Woah, Frame Cutting!

Krisboats

Up until recently, this pile of junk is what i've been riding :lol:. Note the parcel tape as a cable tie, ruined downtube sticker that used to be my name and a very sketchily done headtube slot.

img0352desktopresolutiove4.jpg

Well, i thought i'd jazz it up a bit for the dj ride so i got the grinder, dremel and spray paint out and ended up with the following....

img1462desktopresolutionz0.jpg

img1465desktopresolutiorb6.jpg

img1469desktopresolutiofb9.jpg

img1654copydesktopresolhf9.jpg

img1674desktopresolutioxc5.jpg

Onza t-rex (drilled etc)

Smart guys

Echo 130mm stem

Onza carbon 30" bars

RB Lever

Maggie on back with neco yellows in cnc backings

180mm BB7 on front

Super pro trials burns

Onza front wheel

Pro 2 on back with echo 07

Excellent job Kris(Y) Huge improvement compared to the previous looks!

Cheers mate, might get out and about on it a bit more so you should be seeing me at random brum rides and stuff in the next few weeks.

Out of intrest is ur rb bled with water or oil mate ?

Good old water.

it looks like you've taken those super magnets off ur chain (N)lol

Ha ha, yeah they're now on the pliers.

ooo...looks right nice now (Y)

can't really see what you've done with the dremel..list? do you have a favourite bit..? i like the fibreglass reinforced cutting disc- tis immense! and the brushes make stuff so shiny..:P

love dremel.

Ha ha, sounds like you've got quite a lust for mini power tools there :P

I cut a hole out the headtube and then the two support beam things near the brake/seat tube area have slots cut into them where i literally just shoved the angle grinder through the frame.

As I said on Saturday, it looks really nice, Kristophski

SUPBAN.jpg

:D cheers dude, got stickers with my name on now too :D:lol:

:o Looks well nice mate! You've done a good job.

How much does it weigh now? I can remember it being ridiculously light already! My t-rex weighed 12.48kg :(

:D I have absolutely no idea on the weight of it. Havn't even got a hose pipe in this house (outside really i guess) let alone a set of scales :lol:

what dremel do you use, i was thinkin' about buying one, link?

I can only recommend that you dont buy a cheap dremel copy cos they dont really work as well. As long as its an actual dremel I dont think you can go wrong.

what dremel do you use, i was thinkin' about buying one, link?

It was a cheapy one, from woolworths i think.

Looks cool (Y)

Do those 'missing sections' create any noticable flex, or lack in stiffness compared to before?

And how much weight do you think you saved?

Cheers, nah, no more flexy than before... feels exactly the same. I reckon i saved about 10 grams :lol:, nah seriously though... i don't know how much, i just did it for the pimp factor. Its about time i change my frame anyway, so i figured i'd see how much i could get away with drilling whilst still keeping it safe seeing as how the frame won't even fetch £50 anymore.

I can only recommend that you dont buy a cheap dremel copy cos they dont really work as well. As long as its an actual dremel I dont think you can go wrong.

So long as it spins its all good, just make sure you have a decent cutting bit ;) I use the £6-7 multi cutting disc pack from B&Q and more specifically the angle grinder discs that are in it (comes with loads of cutting/grinding discs and some f**king LETHAL mini circular saws). Even on my crappy dremel the bits cut through the frame like it was nothing. I think the only thing a genuine dremel is better for would be heat dissipation. if the motor can stay cooler it stays spinning faster, mine gets quite hot and if its quite a tough thing i'm trying to cut through it'll slow down slightly.

It looks really good :)

Not sure about this whole frame modding craze though, lots of people are doing it now = we'll hear of many frames snapping in about 2 months time? :P

Cheers mate, i reckon a lot of frames might snap yeah, especially if people go over the top... although this is a rex... even with drilling and filing its built to last :lol: