F1

Fish-Finger-er

• 3 weeks later...

As Toto said though, if Hamilton lost the title by a couple of points they'd look like they'd really f**ked up.  50pts is a pretty big psychological thing just because that's 2 DNFs with Vettel getting 2 race wins, and they're still in a relatively good position.  It just takes some heat off them, more so than 'only' being 43pts ahead.

Can see why they did it but it's still a sack of dicks.  Bottas earned that win.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It's a tricky one though - that move was pretty Vettel-esque from his recent attempts at 'overtaking' people.  Can see why Max wouldn't have thought Ocon would have still been there as people had generally backed out of moves like that (e.g. Bottas/Ricciardo), but mirrors/giving more room would have been a safer bet.  Ocon could probably have just held off and used the next DRS zone too seeing as the Force Indias are pretty rapid in a straight line.  Benefits of hindsight/armchair expert-ing...

To me, if that was a battle for the lead I would have said 50/50 blame, Ocon didn’t back out and Verstappen didn’t give room to a car that was at least alongside. The only reason Ocon got a penalty seems to be because he was unlapping which sucks balls. 

Yeah, that’s the nature of f1 at the minute(and probably forever)...

i didn’t watch the race, and haven’t bothered with the last three. I’m a big fan of f1 but it’s just such a lame series at the moment. Everything about the cars seem just dull - the rediculous weight and stupidly complex ‘green’ engine, the increasingly complex Aero to get round an increasingly complex rule book. (Nothing new just iterative minute details). The tyres! 

The  squabbling is dull and the increasing numbers of drivers without the actual talent but with the pay check, leading to less drivers making a difference. 

I love the technology of f1, but it’s just so dull right now as a racing series.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
13 hours ago, monkeyseemonkeydo said:

The Redbull looks like it's still in camouflage paint to stop people seeing exactly what it's like.

It is - it's a one-off test livery, according to Red Bull.

This was an interesting thing picked up on on the Mercedes:

"Perhaps most saliently, Mercedes has decided to break with a trend prevalent in the previous series of launched cars. The trailing edge of the front wing endplates fold inwards, which almost seems counterproductive in clawing back the outwash lost in 2019's ruleset. Looking back at 2009, when the first breed of wide front wings were brought in, Renault and McLaren both emerged in testing with inwash wings, completely missing the outwash trick that the remainder of the field had picked up on.

Of course, we wouldn't expect such a gross oversight from a team as dominant as Mercedes. This could potentially be nothing more than a red herring, but could also be a different approach to directing airflow outboard; in combination with the flap adjuster on the top element, it could potentially act as a nozzle, in effect creating a jet of airflow and pushing it outboard."

• Like 1

I’m intrigued by what’s going on with that Alfa front wing, if that’s the design style they’ve gone with it’ll be interesting to know the thoughts behind it.

Excited to see how the season develops. Should we put down some T-F predictions to look back on at the end of the season? Winner gets some T-F stickers.

14 hours ago, Duncy H said:

I’m intrigued by what’s going on with that Alfa front wing, if that’s the design style they’ve gone with it’ll be interesting to know the thoughts behind it.

Word.  Maybe now they're essentially the Ferrari B-Team they've been told to use it to see what it's like and whether it'll suit the main team? ;) 

In case people haven't seen it, hopefully this image works...

161f947b6570220ac906c245202b7d12.jpg

Slightly better angle:

alfawing.jpg

Seems Toro Rosso have got a different wing on now to what they launched the car with, going for that similar taper vibe further out on the wing:

Toro-Rosso-Wing.jpg

Predictions:

Dawning realisation of what it's actually like to be in a team like SauberAlfa for Kimi half way through testing, and to just start turning up in the Ferrari garage instead.

Christian Horner taping his mouth shut to avoid saying "Honda are shit" after they only manage 5 laps in testing due to reliability issues.

Daniel Ricciardo's smile inverting after the first session in the Renault.

Vettel's "I'm a fun, cool guy now" persona fully deteriorating when Leclerc becomes the new fun, cool guy at Ferrari.