New Echo 48mm Rim.

Bigman

Righty then, today had a loverly parcel waiting for me at my college's post collection, a nice shinny new Silver Echo 48mm rim and spokes.

After all my lectures i got home and swiftly got it out and marvelled at how much bigger it was than my current Ronnie, once the ronnie was de-built i squared them up and there was such a difference in the size between them, the holes on the echo were almost as wide as the ronnie itself, The sidewall width is also much thicker than i have seen on any other rim before, which can't be a bad thing, especialy with what echo were claiming for with this rim.

gallery_84_50_3028.jpg

The rim seemed very well made, there was no gap at the join like you would expect from a rim such as a koxx. The holes were also finnished very well, no sharp bits left on like i found on my ronnie. Once i had had a quick look,i built the wheel, the rim seemed to build very nicely, just as easily as my ronnie did, but better than a koxx rim, it also built very true which was nice.

Now it is all built, time to add the final touch, and nice grind, it seemed to grind much like a DX32 which in my experience is not a bad thing as they hold grinds very well, the sidewall is not as deep as a Ronnie but setting the brake up was easy enough, although on the BT i had to push the pistons all the way out in the mounts, even though i did this there would still be plenty of room for new pads to fit.

gallery_84_50_12.jpg

The ride, at the moment i have only had a quick 1 hour piss around in the local small town so i can only give a few little impressions, Stability wise you can deffiantly tell that the rim is wider than the ronnie, it feels much more stable on the backwheel than before, this is with lower tyre pressures too. It is also very noticable on side slopes that it is a wide rim, as there is no tyre fold like you would expect from a narrower rim at the same pressure (around 20psi) At this pressure the backend felt nice and springy which felt very nice for sidehops. The tyre doesn't rim out either, as i was trying to hammer it into a few walls to see what would happen.

gallery_84_50_36740.jpg

Like i say, these are only first impressions and i will be keeping check with the rim over the time i have it to see how it handles different situations etc, but first impressions seem promising.

Adam

Edited by Bigman

You're gonna have ot let us know about grind wear-rates :( I'm tempted by the mod rim for the rear, just 'cos my Try-All is a bit waffer. Gonna bosh my Coust pads on when I've got the material + glue though, and see if that eases the wear rates. The Koxx Bloxx rape my Try-All rim...

Cheers for the mini-review & pics anyway :D

Yo bigman, my mate pip got his yesterday, t-limburn on the forum, and its lush. Its solid, super wide looks to hold a grind well and looks the bollox. If my frame could fit such a beast i would definately be running one.

He got a black one with a tarty grind already on.

I really enjoyed reading your review btw.

Edited by ash-kennard

Im getting the Mod one, just have to convince my mam to pay £91 for the whole new rear wheel :D

I also want a pic of how thick the sidewalls are aswell please.

Could you get a pic of the ronnie next to the echo so i can see the diffrent in thickness please?

Thanks, rob!

P.S, looks the bollox like!!!

(im getting greeeeeeeen :( :D )

I also want a pic of how thick the sidewalls are aswell please.

Could you get a pic of the ronnie next to the echo so i can see the diffrent in thickness please?

Its impossible to tell like that - the only way is to measure it.

I get the sidewalls to come out at around 2.0mm, compared to most other rims I have here at 1.25-1.5mm.

Weight is 717g for a 26" rear, pretty decent!

Mark: Yes i will deffiantly be keeping people posted on how well it holds a grind, i am running a set of koxx greens which are quite hard, so i will see how the grind lasts.

Tom: Like said above, i am running koxx greens, and with this rim the brake seems to be pretty much as good as it was on the ronnie, which is a good thing. The RB blade i removed as it was pissing me off due to the adjuster always winding itself off, and also on the BT it feels abit spongey with that blade on, if i get a czar frame i may put it back on again :(

Adam

It has not got eyelets :-

Probably doesnt need them for the strength of them! lol and also they are trying to save weight aswell since they are 50G lighter without the eyelets :(

im looking at 700 of them next to me

700 :D :D :D :D

I wish i was there, would be trying to put them up my top to nick :P

i want one, but echo are queer and only make them in 32hole (Y)

anyone know the special spoke lengths to build a 32hole rim onto a 36h hub? ive seen it done before ;)

are tehy going to make them in 36 hole at all?

i really dont see any advantage in ofering them in 32h only :blink::S:S

Im supprised echo dont do something silly like 34 hole rims with matching hubs just so youve gotta buy the pair.

Huh? They're not Shimano...(mineral oil, dual shifters etc before some wannabe smartass pops up...)

Actually I'm not sure if Echo have done *any* stuff like that? *awaits barrage of examples...*