The Name Of The James Mays Co Driver On Top Gear?

LukasMcNeal

Am I the only one that thought she was acting? I assume the producers fed her some stuff to say to make her look dumb(er) in an attempt to add to the comedy.

Without a doubt. I like to believe that nobody is that brainless where their only worry in life is if they have enough fake diamonds to f**king ruin that blackberry anymore...but then again.

Without a doubt. I like to believe that nobody is that brainless where their only worry in life is if they have enough fake diamonds to f**king ruin that blackberry anymore...but then again.

Youtube Video ->
">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Just caught up with this on Iplayer and it made me angry.

For 3 f**king K they bought a load of shit, the "awful cars" that went through looked to be better than what they got.

It was staged to f**k and IMO gave a very bad impression of what classic cars are like, in fact I think it was staged to fit in with the modern stereotype of a classic car.

My 55 year old 100e is more reliable than my mums Alfa 159, I know thats not a fair test but it's also more reliable than her old Mondeo was and that was a 54 plate on 211K ! I'd go so far as to say, year for year and miles for miles my old ford is one of the most reliable cars I've ever come across !

f**king pfffft to top gear.

There only good when they do the £1500 porsche/alfa type challenges....Because the cars they buy are SHEDS for £1500 and eveybody knows that £1500 will buy them a shit what ever they are buying. Where as 3K in the classic car world can buy you a mint motor !

<_<

I'd imagine the whole point of them doing it via auction was to throw up some interesting models, rather than a selection of perfect cars that would've probably made it a pretty boring piece. I wouldn't have thought that many people would've suddenly decided to throw down £3k on a classic car purely on the basis of watching that piece, and the makers of Top Gear are probably aware of that too - in much the same way that, for example, when they raced that Nissan GTR against the Bullet Train, they weren't doing it as a factual piece based on whether, should you be going coast-to-coast in Japan, you'd be better off going by train or by car...

I'd imagine the whole point of them doing it via auction was to throw up some interesting models, rather than a selection of perfect cars that would've probably made it a pretty boring piece. I wouldn't have thought that many people would've suddenly decided to throw down £3k on a classic car purely on the basis of watching that piece, and the makers of Top Gear are probably aware of that too - in much the same way that, for example, when they raced that Nissan GTR against the Bullet Train, they weren't doing it as a factual piece based on whether, should you be going coast-to-coast in Japan, you'd be better off going by train or by car...

I understand that, but as I'm sure you'll agree not everybody views top gear as a staged show.

Think of how many people thought Schumacher was actually The Stig, thats harder to believe than saying classic cars are unreliable ? They didn't say "classic cars are unreliable when there driven by 3 TV presenters who are being paid to entertain people, and don't need to care about the cars so there just driving them like idiots."

:(

I didn't mean that everyone realises it's staged or whatever, I just meant that a piece on Top Gear wouldn't really convince you one way or the other. Someone who was thinking about getting one wouldn't give much of a shit about it, and someone who wasn't planning on getting one anyway probably just viewed it as an entertaining feature. Which is the whole point. It's entertainment, not necessarily the 100% truth or straight-up facts about everything...

I didn't mean that everyone realises it's staged or whatever, I just meant that a piece on Top Gear wouldn't really convince you one way or the other. Someone who was thinking about getting one wouldn't give much of a shit about it, and someone who wasn't planning on getting one anyway probably just viewed it as an entertaining feature. Which is the whole point. It's entertainment, not necessarily the 100% truth or straight-up facts about everything...

Now you say it I guess it doesn't matter, it's hardly going to affect my life so what do I care.

/rant.

Think of how many people thought Schumacher was actually The Stig, thats harder to believe than saying classic cars are unreliable ?

What is the likelihood of getting an actually reliable classic car though? Chances are that anything more than about 10-15 years old is going to be pretty unreliable in cold/wet weather, unless you know a lot about cars and put the effort in. 95% of people just want a car to work without any hassle, and no one is stupid enough to buy a 40 year old car for that.

Anyway, at the end they all said how much fun they had. Which is probably more to the point - people buy these things for the joy of driving them, not for a guarantee of a car that will get them to work on time.

What is the likelihood of getting an actually reliable classic car though? Chances are that anything more than about 10-15 years old is going to be pretty unreliable in cold/wet weather, unless you know a lot about cars and put the effort in. 95% of people just want a car to work without any hassle, and no one is stupid enough to buy a 40 year old car for that.

Anyway, at the end they all said how much fun they had. Which is probably more to the point - people buy these things for the joy of driving them, not for a guarantee of a car that will get them to work on time.

Very true, although I'd say its more like 25-30 years old that they'd start playing up. As far as I'm concerned, if a cars got 100k on it, weather its 20 years old or 3 years old, its gunna suffer from the same faults. Generally anything from the late 80's onwards is gunna be pretty able to cope with whatever you throw at it weather and road conditions wise. Any earlier than that though and you're looking at pre-electronic ignition, dynamo charging, grease ports, non-syncro box's and other things that will be fine if you look after them and know how to use them, but not ideal if you don't.

But yeah, as said, I think they came to a pretty decent conclusion in the end, old cars are more fun, and you'll love them, but they're not ideal for every day (if they're too old anyway). Which sounds about right to me.

Edited by RobinJI

I'm not for one minute saying that your wrong, old cars are owned for fun and not really ideal for every day use. But I don't like the whole "unreliable" cliche that gets mentioned every time someone talks about old cars.

My 100e is my back up car for when other stuff goes wrong, it ALWAYS starts it ALWAYS goes and it's never broken down on me once. It's very easy to drive once you know where the gears are and it keeps up with modern traffic. My dad gave it to me on my 11th' birthday and he drove it almost daily until I was 17, it's been around the clock 2 times according to the service history we've got with it (so thats 290K), and it's on it's original everything drive train wise and when we got it we had to drag it out of a barn where it had been sat for 10 years !

Apart from tires we've only ever replaced the slave cylinder on the drivers side rear and the same on the front, oh and obviously a service once a year.

I hate the fact that people say old cars are unreliable, because I've found that newer cars are in and out of the garage more than the ones I've had ! Granted I know what I'm doing and I'm not the average joe when it comes to cars, but saying "old cars are unreliable" is a pretty broad statement.

2mow8xt.jpg

Edited by Pashley26

I hate the fact that people say old cars are unreliable, because I've found that newer cars are in and out of the garage more than the ones I've had ! Granted I know what I'm doing and I'm not the average joe when it comes to cars, but saying "old cars are unreliable" is a pretty broad statement.

Very true, they're great if you look after them, but I think the point people are saying is that unless you put the time in they are less reliable. If you treated that 100e how most people treat their modern cars it'd be screwed. The problem I have with modern cars they're becoming less and less serviceable at home, I can keep an eye on the scirocco and make sure I'm treating it well, servicing it all the time, ect. modern cars are somehow less open to this, they need expensive special tools and softwear and things like that, so although my scirocco's had more little faults than my audi ever did, I'd personally consider it more reliable, as they've been easily fixed, and it never fails to get me to work, where as the instant there was the slightest issue with the audi, it was time to hand it to the garage and get the bus to work and back for a few days.

The problem I have with modern cars they're becoming less and less serviceable at home, I can keep an eye on the scirocco and make sure I'm treating it well, servicing it all the time, ect.

Agree 100%, thats probably where my argument is actually based. If something does go wrong with an old car you can buy the bit on ebay and fix it yourself.

Annoying dippy cow?

She was f**king repulsive the dumb bitch. People who think they can live being that stupid wind me up.

Probably the same reason that any intelligent men wouldn't be interested in her, because she's boring, annoying and very very stupid.

She's not particularly pretty, I thought.

She was more annoying. She was too stupid to realise it would help if she at least put some effort in. I for one don't find retardedness attractive.

She was clearly told to be stupid, ditsy and annoying. It was so obvious. Half of Top Gear is a sham. Not like I care, I still love it.

Am I the only one that thought she was acting? I assume the producers fed her some stuff to say to make her look dumb(er) in an attempt to add to the comedy.

I'm glad someone has some sense.

I've met a couple of 'glamour models' before and they were pretty much exactly like she was on Top Gear. Hearing two of them casually talking about anal bleaching whilst sounding like they're thicker than a 5-year-old was a weird experience...

Read a couple of interviews with said glamour model, and maybe just maybe she is just that stupid. Possibly dumbed down even more, but she's not the brightest bulb in the box at all..

I've met a couple of 'glamour models' before and they were pretty much exactly like she was on Top Gear.

yep I've got a few mates like it, there great to look at but all conversation is very painfull and they end up laughing / giggling at pretty much anything you say even if your not joking.... I don't think it was too much of a lie, because I know of least 3 people who would have acted in exactly the same way, but im from essex so i guess you expect that from most girls.

And Jarrod shut up bitching.