Technically Sound Or Wacky Idea!

Rusevelt

Has anyone experiemented with this crazy idea :S to increase pedal torque power by running opposite length cranks? the idea came to fruitition when i was playing around doing trackstands and stamping on the pedals with my leading right foot, and was just wondering about running 160mm on my left crank arm, and keeping 170mm on the right crank arm. it shouldn't feel too weird pedalling wise with 10mm difference (maybe a little weird) and because i rely on my leading right foot/pedal to maintain backwheel control, again it shouldn't feel too alien in maintaining balance. maybe someone out with some spare old cranks might give it a go........just a crazy thought! :S

You'd be surprised just how little a difference in crank length our bodies will notice, I accidently used a pair of cranks with 5mm difference and it was very strange, it would take a fair bit of getting used to.

it would feel totally weird and you wouldn't even be able to ride properly.
Well i was originally thinking 5mm crank length difference but you wouldn't feel much benefit. but if you ran 15mm difference it would totally unrideable.

Used a 170/175mm combo (one crank broke so i had to replace it with whatever i had at home).

Didn't feel that weird, got used to it quickly. Didn't notice any increase in power even though the long crank was for my lead foot. But that's just 5mm difference, 10 could be a bit different.

This thread made me think of those old school 26 inch bikes, but with a 24'' wheel fitted for the rear.

My friend is running that set up till now, because he was sponsored a few years back (till the shop closed down in 2002) and he keeps taco-ing the rear wheel, so his sponsor gave him a 24'' wheel to solve all the taco-ing problems.

26-24 set up makes it easier to jump up.

Here's some of his videos:

Youtube Video ->
">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

This thread made me think of those old school 26 inch bikes, but with a 24'' wheel fitted for the rear.

My friend is running that set up till now, because he was sponsored a few years back (till the shop closed down in 2002) and he keeps taco-ing the rear wheel, so his sponsor gave him a 24'' wheel to solve all the taco-ing problems.

26-24 set up makes it easier to jump up.

All that would do is increase this bottom bracket height and slacken the head angle...same effect as running a "mock" .. a mod with stock forks and front wheel

Why would decreasing the length of one crank = more power?!

Surely the answer is to have longer cranks to increase leverage on both sides.......

i ran 175 / 170 for ages and couldn't even tell the difference