Danny Macaskill - Next Level Sep 2008

brainchild

Definition of Trials:

Bike trials is a form of mountain biking ........ The rider negotiates man-made and natural obstacles without their feet touching the ground.

At the most basic level, trials riding can be summed up as bicycle handling skills. It evolved from motorcycle trial riding (jumping up, over obstacles, man-made or natural) into an off-season bicycle pastime. It now has a strong — though small — following, and can be seen worldwide. Skills taken from trials riding can be used practically on any bicycle for balance, for example controlled braking and track standing, or balancing on the bike without putting a foot down. Trial bike characteristics include, but are not limited to: powerful brakes, wide handlebars, light parts, low gearing, a thick rear tire that provides grip, a heavy emphasis on frame geometry, and no seat (depending on the make)

Danny Macaskill rides Street Trials. I'm proud to say danny is a trials rider (even though i ride bmx as well).

It must be said this is far more impressive than TGS....IMO.

only if you dont bmx or suck at it, i could go to the nearest city and see just your normal bmxers (not pros) pull same stuff or bigger... then i could also do the same and see trials riders do the same trials parts but bigger...lol

its kinda of like being ok at both sides but on one bike lol

get a trials bike and a bmx and be pro at both ? that'd be cool lol

Edited by adrian@eastcoasttrials

only if you dont bmx or suck at it, i could go to the nearest city and see just your normal bmxers (not pros) pull same stuff or bigger... then i could also do the same and see trials riders do the same trials parts but bigger...lol

its kinda of like being ok at both sides but on one bike lol

get a trials bike and a bmx and be pro at both ? that'd be cool lol

you're talking out of your arse ...

Im pretty sure "normal bmxers" cannot do half the stuff danny does - and you just wont see a bmxer do a footjam whip to drop or indeed a kicked whip - just isnt what they do. In fact pretty much the only thing a normal bmxer would be doing are the 360 hops (although i dont know many riders who can do stair sets) and bunnyhops - and I would guess that danny wins on the plain hops again... In fact I think that most of the moves people think are "bmx" are very uniquely trials/street trials. ffs have you ever seen a bmxer do a 180 hop to 180 blunt down a stair set ?

And another thing - show me your average rider (or infact just give me a list) that can do a full blooded bunnyhop front to back on a rail...

This is street/street trials - and it IS on a different level to pretty much everyone else (especially on here). I think only leech could be a rival - and it would be a crap comparison as their styles and lines are totally different.

To be fair though, Rowan, anyone who's incapable of using a single capital (*cough*) letter and finishes every sentence with 'lol' isn't going to be the best judge of anything. I agree completely though- the majority of local BMXers everywhere I've been are as much into the scene and looking the part as they are sitting round looking the part. Oops, I mean riding.

I'm going to start using my 'ignore user' button a hell of a lot more I think...

Im pretty sure "normal bmxers" cannot do half the stuff danny does - and you just wont see a bmxer do a footjam whip to drop or indeed a kicked whip - just isnt what they do. In fact pretty much the only thing a normal bmxer would be doing are the 360 hops (although i dont know many riders who can do stair sets) and bunnyhops - and I would guess that danny wins on the plain hops again... In fact I think that most of the moves people think are "bmx" are very uniquely trials/street trials. ffs have you ever seen a bmxer do a 180 hop to 180 blunt down a stair set ?

And another thing - show me your average rider (or infact just give me a list) that can do a full blooded bunnyhop front to back on a rail...

This is street/street trials - and it IS on a different level to pretty much everyone else (especially on here). I think only leech could be a rival - and it would be a crap comparison as their styles and lines are totally different.

Speaks much sense.

Street trials is totaly different to bmx.

(Not to say that bmx bike riders shouldnt get some ideas from seeing the vid)

Anyone who posts saying " your average bmx'er can do that" must feel threatened?

Insecurity maybe?

Just ride a bike.

x

I was clearly talking about a letter which related to the Latin Capitolium, temple of Jupiter at Rome on the Capitoline hill. Sheesh.

I looked at that twice when typing actually but went with it because the spell checker was happy...

Smoooooooooooooooooooooth. I dont think anyone noticed :-

To the whole "get a bmx" crowd: do you guys seriously think that your in a position to advise him on what to ride? If he rides an Inspired or whatever that is, it's because it suits him best. Such comments really work on my nerves, no appreciation whatsoever, just trying to be a smartass and ending up looking like a total knob.

Definition of Trials:

Bike trials is a form of mountain biking ........ The rider negotiates man-made and natural obstacles without their feet touching the ground.

At the most basic level, trials riding can be summed up as bicycle handling skills. It evolved from motorcycle trial riding (jumping up, over obstacles, man-made or natural) into an off-season bicycle pastime. It now has a strong — though small — following, and can be seen worldwide. Skills taken from trials riding can be used practically on any bicycle for balance, for example controlled braking and track standing, or balancing on the bike without putting a foot down. Trial bike characteristics include, but are not limited to: powerful brakes, wide handlebars, light parts, low gearing, a thick rear tire that provides grip, a heavy emphasis on frame geometry, and no seat (depending on the make)

Danny Macaskill rides Street Trials. I'm proud to say danny is a trials rider (even though i ride bmx as well).

It must be said this is far more impressive than TGS....IMO.

I agree.

In my opinion, there's 3 styles of trials. Comp, TGS and street (as in lines that are linked with manuels and the like)

If your into the whole TGS style of riding then your probably not going to enjoy Danny's video, which is fair, as its not to your taste. Same as Danny, he ride's street because he enjoys it, I imagine he has very little interest in TGS or comp style, as that probably doesn't give him any inspiration.

Eveyone's different, but were all riding the same sport so there's know need for harsh or negative comments.

In my opinion, there's 3 styles of trials. Comp, TGS and street.

But why limit yourself to one style at all? Not talking about Danny or anyone else in particular but I ride comps on my Monty and can happily keep up with the TGS crowd for the most part and also enjoy riding more streety stuff on my Inspired... Makes you a far better overall, more 'rounded' rider in my mind.