Where Might I Get A...

Dan81

...Shimano LX Silent Clutch rear hub?

For those who don't know its a sort of roller bearing hub that feels slightly wierd compared to a pawl hub, but they just dont skip...so I want one for my other bike.

I know they were used as standard items on US Police Cannondales (stealthy as they make no clicking noise) but knowing this isn't helping me find them.....any advice welcome.

yeah thats interesting but just I know I can trust the old shimano ones - the one Ive got was in a box lost in the back of a bike shop for f*ck knows how long then been attached to my bike for the last 10 or 11 years (and it hasn't skipped yet!)

for their reliability its worth putting up with the slightly spongy feeling...

Do any other newer shimano hubs use a similar mechanism?

No silent clutch picks up instantly - I'm pretty sure the LX one allows more twist in the freehub before it engages than the likes of Chris Kings. The sponginess of the engagement is the real killer for trials use though.

Here's how a lot of them work: http://www.gmnbt.com/freewheel_technology.htm

A Roller clutch arrangement is shown for comparison with the sprag clutch here: http://www.gmn.de/front_content.php?idcat=38&idart=94

Edited by psycholist

The silent clutch hubs were quite interesting to ride, you could wind up the mechanism, then use it to get some extra surge in your pedal stroke.

Downsides - crap bearings, mechanism prone to exploding, very heavy.

A King ring drive hub is a sharper ride, and a lot lighter, but the Shimano silent clutch hubs could have been great.

The RB one seems to be the worst of both worlds, namely a friction dependent roller for engaging drive combined with a notchy surface for it to engage in, giving a finite number of engagement points like a freewheel combined with a spongy engagement like a roller clutch...

These were quite popular over here and worked really well up to the point where the drive shell exploded. There was a good bodge to keep these going longer, you just had a tight and thick ring made which you hammered onto the drive shell to keep it in one piece. I hate the feel of these hubs, they've got very soft engagement but in terms of value for money, they're really good for trials.

This silent hub thing sounds pretty cool. I'd have one on my other bike, but firstly, if I had a proII, to let people know I'm there I can just pedal backwards, and secondly:

=

No.

I have heard about people saying they blow up but I can only go from my experience....

I bought mine because I broke so many other hubs....the one Ive been using must be older than some people on this forum and it hasn't skipped, gone loose, blown up or done anything other than keep working. Plenty of my other hubs (including my poor hope) have given up long before.

Edited by Dan81