Medical Trials

Dai the Socket

I'm looking into doing a few medical trials for some quick cash and I'm pretty curious about the whole thing, I appreciate a lot of people don't want to and don't like them, that's fine but I'd rather you didn't comment.

I'm doing one with Covance who are one of the UK's biggest Medical Research companies, based in Leeds. They're finding out the distribution of certain compounds of drugs in bodies via Urine and Blood samples. Some info about Covance is here.

Has anyone done them before? I'm not going to highlight the fact about alcohol and/or drug abuse but I know they'll be able to pick up on the latter one. I'm hoping that a 5-7 day gap between Leeds festival and the actual tests will make it okay.

Thanks for any info you can give :)

I did one this spring. It was with Swedish pharmaceutical giants Astra Zeneca. I was testing some acid reflux medicine.

I basically slept for 3 days totally (2 visits), gave some blood and peed in cups. I did a tilt-test, which was me being strapped to a bed for 30 mins, then raised to 70 degrees inclination for 15, then back down. did it once with the real med and once with placebo. i was close to fainting one time.

made nearly 800 quid. easiest money EVER. it was just lying in bed all day watching telly...

made nearly 800 quid. easiest money EVER. it was just lying in bed all day watching telly...

That's what I'm hoping for :P

Did you have any kind of Acid Reflux to start with or what? I've got a £470 trail booked, 2 night stay which is pretty mega. Was going to do it with a mate but he's in Greece so might just go it alone. They've got Sky, TV's in rooms, Pool tables and stuff, I'm planning on just being lazy.

I am a little concerned about how quickly like Cannabis or such drugs go out of your system, were you especially careful Janson or wasn't it an issue for you? I've got leeds festival the week before :(

Yeah, pretty sure marijuana is traceable up to 30 days. MDMA is much less, maybe up to a week. I'm not sure if they will test for it or what. They may do, and you'd be screwed if they found it - they'd just chuck you off with no money I'd imagine.

There are various levels (phases) of trials - from you being the first time a human has ever taken the drug (= LOTS of money), to working out the dose at which side-effects appear (could be unpleasant if you get some) to when they know the dose and they're sure it won't kill you but they need to prove it actually works better than existing treatment (Sounds like what Janson did).

Basically, the more money, the more risk. Up to you, but just be warned that you don't get £250 a day for doing nothing! I would still probably take that risk, though, personally.

That's what I'm hoping for :P

Did you have any kind of Acid Reflux to start with or what? I've got a £470 trail booked, 2 night stay which is pretty mega. Was going to do it with a mate but he's in Greece so might just go it alone. They've got Sky, TV's in rooms, Pool tables and stuff, I'm planning on just being lazy.

I am a little concerned about how quickly like Cannabis or such drugs go out of your system, were you especially careful Janson or wasn't it an issue for you? I've got leeds festival the week before :(

drugs was never an issue, since i don't do them. did once but that was years ago.

over here, the policy IF they found drugs was that you'd be kicked out from the study. they only called the cops or told anyone if you had hepatit b or aids.

i did not have any reflux problems, and i have none now. the test i did was to see if it affected the blood pressure when a pressure drop occured, like standing up quickly etc.

i went alone and met some nice people there. chatted shit and so on. was good.

i had a plastic tube thingy in my arm the whole time. so that they didn't have to poke me with needles every time they took the blood. it was awkward at first, and limited movement of the elbow somewhat, but it was ok. i think i found it worse than the other guys, who barely noticed.

also i had some portable EKG/ECG stuff on me. self-adhesive connectors all over my upper body and a device big as a laptop battery around my neck, which transmitted my ekg/ecg wirelessly to their computers.

was fun competing who could have the lowest heart rate without holding their breath. i managed 49 i think, one other guy was under 40 and the alarm went of and the doctors came running. :lol:

hope that was a joke, No one should touch the stuff.

Or just dont take drugs? :S

Sorry, don't mean to highlight what I said again, but you're not really adding to the thread. I'm not looking for you to preach at me in life. I'm looking for some info about Medical Trials.

Cheers for the link to erowid. Looks mega informative.

over here, the policy IF they found drugs was that you'd be kicked out from the study. they only called the cops or told anyone if you had hepatit b or aids.

i did not have any reflux problems, and i have none now. the test i did was to see if it affected the blood pressure when a pressure drop occured, like standing up quickly etc.

i went alone and met some nice people there. chatted shit and so on. was good.

I'm surprised they'd phone the cops about Hep B or Aids. Why would they! They're after fit and healthy patients at this place, and they're only Phase 1 trials. I asked about that and the shit has been tested on humans before and is tested in miniscule quantities with no showing sign affects so is pretty safe. I'm looking forward to it :)

it is due to the Smittskyddslagen. Basically, the law states that you have to inform cops/hospitals if you have any of a number of diseases.. so they won't spread and stuff. you obviously won't be put in jail for it but you get forced treatment if i am not mistaken.

Doesn't that go against the point of the medical trial?

Haha! You know what I meant though!

Sorry, don't mean to highlight what I said again, but you're not really adding to the thread. I'm not looking for you to preach at me in life. I'm looking for some info about Medical Trials.

Well I was adding to it, you say you want to do the trial but are worried about drugs being detected, well dont do drugs for a while before it. Then it isnt a problem. Just wait til after the study to get stoned.

Im not here to preach, you know that Nick!

Its not difficult to stay away from drugs for 30 days is it?

Haha! You know what I meant though!

Well I was adding to it, you say you want to do the trial but are worried about drugs being detected, well dont do drugs for a while before it. Then it isnt a problem. Just wait til after the study to get stoned.

Im not here to preach, you know that Nick!

Its not difficult to stay away from drugs for 30 days is it?

Yes? lol. I've got Leeds Festival right before, possibly the best weekend of the year where vast quantities and various types of drugs are consumed, to make it the best weekend of the year. Get me? lol.

Leeds fest isn't leeds fest without the paraphernalia!

Nick,

Don't forget to actually read/ask about what drugs you'll be taking and their purpose! If I remember rightly, you ride a motorbike, and many presciption drugs (let alone trials drugs) do restrict your from riding.

Trying not to put a negative slant on things, but if these trials went wrong (slim chance) you legally won't have much of a leg to stand on until you died :(

I'm not going to talk you out of it but just give it a lot of thought :)

Choose health, not money!

Nick,

Don't forget to actually read/ask about what drugs you'll be taking and their purpose! If I remember rightly, you ride a motorbike, and many presciption drugs (let alone trials drugs) do restrict your from riding.

Trying not to put a negative slant on things, but if these trials went wrong (slim chance) you legally won't have much of a leg to stand on until you died :(

I'm not going to talk you out of it but just give it a lot of thought :)

Choose health, not money!

Hehe. I'm rich with health and poor with money though, I'd rather be ok with both :P

Cheers for the advice, I did already do that actually when I phoned them up a week back. They have had trials with identical chemical compounds already so they are safe and there's been no side effects, and those trials were done 6-7 months ago the guy said.

Cheers :)

Yes? lol. I've got Leeds Festival right before, possibly the best weekend of the year where vast quantities and various types of drugs are consumed, to make it the best weekend of the year. Get me? lol.

Leeds fest isn't leeds fest without the paraphernalia!

the lad speaketh the truth about leeds, although im not doin anythin other than booze this year, honest...well i dont intend too.

as for the medical trials, my mum used to work in a lab as a technician, often working with samples from these kind of trials(back in the 70's wen no one gave a toss about human guinea pigs) and shes suggested me doin them before to get some cash, so she either hates me, or they cant be that bad.

shes said a few time, anything more permanent than a few days side effects wise is very very rare. she was sayin she knew a woman that had gone for her 2nd trial,(was someone one of my mums colleagues had roped into doing it for easy cash) . and she had an allergic reaction to something in the pills she was given to take on a 5 day trial, and had to take 3 weeks off work, due to being rather lethargic(not ill, just uber tired) and the lab had payed for her 3 weeks pay(so she hadnt lose anything) and payed her £900 as compensation(was something stupid like £1.70 an hour for the entire time). but this was back then, so money went a lot further, as my mum commented the woman was gettin payed more per hour as compensation (24/7) than she was gettin payed as a senior lab technician, and the woman was getting her normal pay on top of it.

im sure nothin too bad will happen, yea bad things do happen, but there soo soo rare, its just when they happen we hear about them almost straight away(like the 4 people who ended up in hospital), doing medical trials is probably no more likely to end up in illness or injury requiring hospital treatment than a night on the booze.

Ok so my first post didnt add anything so, one thing i think you should do is obviosuly find out the drug being used, side effects etc, and do ask about what could go wrong, with out wanting to put a negative on it, remember in the news the guy whol lost his toes or fingers or something?. Basicaly take everything into consideration and weigh up both sides up of quick easy money/something goes wrong. All thats probaly me being a pussy about things like this lol, but perhaps something to be considered?