Prototype Hope Mod Screw On Rear Hub

Ashley Smith

if they did bring a free hub one out would that not bring in the BMXers out there?

Mod market has almost totally gone disc.....at least in the high end, and that is where HOPE products do well.

Scew on hub might do OK, though I have my doubts. Don't think there would be any more people screaming for one than there are people screaming for a thread on King hub.

Filing down the caliper? Why, where's it fouling?

I did a post here but deleted the images cos I'm a tard, but here's the info

http://www.trials-forum.co.uk/forum/index....=115286&hl=

Basically I've got dropout, snailcam, 1.5mm washer, then hub, bolt it all together and it's fine, that's on a Dob frame with a CK hub. So basically it's just setup normally just with an extra washer.

If you have any probs feel free to PM me or add me to msn, iamjonmack@googlemail.com, you really shouldn't be filing down your caliper!

Edited by Mark King

Profile do make a disc hub but like king hubs the dis mounts aren't right and need modding for them to work.

Think your getting yourself a little confused with with the spaceing, 116mm hub is no good as frames are spaced 116 leaveing no room for snail cams meaning they would have to be ran on the outside which could be a problem with frames suchs as deng ones due to the small dropouts. The hub needs to be a 110 so cams can be ran on the inside. Only frames i can see not configureing with this are monty due to it being a 106 spaceing because there c**ts making you have to run there hubs; and onza with there new frames that have inbuilt chain tugs but it hasnt be specified whether the spaceing on these frames will be 110 or 116.

The disc mount shouldnt be ditched as double disc is a big market in mods now, if hope did want to also target bmxers then it would be simple enough to do a non disc version which would keep everyone happy.

In the actual frame it doesn't make too much difference unless it's an actual Monty hub. The frames are built to such a standard that they never fit correctly anyway. Like a Profile fits in a Monty frame fine with no snail cams. Plus alot of people run cams with their Profile on 116mm frames (without frame stretching). But i know it couldn't be marketed like that. I'm just showing my concern for a freehub as the market is a whole lot bigger it seems. But then again you could always fill the gap with a 10mm to 14mm adapter in a bmx frame if the hub was shorter.

I recon we should have a poll.

hey ash, at long last the pestering has paid off. iv just had a conversation with owen with regards to a pro2 type pawl and ratchet design. :) so im sure me and ash will be working closely with Owen (one of the main designers, who has listened and helped design and make this current hub)

i think alot of people are missing the idea of through axle, i am doing it to 1 of my hope pro2 trials, the way i see the benefit is this:

1) its stiffer

2) wheel is always in straight

3) its lighter and simpler

even in a 20" wheel bike, the wheel as long as the dish on the wheel build is correct would be bang on, it would be good to see how the design holds up but i think its a really good idea and something that me and ash have had a large input in.

the screw on hub would also apply to the 26" mod stock frame people who wish to run front freewheel. so there is plenty of opportunities for the hubs to be used.

Wayne :D

off to pick 2 of the new 20" hubs up tomorrow to build into wheels, will probably have one going spare for someone to test??? ;)(Y):)

i think alot of people are missing the idea of through axle, i am doing it to 1 of my hope pro2 trials, the way i see the benefit is this:

1) its stiffer

2) wheel is always in straight

3) its lighter and simpler

even in a 20" wheel bike, the wheel as long as the dish on the wheel build is correct would be bang on, it would be good to see how the design holds up but i think its a really good idea and something that me and ash have had a large input in.

Exactley, I'm running a hadley rear hub with their 10mm bolt through conversion kit and its the best Hub I have ever used. Its basically the same as two bolts becuase you dont have to take the axle out everytime you take the wheel off you just loosen it, I can't understand why everyone is hating on it. Heres a pic of the hadley kit

Hadley10mmConvB.JPG

Cheers

Fair enough, but it is widely known for king hubs haveing to have the disk mounts faced shaven down to get the disk brake to line up and work because the bmx disc king hub uses a 26inch hub shell.

Yeah I've got a standard ISO shell on mine and on both of my disc frames it was fine with the little washer. Dunno what other people are upto but mine works fine on my Dob just with Monty cams and the washer.

Infact I had a couple of thin spacers between the caliper but I've taken those out and it's running even better.

I would have also thought that the Avids and newer Hope discs have more side to side adjustment than the older style calipers that required the spacers.

May not be enough to allow for the 110/116 frames as I haven't tried it - just a thought.

That looks well tidy! Be nice if it will come in all the usual hope colours aswell as 32h and 36h drilling too :)

Next step: Make a cassette hub just like the pro2 that will fit a frame with modspacing, I guarentee you would sell thousands of them!

I love the idea of a cassette hub like a stock.

I think the general consensus is that HOPE should make a cassette hub with mod spacing, in a few variations :

Disc

Non Disc

No snail cam usage, i.e can use tugs or other form of tensioning

Snail cam version

I think you'd be mad not to try this!

edit : obviously combining disc+no cams etc :)

Edited by deanie-b

Disc

Non Disc

No snail cam usage, i.e can use tugs or other form of tensioning

Snail cam version

I think you'd be mad not to try this!

But when you combine those options with the 32/36 hole options, and all the hope colour options.... they'd be making like 40 different hubs :blink:

Maybe there not mad for trying this?

But when you combine those options with the 32/36 hole options, and all the hope colour options.... they'd be making like 40 different hubs :blink:

Maybe there not mad for trying this?

more like 6 or 8 :)

more like 6 or 8 :)

How'd you work that out?

You'd have a...

non disc, snail cam version in 32h in Red

non disc, snail cam version in 32h in Blue

non disc, snail cam version in 32h in Gold

non disc, snail cam version in 32h in Black

non disc, snail cam version in 32h in Silver

non disc, snail cam version in 32h in Gunsmoke

non disc, snail cam version in 36h in Red

non disc, snail cam version in 36h in Blue

non disc, snail cam version in 36h in Gold

non disc, snail cam version in 36h in Black

non disc, snail cam version in 36h in Silver

non disc, snail cam version in 36h in Gunsmoke

disc, snail cam version in 32h in Red

disc, snail cam version in 32h in Blue

disc, snail cam version in 32h in Gold

disc, snail cam version in 32h in Black

disc, snail cam version in 32h in Silver

disc, snail cam version in 32h in Gunsmoke

disc, snail cam version in 36h in Red

disc, snail cam version in 36h in Blue

disc, snail cam version in 36h in Gold

disc, snail cam version in 36h in Black

disc, snail cam version in 36h in Silver

disc, snail cam version in 36h in Gunsmoke

non disc, chain tug version in 32h in Red

non disc, chain tug version in 32h in Blue

non disc, chain tug version in 32h in Gold

non disc, chain tug version in 32h in Black

non disc, chain tug version in 32h in Silver

non disc, chain tug version in 32h in Gunsmoke

non disc, chain tug version in 36h in Red

non disc, chain tug version in 36h in Blue

non disc, chain tug version in 36h in Gold

non disc, chain tug version in 36h in Black

non disc, chain tug version in 36h in Silver

non disc, chain tug version in 36h in Gunsmoke

disc, chain tug version in 32h in Red

disc, chain tug version in 32h in Blue

disc, chain tug version in 32h in Gold

disc, chain tug version in 32h in Black

disc, chain tug version in 32h in Silver

disc, chain tug version in 32h in Gunsmoke

disc, chain tug version in 36h in Red

disc, chain tug version in 36h in Blue

disc, chain tug version in 36h in Gold

disc, chain tug version in 36h in Black

disc, chain tug version in 36h in Silver

disc, chain tug version in 36h in Gunsmoke

See :P

EDIT: And you could make more hubs with the choice of this new 'through axel' or bolt on/quick realise :P

LOL!

Edited by cai

UPDATE

been in conversation with owen at hope and waynio again this week,

hope mod cassette disc hub. B)

Awesome news.

I'd say don't make one with built in snail cams, because people have their own already, just make it exactly the same as the Pro 2 but with 116 spacing, will be a huge seller I can assure you.