Define 'Trials Rider'

dave33

Ali can and still does a load of compy moves. We rode Shipley a few weekends ago and he's definitely not lost anything. Doing elite routes pretty comfortably, considering he's on a streetier bike rather than a comp setup. If you're a good rider with experience you can pretty much ride anything well - there are a lot of riders out there who prove that.

You say he done the elite routes easy, only problem with that is there not really elite routes, more like red!!

Sorry yeah, I forgot you were there when we were riding there a few weekends ago :P

Yea I wasn't there,but the elite routes are pretty much the same old lines... Unless you come up with some original elite routes of your own? Then again I havnt seen you at a comp in years so I can't imagine you know what level the elite route would be!

Get some G-turns in too!

By the way, for the people that thinks he is saying this because he cant do 'Danny Mac' stuff, Dave can manual and 180 and sh*t with the best of them and that's on a long and low 'real' trials bike not a 24 incher, would love to see what he can do on an inspired or sommit.

I have found that you can point out any line and he will nail it and throw in some spinny shit and manuals if he's in the mood.

To the people that got a bit shitty he also helps alot of younger riders (and myself) to learn stuff and promotes the sport very well indeed.

I know of at least 15 kids that he has enthused enough for them to take up trials and that is in Carmarthen alone.

He is very dedicated to trials, has massive skills and is one of the most determined people I know in any sport he gets into and IMO a very underrated rider.

im one of them had a good ride with dave yesterday

Oh ffs, put away your handbag and go watch the new vid. Ali's busting out massive stuff whilst throwing in a decent style. If you can watch that and still not see that Ali can ride high level trials AS WELL AS throwing in something extra then you need your head checked.

yea watched it, yea nice lines but I didnt see any thing bigger than the blue/ or red route

Why don't both of you just stop? It's really pathetic. I mean truly worthless and immature.

Either get your dicks out to get it over and done with or just shut up. Why argue for the sake of arguing when we had a suitable conclusion.

Edited by Matthew62
  • Like 1

yea watched it, yea nice lines but I didnt see any thing bigger than the blue/ or red route

When's your next video out Dave? I would definitely like to see a showcase of your riding, because if you believe in your style I'm sure you believe in being the ambassador you clearly are in person. Showcase what you do to a wider audience than just those who see you (who are already into what you do) and you never know, there might be more support in future threads like this.

Then again I havnt seen you at a comp in years so I can't imagine you know what level the elite route would be!

Went to two comps last year, but never mind eh. The comp you saw me at last was also less than a year ago I think? Details are pretty irrelevant anyway, they were definitely 'old' elite routes from the year before. Even if they're routes a year old I'd say it's still pretty impressive to be doing the same lines on a bike that weighs 2kg more, has significantly less clearance, etc.

EDIT: Forgot to say - I didn't film Ali doing the older elite routes because there wasn't really any point in that I didn't really have any intention to put them in the video.

:lol:

blue? seriously? Maybe red for national level but only just. Not at a tyke Trial.

(Talking about the two Shipley Glen lines in the vid)

Edited by CalopS

The elite route at the Lee Quarry Tyke Trial I went to last year was pretty beast in fairness. Some of the lines in it were sketchy as hell, there was one section that I think only James Hyland got through out of everyone there that was insane. I didn't even want to walk it :P

The elite route at the Lee Quarry Tyke Trial I went to last year was pretty beast in fairness. Some of the lines in it were sketchy as hell, there was one section that I think only James Hyland got through out of everyone there that was insane. I didn't even want to walk it :P

I remember stans dab on the first section as your coming up the hill from the car park standing on the rear wheel trying to reach his other foot onto the top of the rock.

Best dab Ive ever seen!

Edited by CalopS

I preffered your riding when you did traditional trials moves and competed :( , do you think you'll ever move back to comp riding and get back on a bike with no seat? or is street bashing just to fun ;)

I would need a lot of practice! I can't ride long bikes now after being on my Inspired for so long, I think I may do better on my inspired with a slightly lighter spec and grippier tyres than I would a pure comp bike.

I am not ruling out comps, but for me right now, it's not the place to be.

cheers for answering my questions Andee :)

Dave.......... meh.

(sorry to dig this up, I have been away filming in London since Thursday (check out "Sing if you can" on Sat at 7.20pm ITV1 to see some incredibly cheezy stuff))

I've only ever ridden one comp, the Porthcawl comp many moons ago. It was the most god awful experience of my "trials" riding life.

Pros of the comp

Amazing location

Good weather

Friendly observers

Cons of the comp

The fact that it was not planned around the movements of the great oceans....tide came in, some section markers vanished!

I'd say 50% of the riders attitudes stunk

Scott Wilson and friend, pushing in to ques for sections (twice infront of me)

Whole of the intermeadiate riders retried, bar one, who automatically won

That put me off compleatly, I'll just ride.

Scott Wilson and friend, pushing in to ques for sections (twice infront of me)

Haha, still saying that happend! Im sorry mate if you think that, but i didnt, and i dont push in ( Except against sneaky spanierds who do it at worlds :P)

That put me off compleatly, I'll just ride.

Dont let it put you off- Comps are a great way to meet new people and ride some awsome new places, and a fun way to spend an sunday afternoon :)

Haha, still saying that happend! Im sorry mate if you think that, but i didnt, and i dont push in ( Except against sneaky spanierds who do it at worlds :P)

You're one of the few who don't then, spent most of my time getting snaked by people. Generally rider's dads too who'd "hold a place" for their kids who were off doing something else. Always fun.

At the worlds I admit to doing it, you have to euro riders are really bad at it.

90% of the time over here i end up loosing places because i wander off and get distracted :P

^^^ Says i pushed in 7 (?) years ago - Only thing i can think of at that comp that comes close to pushing in was leaving my bike near mid way of the que, just because by time i come back after walking section, it would of been about 100 metres away from the que, which it was anyway -No gain, just commen sense (ish)

Dont let it put you off- Comps are a great way to meet new people and ride some awsome new places, and a fun way to spend an sunday afternoon :)

Regardless if it was you or not, someone still jumped in and added to the overall bad feeling I got from that comp. Anyway, like you said it was 7 years ago, maybe I should have left your name out there. Agree to disagree?

I would most probabbly ride a comp again, especially if one was held in south/west wales. Hopefully once Uni is out of the way I will have more time to ride!

Regardless if it was you or not, someone still jumped in and added to the overall bad feeling I got from that comp. Anyway, like you said it was 7 years ago, maybe I should have left your name out there. Agree to disagree?

I would most probabbly ride a comp again, especially if one was held in south/west wales. Hopefully once Uni is out of the way I will have more time to ride!

Sounds like a deal man :)

Should of just kicked them back out again!

You got lots of cool spots in wales, be cool if you could sort some comps, I wanna ride porthcawl again soon, tis mint!

Maybe make your own, winners gets free drinks all night and losers have to wash the bikes