f**ks Sake.

Phatmike

'reet guys.

Got pulled over today, police decided to check over my car, and discovered how badly worn my front tyres were.

End of it is basically I'll get 3 points per tyre = 6 points = license taken off me.

All I wanna know is, is it possible to apply for your test before you've actually had it taken off you. (ie take it say the day after the court date/whatever).

Mike.

Hold on. Is your car fully taxed and m.o.t'd ? If it's fully taxed and M.o.t'd they can't do shit because your car has passed.

As for 3 points per tyre. Thats total bullshit to be honest.

Also isn't it 12 points until you get banned or are you in your first year of driving ?

Danny.

Hold on. Is your car fully taxed and m.o.t'd ? If it's fully taxed and M.o.t'd they can't do shit because your car has passed.

Also isn't it 12 points until you get banned or are you in your first year of driving ?

Danny.

3 x 4 = 12

Its 6 up untill 2 years of driving i think, and yeah its bull shit, and i dont see why there would be a problem taking the test few days after the court case.

3 x 4 = 12

Theres only 2 tyres on the front of a car, normally.... lol.

Matx

Edited by Mat Smith

mike just wait until you got to court to settle it (if you do that in england :S) you might not lose your licence if you can prove you need it for work or something and is it not a 6 month ban if you lose your licence in the first year anyway?

it'll just be 2 worn tyres if mikes in his first year of driving which i think he is.

The exact same thing happened to my mate

and this was three months ago he's still driving with his old license

they should come round at one point and take photos of the tyres for evidence if they havent already

so you could be cheeky and change the tyres before then

but like i said this happened to my mate around three months ago and he still has he license

dont go worrying just yet

Alexxx

Say someone pikeyed your non bald tyres and swapped them for their nova's bald ones or something.

On a serious note, i really don't think you get points for each tyre, i don't even think you get points for that, i thought it was a sort of fixed penalty/ notice where you HAD to get it done within 14 days or something, and if you hadn't done it then they'd take action.

Were they proerly worn? Like, obviously worn, or just boarderline.

Yeah, I think maybe if they are like 'slick', you were probably asking to be pulled.. but maybe if they had some tread left, your punishment was harshh.

For it to be legal at least 1.6mm throughout a continuous band in the centre ¾ of the tread and around the entire circumference should exist.. of tread.

Danny.

It might have been an MOT 11 months ago when there was 1.7mm of tread on the tyre? 11 months on theres 1.3mm, making them illegal.

And how is 3 points per tyre bullshit?

I doubt you can get your license took off you for two bald tyres.

Still, bad luck.

The laws the law to be honest thou, 3 points per over worn tyre, first year 2 years of driving, points are doubled, therefor 6 points, 2 tyres = 12 points.

Hard luck thou Mike, I hate it when you don't notice things on your car which could make it illegal/ unsafe. sucks so bad.

Edited by Tom Booth

The laws the law to be honest thou, 3 points per over worn tyre, first year 2 years of driving, points are doubled, therefor 6 points, 2 tyres = 12 points.

Points aren't doubled. You're just only allowed 6.

Unlucky though Mike. I guess that's yet another reminder as to just how expensive it is to run and maintain a car.

Same thing :turned: In a fashion.

Nope, becasue the number of points sticks around for five years, otherwise if you got more points ouside of the two year period then you could lose your licence all over again by not even having 12 points.

Also Mike, I really cannot see how they'll take you licence off of you if the car had passed an m.o.t. The mechanic who did the last test would have said wether or not the tyres would last until the next m.o.t. Might be an idea to have a look back through the service history just in case, see if theres any notes or anything...

Hope it all sorts itself out mate.

Rich

Meh, tyres were noticeably worn, and I bought them & the wheels separately from the car.

I even have new ones in the post, which I told them, but as they (correctly in all fairness), said "they're no good in the post".

Will see what happens anyway.

I didn't start it as a discussion topic really, just wondered if anyone knew the answer to my question in the 1st post..

Unfortunately the MOT has got f'all to do with it. The driver is responsible for ensuring his vehicle is roadworthy at all times, not just on the day of the MOT. Don't forget, you can get fines/points for other things, like lights not working, etc. It's all to do with safety, as obviously worn tyres aren't safe.

However, I think Mike's been unlucky getting caught like that, and losing his license. Personally I badly need to replace my front brake pads - that's probably more dangerous than the tyres, but it's easy to let things slide (no pun intended...).

ouch, i'm glad i'm ultra fussy about maintaining my car...well, safety wise anyway

how badly worn were they? are they properly over the limit, or verging on it? if they are verging on it, then they may be lenient in court, i doubt it though, its easy money

realistically all you can do is wait and hope nothing becomes of it. my friend lost his license quite early on from speeding, and wasn't allowed to book a retest until after his license was taken away, he had to reapply for his provisional and re take his theory. he was lucky and got a test 2 weeks after the theory and passed fine :) so i really wouldn't worry, the only thing i'd worry about is paying the fine and for another test!

Unlucky Mike. I'd like to think the court would see how unlucky it is and give you 5 points instead, then leave you one more mistake, however when was the last time you head of a courte being nice! Think one of my tyres is on the verge, will get it checked asap, as i'd prefer to pay money towards new tyres than on a fine!

Eh? Tyre checks are standard procedure for pulling anyone up for ANYTHING. Police can do what they like, and they will. MOT means f**k all mate in a situation like this, tyres can last a month if you want them too...an MOT lasts a year, sort of cancels everything out.

It is a bit shit I agree, but its the way it goes I'm afraid :( Try appealing for it? New tyres and proof of purchase and fitting? They might revoke them if you have a clean slate with them. Anythings worth a try, the cost of 4 new tyres will be cheaper then retaking your test!