How User-friendly Is My Site?

MadManMike

Right, just been playing about with the layout and stuff of my site, download section mainly.

Things I know suck:

Buttons at the top.

General colour scheme.

Now, the main reason for posting here is because I want to see how many people can locate and download my latest mix. It was recorded in May.

No more clues, see if you can easily find and download it.

Thanks y'all :)

One thing i think it needs is a way back to the home page ? Possibly make the logo on the right a link back ? Might have missed it but i can't find a home button ?

The only reason I haven't put a link to the homepage anywhere is because there's nothing to go back to the homepage for really :)

I need to put something there, music streamer or something...

I like basic though :) Not many people share that view but it loads extremely fast when it's basic, no moving flashing images or anything.

Personal preference but I much prefer basic sites.

What would you guys add? All comments will be taken into consideration :)

Made the TS logo at the top a link to home on all pages, and added some simple Flash to the home page.

Thoughts?

Yeah, why have you used flash? You can do that in CSS pretty easily (sure you realise that already though). Most other simple flash style effects can be done using a JS library, theres loads about. JQuery is nice, makes javascript easy. Next time you're thinking about spending 20 mins on flash, do yourself a favour and read this instead http://15daysofjquery.com/table-striping-made-easy/5/ :P very good example of how easy effects can be.

I think it would be better if it had the next events thing in that actual column, maybe if its just the next few days (weeks maybe? next like 3 events) rather than that link, less clicking, and seeing as you have all that empty space there already you may aswell....

i actually like the colour scheme aswell.

Edited by Joe_Elding

Yeah, why have you used flash? You can do that in CSS pretty easily (sure you realise that already though). Most other simple flash style effects can be done using a JS library, theres loads about. JQuery is nice, makes javascript easy. Next time you're thinking about spending 20 mins on flash, do yourself a favour and read this instead http://15daysofjquery.com/table-striping-made-easy/5/ :P very good example of how easy effects can be.

I use Dreamweaver, so the Flash was an "Insert > Media > Flash Text" jobby, literally select two colours and a link... And what you want the text to say :)

My last site was done in CSS, but I can't be arsed with it, I'm too old skool for it haha.

I think it would be better if it had the next events thing in that actual column, maybe if its just the next few days (weeks maybe? next like 3 events) rather than that link, less clicking, and seeing as you have all that empty space there already you may aswell....

i actually like the colour scheme aswell.

The problem with using the event column (Like I used to) is that once an event goes or one is added, I have to add that event / take the event away from like 9 HTML pages, which takes a while. Not that long, but it's easier to have 'em all on one page. Plus at least when you go to the Events page you get to see flyers :)

If there was a quick way of linking all the pages so that I could update one and the others get updated then I'd do it - I know it can be done, but as my site is at the moment it can't be. (As far as I know?)

If there was a quick way of linking all the pages so that I could update one and the others get updated then I'd do it - I know it can be done, but as my site is at the moment it can't be. (As far as I know?)

My brains a bit fudged but i'd say (in order of most laziness) you could -

1. Leave it as it is

2. Use html/ssi includes (does anyone use these any more?!)

3. Use something like wordpress and build your site using that

4. Learn php

Option 2 is probably worth looking into - its easy and will probably let you do what you want. You might need to rename the page to .shtml on any page where you use server side includes.

All your posters are black, blue, white, etc., which are the colours people would associate with "Technical Science", yet the site is in grey, grey and grey, with a bit of orange? Just thought it'd be cool to have the site colours tied in with the branding you've already done for Technical Science?

The only thing that annoys me( as a user with no knowledge, so the ideal visitor ;) ) is that the nav bars at the top have a arrow next to them which suggests to me that there will be a drop down menu, but their isn't. More of a pet peeve really.

All your posters are black, blue, white, etc., which are the colours people would associate with "Technical Science", yet the site is in grey, grey and grey, with a bit of orange? Just thought it'd be cool to have the site colours tied in with the branding you've already done for Technical Science?

My flyers are all kinds of colours to be honest, like there's a red & white one, the latest is blue & black but I have no set colour scheme. The TS logo is normally, or used to be orange and white so I think I should change the grey bits to different shades of orange and white - good idea, when I get a minute I will :) Like I said at the top I've never been that keen on the colour scheme - well when I first finished it I was, then I looked again and thought "Hmmmm".

The only thing that annoys me( as a user with no knowledge, so the ideal visitor ;) ) is that the nav bars at the top have a arrow next to them which suggests to me that there will be a drop down menu, but their isn't. More of a pet peeve really.

Another good point, I don't dig the buttons at all, font or anything, so when I get a chance these will be changed to suit the new colour scheme.

why havn't you centred it? I can't explain why you should other than IMO, it would look better.

I honestly don't know lol... I will :)

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Setup your domain properly so every page isnt http://www.technicalscience.co.uk/. Then people can actually link to a specific page.

I set it like that so people can't link to specific pages :)

Plus, the domain would be peteduffield.co.uk/ts/index.html which looks gash.

Gonna finish it off tonight anyway, colour changing and stuff

I left 5 browsers uploading Renegade Radio mixes, went to work, came back to find my PC with a blue screen on. Gay.