Be Part Of The Biggest Trials Street Ride

JackMeek

I'm flying over from Ireland, probably with Ryanscare, because at least they have a consistent policy on boxed bikes - Can anyone tell me which airport I'll have better luck getting to the start of the ride from with a boxed bike using public transport?

There are loads of flights to Stansted, but I could go to Luton or Gatwick (South Terminal) too... I'll probably fly in earlyish to Stanstead on Saturday and home either late Sunday or Monday depending on accommodation...

With the Stansted flights it would be possible to fly in in the morning and home in the evening of March 1st, but I'd need somewhere to keep my bike box for the day and miss Saturday's shenanigans...

London city airport, Not too far catch a bus or taxi.

What is the real situation with the police and ilegaly riding in london?

I've always found that the age old rule of being nice, polite, and do what they say, you'll be fine - even in london!

No-one should be scared about being 'done', they tend to just move you on like anywhere else in the country. It's when you get riders being mouthy to them, and not following simple instructions that you get the problems. Unless you're at more risky spots, such as St. Paul's, The Barbican etc (only been there the once, for about 2 minutes). I'd recommend you stay well away from those places, they're getting a lot hotter on it recently and more eager to issue fines if you hand around for too long, especially when they're trying to move you off that spot.

Just make sure you stay vigilant, and everyone watch each others backs. If you see police, stop what you're doing immediately if they might be coming over to you. Just use some common sense and look out for each other, you'll all be ok.

Edited by Marvin the Martian

There is no fear issue with the police, just as long as you show respect when they tell you to move on. The majority of the police can assess that we are dedicated to what we do as opposed to the disrespectful local mtb chavs just being there to cause a scene. sometimes it just takes the actions of a few local idots to stereotype the rest of us.

London city airport, Not too far catch a bus or taxi.

I'm pretty certain Ryanair don't fly to London City, they fly to Luton, Stanstead and Gatwick.

Luton and Stanstead have train stations, with trains running direct to London, but that'll only get you as far as the north part of the city.

Gatwick has a station which will get you direct to the south of the city, (probably your best bet). You train it from gatwick to London Victoria, then walk/ride down along the river to London Eye. Or as a better choice, train from Gatwick to Clapham Junction, change there and get the train to London Waterloo, where we will be meeting more or less outside the station.

I'm flying over from Ireland, probably with Ryanscare, because at least they have a consistent policy on boxed bikes - Can anyone tell me which airport I'll have better luck getting to the start of the ride from with a boxed bike using public transport?

There are loads of flights to Stansted, but I could go to Luton or Gatwick (South Terminal) too... I'll probably fly in earlyish to Stanstead on Saturday and home either late Sunday or Monday depending on accommodation...

With the Stansted flights it would be possible to fly in in the morning and home in the evening of March 1st, but I'd need somewhere to keep my bike box for the day and miss Saturday's shenanigans...

Best bet is probably stanstead and train to liverpool street. We are coming up on the saturday and can meet you there. Is only a 20 min ride from there to Sloped walls I rekon.

I'll double check that for you.

Edited by MattB

But he's still gotta get from Liverpool Street to basically Waterloo, with a bike in a box.

Dave, majority of the trains from bournemouth are doubled up so they can take 6 bikes instead of the normal 3, but South West Trains never seem to care if the train is crowded with bikes aslong as the pathways are clear. But to be honest, to arrive for 11 you'll be getting the 8:59 which wont be crowded given it's a sunday.

Edited by Nick Manning

No flights from Shannon to London City Airport...

The current plan is to head for Stansted, get on the London train with my bike still boxed from the plane (The train doesn't allow non-folding bikes, but says nothing about big suitcases :) ), unpack the case when I get to Liverpool St. Station in London and leave it in the left luggage in the station, then cycle the 2 and a bit miles to the Shell Centre from there. I could do this as a day trip thanks to the early flight arriving at 8:15 and the late flight leaving at 21:45 - stressful though...

No flights from Shannon to London City Airport...

The current plan is to head for Stansted, get on the London train with my bike still boxed from the plane (The train doesn't allow non-folding bikes, but says nothing about big suitcases :) ), unpack the case when I get to Liverpool St. Station in London and leave it in the left luggage in the station, then cycle the 2 and a bit miles to the Shell Centre from there. I could do this as a day trip thanks to the early flight arriving at 8:15 and the late flight leaving at 21:45 - stressful though...

Sounds ideal. The ride from Liverpool street to Shell is pretty quick and easy.

I'd really like to come but need to sus out how to get up... Trains will be hectic I imagine if they can still only take 2 or 3 bikes and no way I'm drivin' into Laandaan...

so you are scared then dave :giggle:

already said you may get a lift from salisbury

I bit the hook, like you knew i would.

On a serious note, I know people that are a bit scared to go on this ride now, for fear of being arrested by London police.

The worst thats happened to me in London was being pinned to a wall by a copper, and him threating to confiscate my bike! Hahaha but don't worry thats because I was a bit of a gobshite (before people lare off, I said something cheeky, but the copper was some gym testestorne numpty) but nothings ever came of it to anyone, so I woulnd't worry. :)

Hey Jack!

On a serious note, I know people that are a bit scared to go on this ride now, for fear of being arrested by London police.

What are your thoughts on this?

I personaly dont want to be tense all day for fear of being "done" by the police.

What is the real situation with the police and ilegaly riding in london?

Im stoked that a lot of top names are going , bearing that in mind, and the above im tempted to just watch and be on foot.

I think that many other riders maybe thinking this too.

Just ,my thoughts

chris

Ps Im there whatever if Hans Rey is there! ( "level the vibes":)

With the Police.

1 you have a helmet on and look more responsible

2 never back chat and you will never get into trouble

3 If they try to lead you into an agument or provoke you or undermining what your doing. Do This STAY STILL AND GO TOTALLY SILENT AND DONT REPSOND then they have nothing they can do.

4 Be over friendly to them and dont fear them. They are people with familys and freinds just like normal and deal with much worse people than us everyday. dont treat them like an alien and run.

5 Never Lie about what you did. Just Say Nothing Go back to the silent trick.

Most metropoliton police are cool with people who are invovled in somthing that looks fun but they have a job and might ask you to move on. DONT TEST THEIR PATIENCE.

TRUST ME THE POLICE ARE NOT GOING TO BE A PROBLEM UNLESS YOU'RE RUDE TO THEM OR TEST THEM.

Thanks for the organising praise comment. I aim to please. I love Biketrial and i dont do things by half.

Edited by JackMeek

With the Police.

1 you have a helmet on and look more responsible

2 never back chat and you will never get into trouble

3 If they try to lead you into an agument or provoke you or undermining what your doing. Do This STAY STILL AND GO TOTALLY SILENT AND DONT REPSOND then they have nothing they can do.

4 Be over friendly to them and dont fear them. They are people with familys and freinds just like normal and deal with much worse people than us everyday. dont treat them like an alien and run.

5 Never Lie about what you did. Just Say Nothing Go back to the silent trick.

Most metropoliton police are cool with people who are invovled in somthing that looks fun but they have a job and might ask you to move on. DONT TEST THEIR PATIENCE.

TRUST ME THE POLICE ARE NOT GOING TO BE A PROBLEM UNLESS YOU'RE RUDE TO THEM OR TEST THEM.

Thanks for the organising praise comment. I aim to please. I love Biketrial and i dont do things by half.

Fair play mate, we can see that, a hell of alot of work must of been put into this, well done!!!:)

end of the day what are the police going to do with 300+ people. pick us of one by one??!??!? lol!!!

As Jack says with the police 'show a little respect and expect a little.'

end of the day what are the police going to do with 300+ people. pick us of one by one??!??!? lol!!!

That's the best way - They go for the weak on the outer edges of the group ...

Youtube Video -> Original Video

Oh and Dave - put your bike in a box/suitcase and stash it in a car when you arrive then they cant stop you from getting on ?

Vincent Hermance said me yesterday he will be there with the tartybikes staff and his new Black Sky !!! That will really be a crazy day !!!

Nicolas Luque and Aurelien Fontenoy would not come :unsure: Nico for familial reason (an important anniversary) and Aurel will go on a training course of the France Trials Team this week-end.

The ex-coach of Gilles Coustellier, Franck Martini, will be in the place because he wanna discover the other face of trials, the street one... He said me it is the future of trials !?! And he would work in London in 2009 to coach a trader...