Fat Pants: Epic Win, Or Epic Fail?

Fixed Pants™

my uni is absolutely free. just need to buy the books every other month.

suck on that!

:( - I'm just, just, speechless (N) For the first time in my life, GAHH!

After all these comments, which I agree with, he's bound to come back and tell us all he's right... (Even though we are mostly older and got the t-shirt already)

lol.

edit: I work evenings and weekends. Now I know my career path is predominantly an evening thing, but still Glen, you could work weekends? Think about it. Abuse the system while you can!...

Edited by Hendrix

After all these comments, which I agree with, he's bound to come back and tell us all he's right... (Even though we are mostly older and got the t-shirt already)

I'd like to say I literally do have the Evans t-shirt already, but I left it - along with my name-tag - in work when I decided I wasn't going back there ever again.

But yeah, £6K in fees so far. Ouch. Hendrix - thank the Labour government and their "We aren't going to massively increase uni fees - oh wait, yeah we are" manifesto pledges ;)

I'd like to say I literally do have the Evans t-shirt already, but I left it - along with my name-tag - in work when I decided I wasn't going back there ever again.

But yeah, £6K in fees so far. Ouch. Hendrix - thank the Labour government and their "We aren't going to massively increase uni fees - oh wait, yeah we are" manifesto pledges ;)

The next year is on a Student Loan, so I'm fine on that. And my mum cleverly found a maintenance grant for my travelling. And my travelling is about £2k a year now, thank you South West Trains O_O...

has anyone thought maybe fatpants is doing the right thing, hes gettin a low paid job with no prospects, hes sleeping with a girlfriend and getting pregnancy scares, hes probably getting drunk on canned beer right now.

for a lad of 16, hes moving his way up the benefit ladder pretty well, wont be long, till your claiming disability, while working cash in hand roofing,and selling pills down the coach and horses, then youll really of made it in life.

fat pants, quit college by all means, but dont waste your life working in a bike shop, if a bloke came to our place with cytech training, and could build bikes nice and quick, and knew a bit of health and safety, wed kick him out the office so hard hed land 14 vehicles away. much better getting an apprenticeship somewhere. evans wont lead to nothing, apart from a low payed management job,that is more of a receptionist/paper pusher with more ball ache, as opposed to a decision making, money making job.

just for reference, i know a lad, working in asda, stacking shelves, 10pm-6am, 5 days a week, pre tax hes on £18.5k a year, which is way more than what evans pay, and hes a shelf stacker, but id honestly say that jobs got just as higher, if not higher prospects than working for evans.

biking soon wont be your passion, i work with vehicles, there no longer my passion, i worked with food for a few months, i never cook no more,i used to cook a lot.

has anyone thought maybe fatpants is doing the right thing, hes gettin a low paid job with no prospects, hes sleeping with a girlfriend and getting pregnancy scares, hes probably getting drunk on canned beer right now.

for a lad of 16, hes moving his way up the benefit ladder pretty well, wont be long, till your claiming disability, while working cash in hand roofing,and selling pills down the coach and horses, then youll really of made it in life.

fat pants, quit college by all means, but dont waste your life working in a bike shop, if a bloke came to our place with cytech training, and could build bikes nice and quick, and knew a bit of health and safety, wed kick him out the office so hard hed land 14 vehicles away. much better getting an apprenticeship somewhere. evans wont lead to nothing, apart from a low payed management job,that is more of a receptionist/paper pusher with more ball ache, as opposed to a decision making, money making job.

just for reference, i know a lad, working in asda, stacking shelves, 10pm-6am, 5 days a week, pre tax hes on £18.5k a year, which is way more than what evans pay, and hes a shelf stacker, but id honestly say that jobs got just as higher, if not higher prospects than working for evans.

biking soon wont be your passion, i work with vehicles, there no longer my passion, i worked with food for a few months, i never cook no more,i used to cook a lot.

Bit close to the bone there?

college isn't the be all and end all of employment prospects.

?

College/apprenticeships/etc. aren't the 'be all and end all', but going into a job with no prospects when you could be getting a free qualification that really opens doors isn't a great idea.

To back up what Mr.Punk said, riding is a release (for me, at least). The reason it's so good is that it's totally different to everything else in life, so if I'm pissed off I can go nibble Kennington Bowl and not worry about shit. If your 'release' becomes your life, it tends to f**k up a bit.

Pete wants the summer to arrive so he can go do some DWS says:

can you mergE the 'pants stuff into a new thread please?

Mark says:

That will be effort, but I'm willing to just for you

Pete wants the summer to arrive so he can go do some DWS says:

can you edit my MSN name

TIC says:

no one will know me as pete lol

I don't know the full details of your situation, but really you have to think about your future at this time, where do you see your self in five years time? college after wasting time working in Evans? uni? floating about an office in a suit? doing something more hands on? claiming as much benefits as possible and working on the side to support your pregnant girlfriend? I don't know, but i can guess which ones i'd prefer

if you honestly think think you'd enjoy working in a bike shop for years on end then go for it, there is a lot of money to be made if you have your own bike shop, but doing a couple of years and then going to college seems a bit of a waste of time to me take the education for free or even try and get an apprenticeship you can't regret doing either of these things but you can easily regret wasting years of your life.

anyway it's your decision so go with what you feel is right.

To be honest, if you're dead set on doing this job, try and find a college course/apprenticeship/whatever you think you might be interested in, sort it out so you start next September, then after working this Evans job over the summer you'll know if you really want to spend the next few years doing it. If you do: Carry on. If you don't: You've got a college course/apprenticeship/whatever waiting for you.

Done editing that post yet? :P

Lol, yeah... was gonna write some kinda smart reply, but thought whats the point... being young is all about making mistakes and learning from them, otherwise we'd only do what we'd read in books or others had done. Im sure in a few months time he'll decide its not for him, or that he feels stuck in a rut... but until then, its all about learning.

and 12k a year

What the f**k?

Can't believe your even considering it. For a start, you can get more than that for a bog standard part time job. I know two people that work 3 days a week and are on £16K, all they are qualified to are A-levels. Granted, desk jobs aren't something you want to do - me neither! But find a compromise. Do something your vaguely interested in, that pays vaguely well, and just do bikes etc after work and on weekends. If you find yourself 3 years down the line thinking 'ah, this is shit, i hate my life and i want to kill myself' you could go and be a tool@evanscycles then. Or even better, in your time after and around doing academic job 'x' you could start your own bike related business?

Its obvious to me that your not thick, from your posts and from meeting you in person - it'll just take a bit of effort now to try and pull something out of the bag at college. Do it, two fingers to evans cycles.