything really went wrong with it in my ownership)

I only sold it because it was immaculate, and I was finding myself wanting something I didn't have to worry about so much. Plus I wanted something that was less of a barge in the narrow back roads around here, and preferably a bit kinder on the wallet to run. A £600 diesel e36 fitted that bill nicely. 

• Like 1

Yeah I didn't know untill I'd seen that one, electric too! I couldn't get over how the roof splits into 2 pieces with the front 1/3 folding under it was a work of art!

They are massive, I'd love to own one some time.

I'd love a '60 Ford sunliner more though, they are just cool..

47f009ee8eb57cdd5cded3f4cc416036.thumb.jpg.f6840743a694705d9ab42e75c8bc4d9e.jpg

I saw one at Worthing hot rod show a few years ago on air ride and it was the sickest thing I'd ever seen, it must've only been about 2ft high :lol:

9 hours ago, MadManMike said:

Awesome colour too

It had a shit load of yellow/gold pearl in the pictures aren't showing it was stunning in the light.

Fairlane steering box came back today and it's awesome, genuinely drives like a modern car other then abit heavy when stationery.

American bodywork literally makes my shit itch.

Paint stripper, why? Just introduces future problems to your job, especially when your going to hit it with a 40g disc after anyway.

Bondo fixes everything.

3 coats of high build primer wet on wet?! That'll sink lovely in a few weeks time.

• Like 1

I went out for a drive tonight, and subsequently turned round and came home. 

Ive still not swapped my road wheels back onto the Civic, semi slicks + rain = a rather interesting drive. 

Feel like I'm losing the love for it and keep looking at DC2 Integra Type R's again. Would do the change in a breath but I think the drop to the 1.8L B18 would have me missing the K20 in no time. Decisions. 

Wouldn't the chief point of buying an ITR be to experience the whole package rather than just focus on the engine? The chassis and dynamics are going to be infinitely better than the Civic, surely? 

I know we all tune our cars, but much fun can be had from experiencing them stock, the way they were intended to be. I'm completely in awe of a bone stock ED9 that's standing in the garage. Can't get over how good it is, wouldn't change a thing.