Czar Riders Beware.....

Bigman

Right, as many people know i have an 07 czar, and look what i found on it today after Ali C said to check....

post-84-1202058243_thumb.jpg

Obviously the crack is circled, and quite obvious, it is where the chainstay is welded onto the yoke, Ali's went there too....

Adam

that's the 1st crack i've heard of on a Czar!

thought they were pretty sterdy!

Yeh, i thought they would have been too, And it is not the first, Ali C found a crack in his before i found mine.....

does the same thing happen to the 20" ones, or isit just 26" ?

I don't know about the 20inch frames...

Adam

Well, just send it back to Tarty to have it replaced :P

Unusual though.

Tis out of warrenty :P

But that means nothing as my frame was full of holes! Very surpised it did not fail wher ei had drilled/removed material.

Adam

But that means nothing as my frame was full of holes! Very surpised it did not fail wher ei had drilled/removed material.

Adam

All this goes to show that further testing/design and analysis needs to be done on trials frames.

It doesnt realy need to be happening.

Adam

Tough Luck adam mate

why the need to drill/remove materail from your frame i personally think this whole weight saving stuff has gone to far.

The drillings/material removal weren't the thing that caused it to fail, so it doesn't really appear to be doing anything bad...

You can't know that for sure, if you remove the material from one place, the stress that it took (even if very minimal) must be taken up somewhere else...

If no one pushed the limits we'd all still be on steel XC bikes. I think its great how trials riders arnt afriad to modify any part on their bikes. You don't really see it from the riders in any other areas of mountainbiking.

That's because their parts are usually specific to the job and have been properly researched and tested. Not like the stuff we get pumped out of China...

You can't know that for sure, if you remove the material from one place, the stress that it took (even if very minimal) must be taken up somewhere else...

I know that, but the main place that people seem to be hacking bits out of their frames on is the face of the headtube and the bottom of the BB shell, which really won't have affected that at all. The Eastern Grim Reaper frame also has those holes, and it's also never failed around them, or indeed pretty much anywhere, despite it being steel and weighing in at just over 4.5lbs. Cracking around that area seems to be fairly common on a selection of frames - I know it's happened to one of mine before, and I've never taken anything bad to my frames apart from a hacksaw and a file (brake mounts and drop-outs).

I know that, but the main place that people seem to be hacking bits out of their frames on is the face of the headtube and the bottom of the BB shell, which really won't have affected that at all. The Eastern Grim Reaper frame also has those holes, and it's also never failed around them, or indeed pretty much anywhere, despite it being steel and weighing in at just over 4.5lbs. Cracking around that area seems to be fairly common on a selection of frames - I know it's happened to one of mine before, and I've never taken anything bad to my frames apart from a hacksaw and a file (brake mounts and drop-outs).

I 100% agree that in certain places it has litte to no effect on the overall strength but you can't be sure of that without extensive CAD testing.

Adam had taken material away from the seattube which may have had an effect. But yes you're right frames with forged plates instead of CNCd yokes tend to go around that area. Probably where my Zhi will go :(

Makes you think if this could happen to the 08 GU Typhoon frame design. all these new low top tube frame designs are effectively putting greater stress those areas around the yoke than ever before. form and design cosmetics are overshadowing function/strength.

it may have something to do with the BB area being so stiff the next possible place for the frame to crack/fracture is the chainstay.

i remember/hopefully others will too, alot of frames cracked around the seat tube???? if they didnt break there, they usually broke somewhere along the chainstay???

Maybe this is a weak point for the material, and driveside is where all the force goes through the chain and down to the rear wheel.

At the end of the day people shouldnt be suprised, it was only a matter of time before something deng started breaking, but with the price of alot of he deng stuff people could/can afford to change their frames when they want that they dont get into the state of "battered" or "abused". NOTHING is indestructable! Everything WILL break, its a matter and a fact of life. (unfortunatly)

Wayne.

I 100% agree that in certain places it has litte to no effect on the overall strength but you can't be sure of that without extensive CAD testing.

Adam had taken material away from the seattube which may have had an effect. But yes you're right frames with forged plates instead of CNCd yokes tend to go around that area. Probably where my Zhi will go :(

You have a ZHI??

Anyhoo, how long were you riding the Czar for?

get it rewelded and braced both sides but take it to a high quality engineer and it should be stronger than ever before (Y)

p.s dont skimp out on the quality of the welding

non of that will matter unless you it reheat treated. It will just crack within no time otherwise