Preventing Pinchs

bikeperson45

Put the Maxxis DH tube in today with talcum powder. There was a few sharp edges on the rim so sanded them down. Rode it today and didn't get any pinches which has become abnormal but hopefully it will become the normal. Hoping for a lot more puncture free rides now.

Thanks for all the advice, just to see if it's made a real difference now.

:P

Yes, what differnce would that make?

I'm using about 30psi at the moment, should I go higher?

Thanks for the replys

I've always run 36psi in my tubes and they still bottom out on the edges of walls or railings but have never pinched (yet!)

Basically I'm getting tonnes of pinch punctures. I didn't really want to have to make a thread about it but desperate times call for desperate measures. There's a wall that I've been able to get up for about 4 months, yet everytime within the last week I've got a pinch trying it. I'm using a new Maxxis Minion with a Halfords innertube. I wrapped the tube up with a cut old inner tube but that also doesn't seem to have worked. Any I don't get to ride with people a lot, so is it normal for a pinch to be two holes about a centimeter apart?

Help please

Thanks

Try getting an old tube cut it open and removed the valve, and put the good tube inside of that one and it should help a lot

Try getting an old tube cut it open and removed the valve, and put the good tube inside of that one and it should help a lot

That's what I'd done and I continued getting pinches :P

I'm using about 35psi now which seems to be preventing the pinches.

Hopefully the quest for pinch free rides is nearing success.

That's what I'd done and I continued getting pinches :P

I'm using about 35psi now which seems to be preventing the pinches.

Hopefully the quest for pinch free rides is nearing success.

Sorry if i've missed it but you still haven't said what tyre you're running? You really shouldn't need to run pressures any where near that high to prevent pinches.

It's beyond ridiculous now, just had my 23rd within 5 minutes. I'm on the verge of quittin now because it seems pointless putting time and money in a sport if I can't even ride the bike. That sounds pathetic. That's a £9 tube pinched just as easy as the halfords one. And it's not like I'm doing huge drop gaps off buildings. Out of curiosity how many pinches does Damon Watson get?

Im guessing the only thing you can do now is buy a dual ply tyre and hope for the best.

Also may sound silly but check where your riding for anything that could cause punctures because it could not necessarily always be down to pinching.

I wouldn't worry. You've got a single ply tyre. That's your problem. As soon as you get a double ply, you'll reduce your chances of getting them. You probably will still get them but nowhere near as much.

Also, what rim have you got? You're more likely to pinch with a narrower rim than a wide rim. So with a 2.35 single ply tyre on a narrow'ish rim like a 38mm wide rim, it's not as good as with a 47mm wide rim.

I run a single ply folding Kenda with about 20ish psi and pick a pinch every few weeks maybe... A dual play would certainly help your issues as would a nice 47mm wide rim. I don't think big heavy tubes are the answer as I use cheap Wilko or Raleigh tubes.

I've managed to fix a snake bite with one dirty patch cut in two halves and it still lasts (more than 2 months) . The tire is probably the problem ( I recommend useing a dual-ply Maxxis High-Roller stick-e (Y)) .. You may be also using a very narrow rim..

Hope it helps you :rolleyes:

Ok a dual ply tyre may certainly help and might even cure the problem but it wont solve the cause and i'm sure it's nothing to do with his set up. There really is no reason to run that sort of pressure on any tyre for trials, it reduces grip and the bounce you get from the tyre compressing and rebounding. For now a dual ply tyre will help but surely the answer is to learn to ride smoother?

If it helps I've got a selection of pretty much new dual ply tyres... 2.5 minion f Dual Ply super tacky (with every other side knobble shaved), 2.5 Try-all Stiky rear, 2.5 Dual ply Highroller ST.

Do it! When I had a dual ply high roller I could run as low as 9psi and never pinched :)

Bit squidgy though, squirmed a bit too much :D