Will 24" Bikes Be The Rule In 2020?

TrashZen

44 members have voted

1. 1. Will 24" trials bikes rule in 2020?

• Yes, they are a logical evolution
    • No, they'll fade away
    • All three wheel sizes are there to stay

Seeing that all the manufacturers are jumping in the 24" trials craze, and that some very nice natural geometries are coming out of this bonanza, could it be that in 10 years from now, stock and mod become old-school? :giggle:

Just imagine that 24" bikes start outnumbering other categories both in comp and in street and become the rule.

In 2020, any new rider would unquestionably start on this platform rather than risking to be at a disadvantage on a old-fashion and awkward 20" or 26" trials bike.

Plus, for street riders, the seat option could make them more popular than mods.

Never tried one, but I am pretty sure they must feel good.

Most pro riders gave excellent feedback so far :- .

Edited by TrashZen

TGS/Natural 24" bikes aren't made for people riding like Danny Mac though, so him not being 'in fashion' doesn't matter.

The knee-jerk reaction of the UK governing body to disallow 24" bikes might be a bit of an issue, especially if other places do too even though they're allowed by the UCI...

I think once they start to crop up second hand the market will grow slightly but i definitely don't think they will take over mod or stock,

I'm talking more of the tgs variety i know there have been plenty of inspired and marinos for sale, but once 24" becomes more affordable i think more people will begin to ride them

Depends at the rate of growth really, 26" trials has only just got fairly specific trials parts in the last half a decade, 24" still has a bit of a way to go.

Also depends if we are talking street 24" like Danny Mac, or general trials bike 24". I personally think that neither will become the number one choice of trials bike.

With general trials, most people will either want the biggest (26" obviously) or the smallest trials bike (20") both having their own advantages. Think of it, You have the nimble lightweight and agile mod, or larger higher and generally fast stock. Having a 24" doesn't necessarily combine these two bike characteristics and is effectively more a 26" than a 20".

Having a 24" doesn't necessarily combine these two bike characteristics and is effectively more a 26" than a 20".

I find that it does combine the characteristics, but just as you'd expect, you don't get the full whack of each bike's characteristics.

The second part is right though, which is why I like it, and why I think more people would like and support 24s like mine if there was more means to.

It would appear that I'm the only person on the forum who owns and rides a because 24" exclusively. Anyone else who's had one seems to have sold theirs, and anyone remaining who has one doesn't pipe up about it.

I find that it does combine the characteristics, but just as you'd expect, you don't get the full whack of each bike's characteristics.

The second part is right though, which is why I like it, and why I think more people would like and support 24s like mine if there was more means to.

It would appear that I'm the only person on the forum who owns and rides a because 24" exclusively. Anyone else who's had one seems to have sold theirs, and anyone remaining who has one doesn't pipe up about it.

*cough* *cough*

but why not just get a stock?? is there that much difference? Or have a short, low bb stock with a seat. theres loads that spring to mind. Pashley, Giant Hawes rep, Leeson(if there still made) all the Phase series are short correct? they will ride similar to 24" "natty" bikes?

A super-oldschool frame like a giant hawyes... rides similar to a modern geometry 24" frame?!?!!

Ride one and find out how wrong you are :P

The good thing about 24" bikes is that they take the strengths from mods and stocks and combines them, The bad thing about 24" bikes is that they take the weaknesses from mods and stocks and combines them. So it's very unlikely that 24" will become the dominant market, but it's obviously to see there is a demand and 24" bikes might one day take up a good third of the pie chart.

The only way I can see 24" bikes becoming more popular than either mods or stocks is a slim chance that riders may find that (for example) stocks have been too big and bulky all along and get more efficient riding from 24" bikes (same logic applies to mod, but for easy of writing I'll just compare to stocks). This would mean that mods or 24" bikes would become the norm and 26" bike would be deemed 'just too big' and would only be used by a handful of riders for whatever reason just like 29" XC are today. Or maybe it won't go to that extreme and we might just see the %s drop away from stock riders. And everything in between of course.

If this unlikely event were to happen, what we'd see happening is over the next 5 or so years is more stock riders converting from 26" bikes than mod riders, and eventually 24" riders taking over 26" riders with addition of the mod riders who switched to 24". It's going to be really interesting how it all pans out.

What could also happen that would effect the popularly of the 24" trials bike is if that riders deem 24" bikes to be a good compromise compared to riding a mod some days and a stock on others. There aren't that many people who actually do that, but, if a rider does do that it'll take 1 away from the number of stocks and 1 away the number of mods as opposed to a dedicated mod rider who switches to a 24" would only drop the number of mods by 1 but not stocks.

With regards to competition rules, especially the more competitive levels of competitions 24" bikes shouldn't be allowed yet. If 24" bike gives the rider a distinct advantage, then this will give a sponsored and/or wealthy rider an advantage which isn't fair. It's kind of the same reasoning how at some comps you aren't allowed to have someone carry your bike from section to section as people who are there alone will suffer by comparison. Seeing as though trials competitions are about biketrials ability and not whether or not you have a friend with you or not, it's only fair to put a rule in place that supports that.

It should be mods and stocks only until 24" trials bikes have a good strong community so everyone can compete with them without exclusions.

10 years is a long time though. I'm hoping for a 30" trials bike soon. :)

Yep, but considering 26" stocks took quite a while to move to real trials geometries, 24" trials bike are taking a shortcut, have learned all the lessons, and probably won't need as much time to mature. Actually, they look as pimp as the latest stock or mod designs. So they could catch up rapidly, that's why I wouldn't be surprised if they became the rule in less than 10 years.

With regards to competition rules, especially the more competitive levels of competitions 24" bikes shouldn't be allowed yet.

They're already legal. Ben Savage got 2nd at a British comp (Can't remember which) earlier in the year on his Tractor. It seems the main issue was that people couldn't agree as to whether they should ride the 20" route, the 26" route or have some new route, which the UCI don't appear to have really decided on themselves either. Personally, I think they should ride the same routes as 26"ers, and then sections can be made to balance out the advantages/disadvantages of each, in the same way that comps should theoretically have a mix of right foot forward and left foot forward sections (although that generally depends who's parents are laying out sections :rolleyes:).

Main issue I can see is tyres, really. I know there are Schwalbe 24" tyres available, but I'm not convinced by them at all either in 26" or 24" sizes. There's a reasonable range of rims out now, although obviously you're a bit restricted still...