Pc Tech Support

Dr. Nick Riviera

But that wouldn't tell me the speed in which I'm connected to, but the lowest speed both computers are connected at.

Found it! 48mps. :)

Edited by JT!

Well what I was concerned about, now that we've had a internet speed increase up to 10 megabit, that my wireless connection would be actually slower than my network speed.

Looking into seeing if i'd be able to stream 1080 stuff on the ps3 wirlessly too.

Just got my new PC last week. And im having some problems with it.

After around 40 mins of playing GTA IV, the computer restarts itself. And i think its a problem with the graphics card, as ive read people have been having problems with it. Its getting fairly hot as well, im not sure how hot, but ill check it later.

Is there anything simple to do that could sort this?

The spec is:

- OCZ Stealth Xstream II 600W PSU - 3x SATA 2x PCI-E

- LG GH22NS70 22x DVD±RW with DL & RAM SATA Optical Drive - OEM Black

- Corsair 8GB (4x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz/PC3-12800 XMS3 i5 Memory Kit CL9(9-9-9-24) 1.65V

- Microsoft Windows 7 Professional - Licence and media - 1 PC - OEM - DVD - 64-bit – English

- Coolermaster Elite 430 All Black Interior Mid Tower Case with Side Window

- Gigabyte GTX 460 OC 1GB GDDR5 OC Edition Dual DVI HDMI PCI-E Graphics Card

- Asus P7P55D-E LX P55 Socket 1156 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard

- WD 1TB 3.5" SATA-III 6Gb/s Caviar Black Hard Drive - 7200rpm 64MB Cache

- Intel Core i7 2600k 3.4GHz Socket 1155 8MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor

After reading somewhere i think it may be my powersupply not being powerfull enough.

Edited by Tom Canham

If you bought it complete, send it back, let them deal with it. Issues from new like that normally point to overclock/overheating problems in my experience, something you should ideally try to avoid dealing with.

First, listen to Muel, then:

My amateur diagnosis is either something's over heating or the PSU isn't capable for whatever reason - whether it's faulty or just not giving out enough juice.

I'd have thought if the GPU is overheating, you'd start getting artefacting, although I'm not too sure.

I'd say the PSU is the most likely culprit.

Try a spare PSU is possible, then another GPU is possible and see if swapping either of those fixes your problem.

Edited by ManxTrialSpaz

First thing I'd do personally (as I have spare hard drives) is wack another hard drive in place of the new one, do a fresh install of Windows and build it from scratch with all the latest drivers, and torture test it.

Then I'd look at PSU/GPU issues. 90% of all the problems I've ever solved were either Windows being shit or drivers.

Well what I was concerned about, now that we've had a internet speed increase up to 10 megabit, that my wireless connection would be actually slower than my network speed.

Looking into seeing if i'd be able to stream 1080 stuff on the ps3 wirlessly too.

In a word, no. Should be fine, although if you want it to work well just wack a cable in. Wireless sucks. (Well not really, I just don't like it very much. :P)

I heard that GTA IV was a terribly buggy PC conversion anyway, so could be just that?

I'm not 100% sure though so feel free to shoot me down...

It runs horrible on PC unless you have a decent and recent gfx card. If I remember correct SLI isn't supported (my GTX260s certainly doesn't run the game well at all), but his single 460 should run it okay. But yeah, do what muel says.

I heard that GTA IV was a terribly buggy PC conversion anyway, so could be just that?

I'm not 100% sure though so feel free to shoot me down...

Its running GTA fine, and its crashed on other games like Team Fortress 2 but not as often.

When it restarted last night the GPU was at 61°C and the CPU was at 57°C, Thinking its a overheating issue.

It runs horrible on PC unless you have a decent and recent gfx card. If I remember correct SLI isn't supported (my GTX260s certainly doesn't run the game well at all), but his single 460 should run it okay. But yeah, do what muel says.

Runs like shit for me. Crossfire 5830s, 965BE and 8gb of RAM, struggles to get 45fps, not even on full settings.

Its running GTA fine, and its crashed on other games like Team Fortress 2 but not as often.

When it restarted last night the GPU was at 61°C and the CPU was at 57°C, Thinking its a overheating issue.

Doubt it very much to be honest, those temps are fine for all modern kit I can think of. I'm gonna say drivers most likely, then power, then overclocking/instability, then overheating.

OK people, easy windows based question for you because I can't remember the answer to a question I should do...

Need to do a clean install on the main office PC here because my (now very much ex-)employee f**ked about with it and no amount of mucking about is getting rid of all traces of the virii she managed to infect it with...

It currently has XP SP3 installed on it, but the original license is for XP SP2. I don't have a CD for either, so I need to download it, but the question is do I download SP2 or 3 to be able to use the serial number I've legally got for this computer?

Don't want to upgrade to 7 or anything, just simply want the answer to that question :) Thanks.

You need the original install version. Are you certain it's for SP2? Not SP1? I think that's the only one I don't have the disc for. Needs to be specific to Home or Pro as well.

If you get stuck give me a shout man, got XP licences coming out of my ears.

You need the original install version. Are you certain it's for SP2? Not SP1? I think that's the only one I don't have the disc for. Needs to be specific to Home or Pro as well.

If you get stuck give me a shout man, got XP licences coming out of my ears.

I shall download what's written on the license sticker then and see what happens, if I get stuck I know where to come then! Cheers.

Brief advice appreciated if anyone has a mo and doesn't mind;

After a cheap graphics card, £50 budget. I don't ever really game, so it doesn't need to be anything incredible by any means, though obviously a few outputs would be nice where possible for connecting an additional monitor/s. Best to buy new, or get something with a higher spec 12 months old second hand?

Guessing it's a standard kinda deal with getting something with a decent clock speed and reasonable RAM (ideally 1Gb+ which seems reasonable for the money?)

I'd say second hand ATI card,something with 3 outputs. (Bare in mind that all PCIE cards only support a total of two outputs from HDMI, VGA and DVI.

Modern ATI cards often have display port as well, allowing you to drive three monitors from one card. I'd say get a second hand 5770 (1024mb version) on Ebay for peanuts, would be fine for what you need. Make sure your power supply can support it first though, if not then you can get adapters and ting.

Chrome's simplicity is starting to get on my tits.

Yesterday I accidentally deleted the trials-forum thumbnail from the home page. So I went and deleted all my history to reset all the thumbnails. All the thumbnails come back, youtube, gmail etc over time but TF won't show. I suppose somewhere it's been saved that I don't want TF to show up as a thumbnail, I need to know where it's saved to I can delete it and start a fresh.

Any ideas?

Chrome's simplicity is starting to get on my tits.

Yesterday I accidentally deleted the trials-forum thumbnail from the home page. So I went and deleted all my history to reset all the thumbnails. All the thumbnails come back, youtube, gmail etc over time but TF won't show. I suppose somewhere it's been saved that I don't want TF to show up as a thumbnail, I need to know where it's saved to I can delete it and start a fresh.

Any ideas?

I can't find anything, so all I can input right this second is that maybe it's about the amount of times you actually enter the site? It's all well and good that you might look at 100 pages once you're here, but Chrome will only take into account the amount of times you enter and exit a page. To check that, I'd probably repeat the sequence of opening a tab, typing TF address and entering the site followed by closing the tab. Repeat that as many times as you can be bothered to see whether it has any effect - it's not pretty but it's all I can see could be an issue at the moment.

I tried that, but I found out how to do it, if you deleted a thumbnail, it asks you to undo or restore all. Clicked restore all and everything came flooding back. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Not concerning my computer so it's a bit difficult to explain and give info...

Problem: Every now and then my friends w-lan suddenly disconnects without a clear reason. Which can be terribly annoying for both when you'd like to play online with him.

- Up in his room his connection is on 2or 3 bars (out of 5).

- With no one else using his internet he gets disconnected after about 30 mins

- With his sister and his mom, both on sepperate computers he gets disconnected every 20 minutes.

- No one else gets disconnected.

- When he used to have a wlan stick he got disconnected every 10 mins because it would get too hot. He's now got somesort of Zyxel card.

- I have no ideas what kind of router they have and I've got no idea about it's settings.

- I've just got no idea where to start and he doesen't know much about computers.. (+ he doesen't want to spend any money, but he could wish something for xmas)

It would be very nice if someone knows the problem and can help us get rid of those disconnects!

Edit: Can't be that their bandwidth is fully used, can it? How can we check that?

Thx :)