Try-all Ti-nesium Pedals.

Alex-Mitchinson

how will these pedals be better than ordinary magnesium pedals, im aware of the ti but surely they cant be much stronger?. because ive never snapped/cracked/bent any pedals in my life time, all ive done is lost the odd pin.

the only difference i have noticed is that if you spend an extra 100quid you can save 62grams from the trial-tech magnesium pedals.........surely you have to be blind and buy them accidently rather than buying other magnesium pedals

how will these pedals be better than ordinary magnesium pedals, im aware of the ti but surely they cant be much stronger?. because ive never snapped/cracked/bent any pedals in my life time, all ive done is lost the odd pin.

the only difference i have noticed is that if you spend an extra 100quid you can save 62grams from the trial-tech magnesium pedals.........surely you have to be blind and buy them accidently rather than buying other magnesium pedals

Losing weight costs a lot of money, titanium is roughly 55% the weight of steel but as strong :)

Losing weight costs a lot of money, titanium is roughly 55% the weight of steel but as strong :)

it may be just over half the weight of steel, but it certainly isnt as strong! just has a higher strength per unit mass.

CRC

But don't forget neither Koxx nor tarty has the same luxuarys of economys of scale that companys like Welgo and CRC have... unsupprisingly that can make a massive difference. Like Maccy D VS a single fast food restuarant. Also Koxx's image is expensive, like me sitting here in a Fred Perry Tee which cost me 30quid but im sure i could get the same tee without a logo for under a fiver.

A lack of raw materials is likely to push up the retail price of bikes between eight and ten per cent this year according to word coming out of this year’s Taipei International Cycle Show.

The shortage in butyl – used to make inner tubes – has resulted in a 42% price increase, with tyre prices as well as other components also set to increase.

Chinese steel plants which are due to close before and during the Olympics in order to reduce the air pollution are also likely to cause uncertainty within the bike industry. Their closure will result in a shortage of the steel upon which the industry still remains so dependent.

So, if the news coming out of the Far East is to be believed, you may not want to delay the purchase of that new bike very much longer.

Un-related, but there was also this on the same page...

In a ruling that could set a worrying precedent for British cycle importers, an East Sussex bike importer has been found liable for an accident which left a mountain bike rider with serious head injuries.

Alan Ide, formerly a self-employed accountant and now aged 49, crashed while riding his 1999 model Marin Rift Zone down a hill in the South Downs in 2002. He was found unconscious next to his bike from which the left handlebar had been sheared. He subsequently sued ATB Sales of St Leonards-on-Sea under the UK’s Consumer Protection Act which renders importers liable for any defective goods they sell.

The action was brought on the grounds that the company sold a bike with handlebars that were defective as a result of faulty manufacturing and that suffered a catastrophic failure while Mr Ide was riding under normal conditions.

Mr Ide lost his sense of taste and smell and suffers from impaired memory and concentration as a result of the accident.

ATB Sales, however, had claimed the damage to the bars could have occurred as a result of the impact as the rider lost control and crashed.

At the original trial in July 2007 a judge found in favour of Mr Ide, after which ATB Sales appealed on the basis that the judge was not entitled to conclude that Mr Ide had proven his case, simply on the basis that the alternative scenario of the bar breaking upon impact had been rejected.

In his ruling Lord Justice Thomas disagreed and said that the orginal judge, Mr Justice Gray, “did not use any impermissible train of reasoning” in reaching his conclusion.

The ruling clears the way for Mr Ide to claim substantial damages.

So his bars were 3 years old and they snapped? fair enough he was riding along but come on . .

losing taste and smell must be prettay shitty in fairness though

Sounds like a totally BS case... Surely if the bars were faulty the buck stops at the bar manufacturer. What are the importers supposed to do? X-ray every bike and component they sell and carry out strict metallurgical tests to ensure nothing ever breaks in the lifetime of the bicycle? Impossible. I'm sure all bikes come with stickers and instructions ensuring the rider knows that bikes are inherently dangerous and any failure due to 'mistreatment' (which can usually be taken as riding off a kerb) is the responsibility of the rider and not of the manufacturer (or of course retailer).

Mag cages? Danger, surely? Like how the pins 'n' stuff strip out of magnesium bodies 'cos they're softer, I'd have thought mag cages would've bent easier than the regular cages do? We'll see I guess.

The whole point about the VP double cage pedals was that they were so cheap it didn't matter that if you broke them, which you undoubtebly would, so I wouldn't have thought adding a bigger price tag would've been desireable. But yeah, like I said, we'll see how they go (Y)

If you mean 'alu cage' in the style of VP double cages, the main problem I'd see is that the cages would snap really easily? My cages bent all the time, so if they were alu, I'd imagine they'd crack/snap pretty fast.

If you mean 'alu cage' in the style of VP double cages, the main problem I'd see is that the cages would snap really easily? My cages bent all the time, so if they were alu, I'd imagine they'd crack/snap pretty fast.
I guess the only option is an alu body, steel cages, with ti axles. and maybe ti bolts to secure the cages to the main pedal body. the ultimate cage pedal.

I guess the only option is an alu body, steel cages, with ti axles. and maybe ti bolts to secure the cages to the main pedal body. the ultimate cage pedal.

Yeah. However, then your still left with - cage pedals are wank...

the cages are already made of aluminium.

Really? I assumed they were steel 'cos of how pliable they are. Like how you can bend them into any shape you want (Inner cage sculptures ftw) - I didn't think a sheet of alu could handle that.

They're f**king rediculous.

Just cos they're french wanky try-all shit, they can charge stupid amounts.

Read das thread ;)

Really? I assumed they were steel 'cos of how pliable they are. Like how you can bend them into any shape you want (Inner cage sculptures ftw) - I didn't think a sheet of alu could handle that.

It's more likely some b*****d alloy that someone has cooked up with all the scrap shite in the factory. I know my last cheapo set of pedals was something like that.....