Rockman Bikes News

Bigman

Personally I'm more of a fan of the Trialtechs. Stronger steerer setup, and I kinda prefer the dropout shape of the Trialtechs to the Rockmans.

okay sweet thanks! I already run trialtechs, was gonna spend some dollar on the bike, Il keep what i got lol

• 5 months later...

The 144.12 freewheels are out now, here's some details. Our batch got delayed because the original batch were machined incorrectly so we had to wait, hence them only being out now.

large_rockman144.jpg

large_rockman1444.jpg

large_rockman1442.jpg

As you can see, 4 offset groups of 3 pawls, with a 36-tooth ratchet system. Each pawl has an individual coil spring too which means they've got a really nice, precise engagement. They feel surprising 'clean' on each engagement considering how some 108 click freewheels feel.

large_rockman1443.jpg

large_rockman1445.jpg

Dual sealed bearing design also means that it doesn't require a lockring which is handy...

Is it humanly possible to take one of those apart and replace all the pawls without the use of 6 people? :giggle:

They look good to be fair, I'm not a huge fan of Rockman products alot of the time, but the freewheels LOOK promising (Y)

Yes, I managed it earlier, but only because I have 14 arms :P

Yeah they feel decent, I'm gonna lob one on my bike and see how it goes.

Oh I see, just wondered though! ÂŁ90 and it looked all scratched! :)

Costs a lot more to put a pair of sealed bearings in there, machining out some precise bodys and ratchets, and making all those pawls and springs than it does to scratch them unfortunately :P

Costs a lot more to put a pair of sealed bearings in there, machining out some precise bodys and ratchets, and making all those pawls and springs than it does to scratch them unfortunately :P

I meant the ÂŁ90 and it was scratched. I can see why it does cost ÂŁ90, the improvement of not having a lockring is great though (Y)

Are they really noisey though due to engagements?

They're genuinely not as scratched as they appear to be. Because of the fact they've got relatively harsh light on them, it makes things look worse than they are. Same way that studio photographers doing portraits and so on use soft-boxes to make the lighting more gentle so it doesn't highlight imperfections. Just in the office and elsewhere they look like any other freewheel - not perfect, but not noticeably scuffed or scratched. It's just the shiny surface and harder lighting making them look bad.

Because they've got the sealed bearings around them they aren't as loud as an SL or some sort of similar open bearing freewheel.

I meant the ÂŁ90 and it was scratched. I can see why it does cost ÂŁ90, the improvement of not having a lockring is great though (Y)

Are they really noisey though due to engagements?

Who cares really, just as long as they perform better than the Echo SL/TR and are more robust in design. Anyone else in the uk testing this freewheel apart from Adam@Tartybikes?

Who cares really, just as long as they perform better than the Echo SL/TR and are more robust in design. Anyone else in the uk testing this freewheel apart from Adam@Tartybikes?

The SL/TR freewheels ARE robust in design, its just you twatted yours on a wall hard enough to crack it.