Want To Get Into Trials Biking / Ordering From Tartybikes ?

TheCaptain

So I'm a XC rider now and want something new to try out, so I thought Trials seems pretty fun.

My question for you guys is what size should i choose ? from what I've read 20" is more of a pure trials bike, whilst 24" and 26" is more of a bmx influenced / street kind of Trial, Danny MacAskill style.

So I'd rather ride more of the street kind of approach I guess, It's rather hard to choose since I've never tried it :P

But since Im a quiet tall guy on around 194 cm, what inch should I go with ?

I've been trying to look for a good beginners bike, and I've found this one http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/24_inch_trials_bikes/onza_zoot_2010/c50p11230.html

Is it any good for me ? please give other suggestions if you think otherwise.

The site tartybikes seems like a really good and legit one, but I live in Sweden, so I want to ask if any Swedes or anyone in the western Europe zone If they've ordered anything from that site ? What's the extra charges for shipping and customs ?

But before I run of and buy a bike, is there anything I could practice on my excisting bike to get a hang of what this stuff actually is ?

Keeping in my I ride a Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er, so my frame is a 21" and my wheels are 29", so It's quiet a big bike.

Thank you in advance :)

Edited by TheCaptain

The site tartybikes seems like a really good and legit one, but I live in Sweden, so I want to ask if any Swedes or anyone in the western Europe zone If they've ordered anything from that site ? What's the extra charges for shipping and customs ?

The way the site works means that if you add something to your basket then head to the checkout, you'll see shipping prices there. I have a feeling there's no customs charges for Sweden, but I may be wrong on that...

A Zoot might possibly be a touch on the small side at first (especially when you feel it compared to your 29er), but there's nothing that's really in that price range with larger wheels unfortunately.

The way the site works means that if you add something to your basket then head to the checkout, you'll see shipping prices there. I have a feeling there's no customs charges for Sweden, but I may be wrong on that...

A Zoot might possibly be a touch on the small side at first (especially when you feel it compared to your 29er), but there's nothing that's really in that price range with larger wheels unfortunately.

Yeah well about the custom charges, I once ordered a shirt from USA, I don't remember how expensive it was, maybe 60$ or something, but it later turned into about a ~150$ shirt, It really wasnt worth it :P

But it might be different since It's withing Europe.

So I should consider a 26" eh ? Well my price range could be within £1000 :)

EDIT: I've checked the Specialized site, and I've found some of their bikes http://www.specialized.com/se/en/bc/SBCProduct.jsp?spid=53749&scid=1004&scname=Dirt%2FPark%2FStreet

Would that be something ? Or is that quiet simply the wrong bike ? :P

I'm asking because I know someone that works with Specialized bikes, so I can get a discount and avoiding taxes :)

Edited by TheCaptain
  • Like 1

No custom fees when ordering to Sweden (thanks to EU). Tarty has great customer service and I have never heard that anyone would've any problems with them. What comes to shipping, it usually is rather cheap especially if you are comparing to Scandinavian shipping prices.

Zoot is a good started bike but you might as well order new chain tugs as the Onza ones WILL break. These will work great.

It's a pity that the frame doesn't have 4-bolt brake mounts on it but then again it is damn cheap deal in my opinion. You'll just have to setup the V's properly or get a EVO 2 adaptor for HS33's and be prepared to spend few hours swearing while you are setting those up.

For 500£ it's a great bike but if you have 1000£ to spend then you might as well look in to the higher end bikes.

contact rishede.com he is the swedish biketrial dealer :)

Yeah I've checked him out! and the cheapest bike he's got is the Inspired Element 24", It looks pretty sweet, but It's a bit pricey :)

Is it worth the price ?

No custom fees when ordering to Sweden (thanks to EU). Tarty has great customer service and I have never heard that anyone would've any problems with them. What comes to shipping, it usually is rather cheap especially if you are comparing to Scandinavian shipping prices.

Zoot is a good started bike but you might as well order new chain tugs as the Onza ones WILL break. These will work great.

It's a pity that the frame doesn't have 4-bolt brake mounts on it but then again it is damn cheap deal in my opinion. You'll just have to setup the V's properly or get a EVO 2 adaptor for HS33's and be prepared to spend few hours swearing while you are setting those up.

For 500£ it's a great bike but if you have 1000£ to spend then you might as well look in to the higher end bikes.

It feels like that 500£ bike with a few costumizations could be pretty sweet, but let's say I can spend about 1000£ on a bike, what would you suggest ?

Is the Inspired Element any good ?

Edited by TheCaptain

It feels like that 500£ bike with a few costumizations could be pretty sweet, but let's say I can spend about 1000£ on a bike, what would you suggest ?

Is the Inspired Element any good ?

If I would be building a new bike for 1000£ I'd most probably build one myself from scratch. Tarty has some nice Adamant frames on sale (click) and it would be rather easy to gather a nice bike around it for that money.

I've never ridden the Element but I'm sure you'll find people here who has it. I'm not a fan of the rear V and would most probably invest to Fourplay already because of that but that's again a personal opinion.

If I would be building a new bike for 1000£ I'd most probably build one myself from scratch. Tarty has some nice Adamant frames on sale (click) and it would be rather easy to gather a nice bike around it for that money.

I've never ridden the Element but I'm sure you'll find people here who has it. I'm not a fan of the rear V and would most probably invest to Fourplay already because of that but that's again a personal opinion.

Yeah I'm sure that you could get away cheaper if you're building it yourself, but I'm not really that great of a mechanic and I'm not really that aware of which parts is the best etc :P

I'm sorry for the double post, but since I already edited the last post, I kind of have to :P

I've been thinking, and what sort of basic Trials stuff should I be able to perform on my 29" XC ?

Because I don't want to buy a Trials bike and then totally suck, I want to know what I'm getting into :)

BOOM! haha it might be kinda off but gives you a rough idea of what you could build, remember that if your spending that much at once you can speak to tarty about the price!

Yeah cool, I would think that you could get away cheaper when building it yourself.

But I should go with a 26" ? Since I'm quiet tall, roughly 194 CM.

A 24" is to small ?

Edited by TheCaptain

Yeah cool, I would think that you could get away cheaper when building it yourself.

A 24" is to small ?

I would say that build is a lot better than the standard £1200 Inspired 26" build.

And you need to go out and try different peoples bikes to be honest, its all personal preference, I'm 6 foot and always ridden 20" (apart from a dabble in 24" and 26") I just prefer riding tiny bikes.

I would say that build is a lot better than the standard £1200 Inspired 26" build.

And you need to go out and try different peoples bikes to be honest, its all personal preference, I'm 6 foot and always ridden 20" (apart from a dabble in 24" and 26") I just prefer riding tiny bikes.

Sweet, but I've been looking around abit and the 26" seems abite pricey for me at the moment, so I'll see how it turns out :)

But thanks for the great build.

• 2 weeks later...

A 24" is to small ?

I'd say go with something like a 26" echo build from Tarty. A 24" is rideable when ur tall (im 195cm i think), but its a bit cramped for "pure" trials.

I'd say go with something like a 26" echo build from Tarty. A 24" is rideable when ur tall (im 195cm i think), but its a bit cramped for "pure" trials.

I'm sorry for beeing unclear about what riding I'm going to do.

Since I havnt ridden any trials yet I can't really know, but I think I'm going to do mostly street trials.

And just dabble abit in pure trials :)

So from what I've understood a 24" would be a pretty good middleground.

The thing you could and definitely should practice on your current bike is the track stand, it's the key to all other moves.

With regards to bikes, in my opinion most trials bikes aimed at pure trials are still good for street, but the higher end frames have a potential to snap if you bash it a lot. 24 inch frames like the zoot and inspired are good for Danny mac style street but a beginner will find hopping on the back wheel hard compared to a high bb short chain stay frame.

If I was you I would go with one of the echo full builds, they are cheap for what you get and are still strong.

Don't be shy from ordering from tartys either, there reputation is second to none, and the staff are very helpful too.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...