Define 'Trials Rider'

dave33

Ali I really don't think I'm a real trials rider, I do how never think people like Ben Savage is as I said before

And as for demo ridding no I don't think you put 100 percent of effort in!

The object of trials is getting over/up/ down an obstacle or section without putting your foot down ?? Please tell me I'm wrong!

No points for style! Or one handers, or rolling down it backwards on ur front wheel

Yes mark I agree but no point cheating your self??

Oh course some one who riders like Ali is very talented no taking that away from him!

If you haven't given up already with this i'd do so quick,your making yourself look a proper tool. I've seen enough demo's to know most riders put maximum effort in.the pro's who ride at events like the bike show's at the nec were taking a day off being a trials rider to be an entertainer? Cant say i was amazed by any stand up routines but was impressed by the huge and ballsy moves they were pulling which were only possible with complete commitment and total effort. But on the flip side i spent all afternoon trying to ride some massive rocks in dover but wasn't really trying. Whilst we were all negotiating obstacles of huge variation in difficulty,by your definition i'm the trials rider and the others aren't? That shit is anal. I rode years ago and i'm getting back into it,back then you had a trials bike,you rode it over rocks,mud,pallets,walls or if you were lucky enough a man made rig.its all the same.its all trials. If a kid draws a picture and colours it in,its art, when van gogh painted pictures that was art. Its attitudes like yours that would balls up any kind of acceptance into the mainstream as its splintering a sport which is so good because you can do it in the street or the woods, everyone has somewhere and something to ride! Rant done.....

Edited by murph82
  • Like 1

I rode a comp once....my score card looks like this...

ATLEAST IM A REAL TRIALS RIDER

Did you enjoy the comp or did you hate because you found it difficult?

Any one who actually knows me will be able to tell you that I am indeed helpful when it comes to improving the sport of trials! I happily give up some of my free time to help out younger riders

Does it matter how old I am ?

So you think I'm a dick because I have an opinion! Nice...

No i think you're a dick because you can't formulate or justify an opinion.

Anyone can have an opinion. It takes intelligence to give it meaning and justification, something you have so far failed to do.

Your age was of intrigue to me as i can't imagine anyone over 12 talking in the way in which you do.

Edited by Matthew62

As a matter of interest how old is/are you dave33?

Also i presume from your strong views on competition riding that you do ride comps yourself...which you consider proper/authentic/real/damn-f**king-good/ trials? If this is so, you are certainly by no means an ambassador or promoter of the sport and i certainly don't think you're helping with it's lack of appeal.

If you're so devout to true trials, why not put some time in to supporting and encouraging it's growth as opposed to alienating the world of competition trials. I've never competed myself, but if you're any reflection of the comp scene then my god i would not even be slightly interested in giving it a go.

P.S. In case it wasn't clear - i think you are a dick.

+1 on the poor ambassador remark.

i dont get what comps people have gone to where everybody is a spoilt kid on amazing bikes bought by mummy and daddy, yes there are the odd few granted, but thats going to happen in any sport, ive played football and rugby at quite a good standard and trials comps are by far the most welcoming. all of the people i have spoken to were only to happy to help my riding out! to name a few dave, savage, tom rankin, jack carthy etc..

since when is someone not a good ambasador of the sport, just because there not a sheep? at every comp ive been to ive seen dave help out the young rolls brothers!

seems like everybody who dont like comps has never been to one!

If you haven't given up already with this i'd do so quick,your making yourself look a proper tool. I've seen enough demo's to know most riders put maximum effort in.the pro's who ride at events like the bike show's at the nec were taking a day off being a trials rider to be an entertainer? Cant say i was amazed by any stand up routines but was impressed by the huge and ballsy moves they were pulling which were only possible with complete commitment and total effort. But on the flip side i spent all afternoon trying to ride some massive rocks in dover but wasn't really trying. Whilst we were all negotiating obstacles of huge variation in difficulty,by your definition i'm the trials rider and the others aren't? That shit is anal. I rode years ago and i'm getting back into it,back then you had a trials bike,you rode it over rocks,mud,pallets,walls or if you were lucky enough a man made rig.its all the same.its all trials. If a kid draws a picture and colours it in,its art, when van gogh painted pictures that was art. Its attitudes like yours that would balls up any kind of acceptance into the mainstream as its splintering a sport which is so good because you can do it in the street or the woods, everyone has somewhere and something to ride! Rant done.....

But you have never rode a demo right ?

Thinking about it yea I do put 100% effort in to do the side hop comp part, 0ther wise there's no way I'm going to clear 120 cms!!

go to 1:55

AAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAH that is the best thing so far on this topic :')

Did you enjoy the comp or did you hate because you found it difficult?

Any one who actually knows me will be able to tell you that I am indeed helpful when it comes to improving the sport of trials! I happily give up some of my free time to help out younger riders

Does it matter how old I am ?

So you think I'm a dick because I have an opinion! Nice...

I didn't hate it, yet it wasn't that enjoyable because an 11 year old beat me...I put a large scratch in my downtube...i dropped one of my sausages when i was having lunch (walls skinless, the best)...i fell on my face a few times....and i forgot to hand in my score card at the end of it...but the free BBQ wasn't half bad so overall it was a mild day...

AAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAH that is the best thing so far on this topic :')

I didn't hate it, yet it wasn't that enjoyable because an 11 year old beat me...I put a large scratch in my downtube...i dropped one of my sausages when i was having lunch (walls skinless, the best)...i fell on my face a few times....and i forgot to hand in my score card at the end of it...but the free BBQ wasn't half bad so overall it was a mild day...

hmmm thats like everything though, there will always be someone younger thats better! its just the way things are, perhaps you picked too hard of a rotue?

comps are dulllllllllllllllllllllll, farrr too competitive for what they are, expensive, always a mission to get to, a few nice guys who ride street too, but generally full of dickholes where no one even talks to anyone incase it distracts them. BORING, street is more fun, and i enjoy riding natural, if tom ever pick up his phone, id be up riding some right now

seems like everybody who dont like comps has never been to one!

I'd just like to point out that's stupid, I don't have to try putting cheese up my nostrils to know I'm not going to enjoy it, I genuinly know that I am not going to enjoy it.

I prefer to ride the same spot for a while, trying different moves and playing around a bit, something that is harder to do at a comp because pretty much the opposite is encouraged, just getting over the thing once then moving on. I'm not saying I'm never going to ride a comp, just that from what I know and see it doesn't look like my sort of thing.

Matt, I don't mind what label myself and other go under for the type of bikes being ridden, I call myself a trials rider because the most of my riding falls under that category. the thing that grinds my gears is when I see people claim that they are the proper trials riders and people like Danny are almost cast as outsiders.

Ali I pretty much agree with most of that, but when I said real trials rider as in competes in comps I didnt say you gotta film them and by the way people who ride like you and Danny arnt trials riders!!! Did I ?? But your not comp riders ?? Nope so no that does make you a boxer does it!!

But it does mean ur not a comp rider!! Maybe I should have use better words!!

And the other thing is surly a trials rider be it some one who rides comps or demos or just up trees what ever would still be a trials rider if they were ridding a road bike?

He would just be on a road bike!

Once again ll say maybe I was wrong to use the words I did but I still personally feel that a comp is called a TRIAL and slang called a comp because it's a competition!!

What I want to know is when was the decision made about who or what makes a rider a proper trials rider or a fake one? It seems to be a pretty recent development, perhaps people never saw trials when people were winning comps on bikes with seats and gears?

Lets talk about the Trials kings.....were they trials riders? I am pretty sure most (everyone?) would say yes despite the fact they hardly rode comps and were doing spins, manuals, stoppies, x-ups etc way before people had heard of Mr Macaskill or 24" bikes.

Another thing I notice is that a lot of comp riders (especially the Euro guys) can be seen doing things like one handers when on the back wheel, crank flips and stuff when messing around, why is that acceptable and a tailwhip not?

Like I said, I don't mind what label we are, but will the people who think trials is only comp riding with no seats please stop acting like you are more legit than the rest of us.

Anyway, some of the street skills pay off in comps, take the last world champs for example, the sections had kickers in them, Gilles is an amazing rider, but he couldn't ride the kickers for shit. Kenny on the other hand rides street as well as comps, has a much more rounded riding style and crushed Gilles that day. When is a particular skill on a bike not worth having? When should a rider think "I have learned enough moves, I don't need to learn any more"? Trials is a challenge, the moment you stop wanting to learn new stuff is the moment you are failing to be a trials rider.

You watch that... hhhahahahahh, nice find though

i love all of the guys stuff :lol:

and my opinion on comp.

i live 3 hours away from yorkshire , that is where most of the comps are.

therfore it is very very exspensive ( hotel , petrol , food , bike shit , entering )

but its a hobby that my parents support me in and are willing to help me out in , i am only 14 years old so i do not have a big income ,

and as i pay for most of my bike stuff and help out at home , my parents take me to a comp if i want to .

when i was at a comp everyone was helpful and welcoming and i was shit, moved down a class , beaten my people alot younger than me but i still loved it and would love to go again/

but i dont think i'm a spoilt mummy and daddy's boy .

edit: however on one section there was a spoilt d*ck ( only the one though ) he 5'd it and his parents told him to carry on ( just to practice for lap 2 ) he started shouting and crying and telling his parents to f*ck off.

Edited by matt.price

I'd just like to point out that's stupid, I don't have to try putting cheese up my nostrils to know I'm not going to enjoy it, I genuinly know that I am not going to enjoy it.

I prefer to ride the same spot for a while, trying different moves and playing around a bit, something that is harder to do at a comp because pretty much the opposite is encouraged, just getting over the thing once then moving on. I'm not saying I'm never going to ride a comp, just that from what I know and see it doesn't look like my sort of thing.

i never used to be up for comps, but went to 1 now im hooked, everywhere i ride now i link moves together and places "markers" in my mind so thats its in a competition situation to improve my riding.

street.

What was "Way Back Home' then?

What if they ride in the woods? What if they ride in a park? What if they ride in the air? What if they ride on a beach? What if they ride in their garden? What if they ride on man-made obstacles? What if they ride on pallets? And so on....

Edited by Matthew62

Also probly the best part of comps is that you get to ride amazing places, get to watch and talk to some amazing riders and learn alot about ridding!

Remember riding for a couple of hours after comps with Ali more than once on the past even though I had a 4 hour drive...

Also Ozzy reminded me of a good point, Charlie rolls is already world champion and I think he's only 8 years old, he's a future of trials and I want to see him improve and hope fully this will mean the uk trials scene will grow bigger and bigger that why I try to help him out with any thing he asks me! Same with riders like jack carthy I'm more than happy to him him out although not much in terms of ridding as he's catching me and no doubt by the end of year will be in a different league! But mechanically iv helped him in the past many times!!

Also probly the best part of comps is that you get to ride amazing places, get to watch and talk to some amazing riders and learn alot about ridding!

Remember riding for a couple of hours after comps with Ali more than once on the past even though I had a 4 hour drive...

So that doesn't count with street rides? :blink:

Edited by Skoze