2012 Inspired Range

Mark W

Dammmmmm!!!!

for anyone considering stripping the skye frame, make sure you have plenty of nitromorse and plenty of patience...i was told that the coating was thick but didnt expect it to be that bad/good!

very impressed with the quality of it (nitromorse left on 15mins and barely a hint of a blister to give you an idea)

to whoever wants to keep the frame as it is...i imagine it'll withstand a fair amount of abuse before it even thinks about starting to look tatty

Blame it on the nitromorse. Its got'n shit these days. Even the extra stong stuff is pants. Plus, 15minutes; pretty sure you have to leave it for 40 before it takes effect?

Blame it on the nitromorse. Its got'n shit these days. Even the extra stong stuff is pants. Plus, 15minutes; pretty sure you have to leave it for 40 before it takes effect?

It also helps to key the surface too to get it down into the paint. Saying that, the finish is a really thick, baked on powdercoat finish so will take some work to remove for sure!

I stripped an 'old' Inspired Fourplay and the paint was super thick on that too. They just do a decent job of powdercoating them so they do take a LOT of effort to get the paint off. 15minutes is usually about right - by the time it gets to 40mins it'll have usually dried up again and sort of messes it up.

i did wonder that...i stripped some things this time last year and it seemed alot stronger, ingredients and times to leave on were slightly different despite the 'double strength' it claims

im a bit relieved that was the norm on other fourplay frames, cheers mark. anyway, back to work :)

*edit - just did a little reading up and yeh, they have changed the formula to something that doesnt work a fraction as well, seems to be a reoccuring problem with most people in my boat!

anyone with any better alternatives, please let me know

Edited by chris4stars

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

couple of questions - read on OTN there are only 20 full bikes being sold?! surely they made more...?!

also - has anyone else here got one and able to post a little review of how it felt for them?! really interested how the run of the mill rider finds it compared to the fourplay/past frames theyve ridden

gettings massively itchy feet with mine being away for so long, cant wait much longer!

Do you mean framekits or bikes? I can't remember how many we originally got of each, but I know that the framekits sold pretty quickly! It was a bit of a guess as to whether people would be more likely to go for the kit or the full build, but the kit seemed to be pretty popular. I seem to remember we sold a framekit within the first 12hrs or so - considering it's a pretty expensive product which didn't really have a sort of hyped up release date or anything, I'd say that was pretty impressive. The same thing happened with the bikes too to a certain extent.

The thing that amazes me is people like Chris and Sam who haven't even been able to ride their setups yet. That'd kill me!

The thing that amazes me is people like Chris and Sam who haven't even been able to ride their setups yet. That'd kill me!

think i have trawled this forum and watched more trials vids this last few weeks more than the last 2 years combined! keeps me half sane, edinburgh isnt very riding friendly weather wise just now so thats helped a little...genuinely cant wait till its back :)

looking foward to hear sams review...was interested to read the guy on OTN talk about it being so easy to manual ("just need to lean back", "no pedalling as usual" - compared to his previous inspired's :S) not sure if he meant usually he does have to pedal, or usually he doesnt

curious to see what mark means too about being over rather than in the bike, and how that relates to 'trialsy' type moves!

do you know if danny is sticking to the 70x25 btw? or if it was just to see for a while

Do you mean framekits or bikes? I can't remember how many we originally got of each, but I know that the framekits sold pretty quickly! It was a bit of a guess as to whether people would be more likely to go for the kit or the full build, but the kit seemed to be pretty popular. I seem to remember we sold a framekit within the first 12hrs or so - considering it's a pretty expensive product which didn't really have a sort of hyped up release date or anything, I'd say that was pretty impressive. The same thing happened with the bikes too to a certain extent.

Both really.

No release date hype but probably the best known trials frame in the world.

I just cant bring myself to fork out for one, mostly because I am shit so cant justify it to myself enough but I am very tempted.

think i have trawled this forum and watched more trials vids this last few weeks more than the last 2 years combined! keeps me half sane, edinburgh isnt very riding friendly weather wise just now so thats helped a little...genuinely cant wait till its back :)

looking foward to hear sams review...was interested to read the guy on OTN talk about it being so easy to manual ("just need to lean back", "no pedalling as usual" - compared to his previous inspired's :S) not sure if he meant usually he does have to pedal, or usually he doesnt

curious to see what mark means too about being over rather than in the bike, and how that relates to 'trialsy' type moves!

do you know if danny is sticking to the 70x25 btw? or if it was just to see for a while

I think I know who you're talking about from OTN - on his older Fourplay (+35mm BB version) I think he had a slightly longer stem with slightly lower bars than the Skye, so I guess it makes sense that with a shorter reach and shorter and higher bar setup it'd be pretty easy to manual!

I think Danny's still running the 70mm stem, but I don't really know how long-term that is.

I can't really give a proper review because I only rode it in the dark last night with a headtorch on and in the pissing rain earlier. The brakes aren't bed in yet so it's hard to judge certain aspects.

However from what I can tell so far; it pops likes a balloon, it manuals forever, it looks the absolute tits and feels way more stable on the back wheel than I imagined (more stable than my fourplay) so I feel as though it's going to be pretty good for trials moves too.

I'm not too sure on spins yet 'cause I didn't have my ankle brace on and I can't twist without it.

Setting it up was a breeze, everything part of the bike is so well engineered that it just slips together and everything feels really 'positive'.

Whilst I can't comment on the tech 2-trial braking performance yet, the levers are awesome, I love the adjustability, it's the first time I've had a disc brake that feels right. Usually I just have to get used to the way it feels, this one allows me to dial it to exactly the bite point I want.

When this rain buggers off I'll go hammer it some more and try to get those brakes bedded in.

Reviews aren't my forté :$

• Like 1

they tried to deliver it today, but apparently the flat number wasnt on the address...so the half wits from TNT didnt bother buzzing any of the 6 flats and let a note outside. will have to have it arranged for tomorrow/day after but cant do that because TNT is experiencing technical problems at thier head office. so its been within 10metres of me less than an hour ago :/

argh

I've had this happen all to often and I usually just go to the depot to collect it as it's less hassle. Surely you could do that, so you'd still get it today...?

This ^

Give it a couple of hours to return to the depot then go get that shiiiit. Totally looking forward to seeing how it's turned out (Y)

double post :o!

thought id keep it in here as the questions is relevant to the skye...

the howitzer BB that comes with it, what size is it? 68mm x ? or alternatively...what are the measurements i need to take to figure this out as its not written on it anywhere :S

someone wants it for a kona stinky and says he needs a 68mm by 113mm