Bodge-Jobs You've Done.

Laurence--Trials

Haven't got any pics, but...

You know them really awkward pinch flats where one patch doesn't fit and two will overlap. Most of the time I just wrap tape around my innertube a few times. It's simple and effective when done correctlyhappy.gif

One more would be when your chain is loose but you don't have anything to tighten your chain (with horizontal dropouts). Just stick some small bolts in your frame to hold the wheel back.

Putting tape under a broken tpa also works sometimes. When you've got quite a poop bleed and the tpa need to be tightened. Put the tape under the metal thing, can't remember what it's called whistling.gif

seat clamps as headset spacers

beer can seat post/bar shims

12 different chain off cuts to make one chain

drilled/modified mech sprockets to make it fit a 6 bolt disc mount (make it fixie)

re greasing sealed bearings (pop the seals out, squirt de greaser in, put grease in pop seal back in)

gear cables for brake (gyro lowers)

jamming the pawls up in a freehub (using the bearings that fall out) to make it fixed

BB lockring on a 'normal' freewheel hub to make it fixed (suicide cog)

drilled out threaded maggie mounts and nuts put below

bit of a bodger on the quiet

Edited by thispartisrequired

Some good bodges here :lol:

Especially that last one!!

Any to save weight?

Bodges:

Glued bolts in maggie mounts

grinded my old hope disc when the pads got contaminated

coke can peices as springs in a profile driver

Used headset cups as spacers :P

Using a FSA pig crown race on my king headset till i manage to find what i did with the king one

Weight saving ones:

Drilled the f**k out of my old Tbird

Drilled and cut up stem clamps before

Drilled a set of old echo forged cranks

all i can think of at the moment, dont really tend to bodge my trialsbikes that much, but jump bikes are a different story :P

reflector as chain tensioner

drilled a hole through a frame and seatpost and stuck a bolt through to a act as a seat clamp

run only one of my 4 bolts in the frame and the rest using nuts

there are various other ones but these are my favourites.

Going single front ring on my XC bike (before using a chain device) :

Removed inner and outer chainrings, removed the shifter and cable but kept the front mech and pincing up a bit of cable to hold the tension on the mech then adjusted the limit screws for using as a guide :P worked well but chain would slip off occasionally on rough trails or when back pedalling.

And on the trials bike i have tall brass nuts like you would find for plumbing as booster spacers. My tensioner's cage is slightly bent so ive filed and modded the inside of it to prevent the chain catching on the edge of it too much ;P

where's Iolo when you need him, nothing compares with the bodges he has done!

One of the latest of his is welding together a couple of frames to make a tandem and the front headtube being a random 1/16th size so he machined down a 1/8th headset with a grinder and drill, and it worked!

There was also the time he welded a frame together with a car battery and welding rod.

I bought a new frame for my bmx and I bought a 19mm BB with it. The crank axle I had on the old frame were a weird size unique to wethepeople at 20mm. Instead of waste money on a new set of cranks I mounted the axle in a pillar drill and using a file, took 1mm off of it so it would fit the BB I bought.

Still working fine to this day :)

Also used a piece of seatpost cut in half lengthways as a shim to hold some slim bars in a stem. Got a random bit of metal as a shim for the seatpost on the unicycle atm. Cut the arms off the spider on a set of hussfelts and re-drilled the holes so I could fit a smaller sprocket on them. Old bits of tyres taped inside another tyre to cover holes. Derailleur cable tied to the chainstay to make a tensioner. The list goes on!

Jeez, just realised im a bit of a pykie! :lol:

Edited by eddbmxdude
  • Like 1

There was also the time he welded a frame together with a car battery and welding rod.

That certainly is improvisation.

Not really a bodge, but saw a fella in bristol a couple of weeks ago that had welded one bike ontop of another and was riding the one on top. Think he'd welded the forks of the top bike to a bar in the stem of the bottom bike, brought a bar up from the seat post of the bottom bike to the bb shell of the top bike and then had a mahooosive chain running from top to bottom.

If anyone can find any pictures of this, it is an awesome sight :P.

Cant think of any bodges I've done myself, however, a friend of mine who rides dirt cased his wheel on a jump which loosened a lot of spokes, this was then solved by using a tin opener as a spoke key to tighten the nipples, then tightening the spokes that little bit more by wrapping gaffer tape around them to add some extra tension, it worked pretty well too. Oh he has also used a cotton reel and some tape before as a substitute chain tensioner.

• 1 year later...

Sorry for a re bump. Just felt the urge to share a bodge done today thanks to bings creative mind and ideas.

The holes in my echo tr clamps are stretching due to the bolt head so the temp fix to get me riding for rest of the day was some spares in me bag.

1x pro2 teeth washer

1x long booster bolt

1x washer

1x booster tophat style spacer/washer.

and the results:

283486_10151517034949572_2101097862_n.jpg

seat clamps as headset spacers

beer can seat post/bar shims

12 different chain off cuts to make one chain

drilled/modified mech sprockets to make it fit a 6 bolt disc mount (make it fixie)

re greasing sealed bearings (pop the seals out, squirt de greaser in, put grease in pop seal back in)

gear cables for brake (gyro lowers)

jamming the pawls up in a freehub (using the bearings that fall out) to make it fixed

BB lockring on a 'normal' freewheel hub to make it fixed (suicide cog)

drilled out threaded maggie mounts and nuts put below

bit of a bodger on the quiet

Your the king of bodge! i especially like the one you done with the 12 different chain cut offs, great post haha.