24 'pure Trials' Bikes In Comps. And Trials In General.

Matt Vandart

Interesting about the comps. For the record ...

BIU allow any wheel size and all ride in the same class for the last two years, prior to that it was 20" and 26" with specific measurements stated in the rules.

UCI (up to this year) have two classes, 20" and 26". Discussions are taking place about 24" (or may already have been decided?)

British National series prefer to be inclusive to encourage all riders. In Primary, Novice, Intermediate and Cadet classes all wheel sizes compete together. In Expert and Elite, for World selection purposes, we run two classes, 20" and 24/26". A complaint was made against a 24" rider at the first round, but after discussion with British Cycling it was agreed that 24/26" had always been in the Federation's rules and this was clearly stated on the entry form for the event so the results were upheld. The situation may be reviewed depending on the UCI's decision after their discussions.

The ideal situation of course would be if there were enough 24" riders competing to make it possible to run separate classes, but that just isn't going to happen until 24" start riding comps. I've been running comps for 12 years now and, to my knowledge, there has only ever been the one rider on a 24" !!!

Thanks for that info Barbara, (Y)

That sort of info is one of the things I was looking for when starting this topic.

Well hopefully you will see at least one more 24 rider next year!

Me.

I wish this topic would take off a bit more, I find it incredible that a 'discussion' on what pads are the best can go mental in one day and a discussion on something really trials related where everyone gets to input their onions which might actually make a difference or at least have an effect on trials itself can be so tame.

It seems to me it's mostly 24 riders inputing here which really is a waste of time to an extent, what we really need to know is why people are not choosing to ride 24.

I think the tyre choice is having a really big effect on this whole matter by the way.

Where are the 26 and 20 advocates?

Because Trial 24", Kabra F-24, Rockman Tractor, Ozonys Unruly, TMS TGS (can't remember what it's called, but they missed a trick with that one :P) - they hit most of the same price points as 'normal' frames, and offer a pretty wide choice of options.

That's just 4/5 frames out of which only 1,5 (well, the Because and the Ozonys somewhat) are reasonably priced. That's not much of a choice in my opinion. Fair play a Triton isn't exactly cheap but you get a hell of a lot more for your buck. I'm really looking forward to the 2011 range of Echo bikes, there's bound to be some affordable pure 24" trials frames in there. At the moment, unless you're well off your only option is the Because.

It seems to me it's mostly 24 riders inputing here which really is a waste of time to an extent, what we really need to know is why people are not choosing to ride 24.

People who don't like 24" bikes probably aren't going to bother reading a thread about things they don't like, in much the same way that I don't bother watching TGS videos because I don't really like watching that style of riding...

I ride stock so thought I'd throw my two cents in. I'm pretty streety in terms of style, as in BMXy and I ride a 1085 Echo Control. For me, I find it reasonably easy to throw around and when I first rode it it seemed easier to spin than my previous 1065 Levelboss. Although I've been tempted to get 24" since the Inspired first came out. I think they'd be easier to pull them around, at the moment I sometimes have to add a cheeky pedal stroke to make sure I get a good rotation for 360s. Also I love seats. However then I wasn't sure if I was falling for this trend, that all the street riders were going 24" and although I've only heard good things about them I'm just not sure how much they would help me.

The reason I haven't got one is due to commitment, not being sure if I'd want to stick too it. But then really I should try and ride a few more to get a good idea. I'd say I'm probably do a lot more spins than most 24" riders but because I find it possible enough on my stock I've never seen a reason of getting one. If I did would defiantly be Inspired though.

And I defiantly think they should be allowed in comps, should probably enter with stocks since they are only 2" different.

Edited by bikeperson45

Until recently I'd only ever ridden a 24" in a comp (SW series is nice and chilled like that, I was there to have fun and they were totally up for it) and certainly think they should be included - I can't see any logical reason why they wouldn't really but meh.

I rode streety 24"s for years, but due to the most accessible riding to me consisting of barely a single kicker or tranny (lulz) I've made the switch to bigger wheels for a while. I'd still very much like to have a proper go on a more 'TGS' 24" and think it could be what I need, but can't currently commit a fair wadge to experiment and play with the idea. With a bit of luck, the chance will come along that I can play around on something of that nature and get a feel for whether it'd work for me. If so it'll just be a case of changing frame/rims/a few little bits and away we go (Y)

Edit; Oh, and the Neon up there has geometry around 1060, 367, +65, 73. Sounds pretty tasty!

Until recently I'd only ever ridden a 24" in a comp (SW series is nice and chilled like that, I was there to have fun and they were totally up for it) and certainly think they should be included - I can't see any logical reason why they wouldn't really but meh.

I rode streety 24"s for years, but due to the most accessible riding to me consisting of barely a single kicker or tranny (lulz) I've made the switch to bigger wheels for a while. I'd still very much like to have a proper go on a more 'TGS' 24" and think it could be what I need, but can't currently commit a fair wadge to experiment and play with the idea. With a bit of luck, the chance will come along that I can play around on something of that nature and get a feel for whether it'd work for me. If so it'll just be a case of changing frame/rims/a few little bits and away we go (Y)

Edit; Oh, and the Neon up there has geometry around 1060, 367, +65, 73. Sounds pretty tasty!

If it has then I'm sold!

Matt i have been in your situation and can tell you that a stock bike is superior to 20" and 24" in lots of ways. Taps, ups, gaps, sidehops are all easier on a stock. I also honestly believe you can go higher and further on a 26" than the other two aswell. I can see there being a niche in trials for 24" tgs geo frames as there are people who 'think' there too small for stocks and too big for mods or just don't like either but if you want the 'best' bike for tgs type riding 26' wheels are the pinnacle. ( Opinions based on having all of the above plus considerable amount of time and practise on my because 24 )

I really want to try 24, think it would be good fun as I love 24 size wheel. Looks like Because Trial next :)

Dont like seats :/ Im more into Pure trials and competetion rather than Street riding, in the sense of Danny Mac. Its gotta be proper trials for me, Low frame, high bb, Long frame length :) Proper Job

Thats cool.

Anyone got anymore info in this?

Geo, availability etc.

neon24.jpg

Needs Maguras ^_^ ^^ :rolleyes: love

Edited by Echo Lite 09