2012 Inspired Range

Mark W

Good luck putting your standard hubs into that. There's a reason those parts are supplied with the kit ;)

Check the tarty website....go to the frame kit and see marks reply to the only question, its where i should have looked first

"Hi Rob - If you buy the complete kit, you can remove the axles from the hubs that come with the kit and fit them to your existing hubs. The front hub is a fairly easy switch as it's just a case of pulling the end caps off and replacing them with the 20mm through-axle version, although the rear requires more dis-assembly of the hub. Thanks, Mark"

Check the tarty website....go to the frame kit and see marks reply to the only question, its where i should have looked first

"Hi Rob - If you buy the complete kit, you can remove the axles from the hubs that come with the kit and fit them to your existing hubs. The front hub is a fairly easy switch as it's just a case of pulling the end caps off and replacing them with the 20mm through-axle version, although the rear requires more dis-assembly of the hub. Thanks, Mark"

I've recently done the rear conversion to 12mm bolt through on my Orange and without all the correct tool, things like properly seating the bearings without doing any damage was a bit of a faff. Also currently it's not running quite as smooth as it was but i'm sure it's because it's just been hammered in and will sort of work itself to a happy position once it's been ridden. I can appreciate why you'd want to use your shells though as then i suppose you wouldn't have to lace new wheels up but i believe full build and framekit will be your only options.

You can see why Inspired are selling it like so. If they just sold a 12mm bolt through trials frame i imagine it would confuse a lot of riders and cause untold amount of questions to Tarty and other retailers. Whilst the MTB world is up to speed in all things through axle, trials does seem to be a fair bit behind in technology so this really up to date frame will take a bit of adjustment for most. Also you can see why they wouldn't want people buying it as frame only and setting things up badly only to then piss and moan that there Inspired Skye is shit, and doesn't ride well. Like i said the rear conversion isn't overly simplistic so i can see why they wouldn't want 100's of people attempting shitty home attempts only to screw up their bearings etc.

Worst case scenario is that you can use your current axles in the new black hub shells and sell a set of Pro 2 hubs which should get you a decent amount....

That's cool. I've never visited one and always wondered. I feared they might be the Scottish equivalent of Evans Cycles, as here in London that's all that's available and they're widely horrific and naturally only accommodate commuters.

Good to hear that's not the case - they're videos always suggested they're pretty good.

Are Alpine bikes any good up there? Or are they just a generic chain that's aren;t really up to it?

If not, what are the good shops in the City?

Verging off topic. Alpine Bikes are pretty good. They always seem to have a long waiting time to get your bike booked in so they must be doing something right, the staff I've dealt with are pretty sound as well.

i think that will be the plan andrew... seems like the best option is to buy it, get all the parts swapped and sell off whats left over

would trust alpine bikes more so than a few others up here so wil probs take it along to them and ask them to try to help. hope is always helpful too in my experience so thats maybe another option

IF you were to not worry about voiding the warranty for the rear disc size, what is the largest size you could stick on with adapters? noticed hope do a nice 203mm rotor and thought th extra power may help...?

IF you were to not worry about voiding the warranty for the rear disc size, what is the largest size you could stick on with adapters? noticed hope do a nice 203mm rotor and thought th extra power may help...?

The 180's on my Fourplay Team are more than powerful enough- I honestly don't think you'd need anything more. I've even considered downsizing to give me more modulation/bite at the expense of hold!

I wondered that. It looks (and I could very well be wrong) that Danny runs a 203 on the back, so that could be an option. Not sure if it'd be overkill though.

I'll eventually get the framekit as i'd like to spec the build with a few different parts to the complete but that's the one area i'm stuck on is discs.... i like Hope's and have them on all my bikes (i haven't yet tried the new Tech Trials) but i've heard such good things about the Saints that i wonder if they're a better choice? Cost is not an issue as by the time you've got eveyrthing you need they basically come out at the same price...i'd just be interested in what works best?

There is a video guide on Hope's website showing how to replace the rear axle, which is what i followed when doing the conversion and it details everything you need to know. So if you did fancy having a go youself, it's worth watching that.

i thought it was a larger disc he ran too...i thought a bigger dic may help give that more instant bite/lock of the wheel between longer hops etc

being someone who hasnt tried a rear disc on a 24" im unsure how it would feel compared to the hs33 im used to. if anyone knows of any topics that have been made where people (probs using the fourplay team?) have expressed their opinions on the feel of the rear, please let me know :)

if anyone knows of any topics that have been made where people (probs using the fourplay team?) have expressed their opinions on the feel of the rear, please let me know :)

Dic size aside, I went from a mark 1 Fourplay running a Maggy (Phat pads on both smooth and ground rims) to the Team full build with 180 Hope Trial Tech's front and rear and I much, much prefer the discs. They have everything- power, hold, modulation in all conditions and also add to the perceived smoothness of your riding because of the lack of noise. Pretty certain I wouldn't go back to a rear Maggy unless I absolutely had to.

I'm trying to compensate for my small 'dic'... (sic)

Dic size aside, I went from a mark 1 Fourplay running a Maggy (Phat pads on both smooth and ground rims) to the Team full build with 180 Hope Trial Tech's front and rear and I much, much prefer the discs.

I'm really really looking forward to not having to set up Maguras, adjust them seemingly EVERY time I have the rear wheel off and I won't have to keep my wheel perfectly true all the time.