House Renovations

tomturd

I'm finally getting round to putting in some 'finishing touches' downstairs.

Built a book case yesterday (one more to go which will go in the other alcove), props to the B&Q wood cutting service. I left the measurements with them, told them what thickness of MDF and came back 3 days later, and they'd cut all of the main component parts of 2 massive bookcases for me - all for a grand total of £78. The backs of the bookcases are tongue and groove cladding from wickes. Obviously need to finish them off and paint them white.

A before/during/after pic.

IMG_20120128_111420.jpg

IMG_20120311_144536.jpg

VZdTL.jpg

PS thats a lemon grass growing in that pot. Its getting massive. Can't wait to harvest my first lemon grass, might be another few years :)

• Like 1

That looks great! Nice colour choice too, although it can't have been hard to pick something better than that 'lovely' wallpaper!

Soon I'll be inheriting 1/3 of a house, once Mr Taxman is satisifed, so probably later this/early next year me and my dad (and maybe some help from my sister) will be converting a garage into a kitchen/lounge, fitting a second bathroom upstairs and some other general work.

It's a big change as I might even be moving in while work is carried out to save money on rent and maybe even live there after work is finished...so no more living in the city which isn't great for riding but it also means no loud students and annoying neighbours and no parking charges, my own garden...in fact it's not sounding that bad at all!

odd place for an electric meter ?

looks pretty cool! bookcase fit looks ace.

Yeah, why the feck did they put it there?! According to the plasterers that's pretty standard for houses in Cardiff.

That's a great transformation Tom, awesome work (Y) Taking the glass out the staircase was definitely the right decision. I think I'd have definitely gone with spotlights the whole way through though...

Thanks! At one point I wasn't even going to go for spotlights, really glad I did now - without them on it all looks a bit dull. I guess I wanted to avoid the hundreds of spotlights and a massive TV on the wall look. I'm always thinking about eventual resale value, and I think if people can see it would be easy to either remove the spotlights, or remove the pendants then maybe they wouldn't be put off by either :)

That looks great! Nice colour choice too, although it can't have been hard to pick something better than that 'lovely' wallpaper!

Soon I'll be inheriting 1/3 of a house, once Mr Taxman is satisifed, so probably later this/early next year me and my dad (and maybe some help from my sister) will be converting a garage into a kitchen/lounge, fitting a second bathroom upstairs and some other general work.

It's a big change as I might even be moving in while work is carried out to save money on rent and maybe even live there after work is finished...so no more living in the city which isn't great for riding but it also means no loud students and annoying neighbours and no parking charges, my own garden...in fact it's not sounding that bad at all!

I shamefully stole the colour from a similar 'diy build thread' on avforums.com :P I can't take credit.

Sounds like a big (fun) job you have there! make sure you post pics!

Looks good Tom - Does that lemon grass smell? Or do you have to break it to release the oils to get it to scent anything.

Nah, it's just grass really, for eating (eventually)

Everything I'm able to do in Hayleys flat at the moment is really small stuff, and it's all only with the view of toshing it up so we can get it rented out so it's hardly worth this thread but I'm not keeping a record of it anywhere else so I thought I might as well help keep this thread going too :)

So last night all I had time to do was chuck a coat of primer on the big window at the front of the flat. By the time I'd finished sanding and filling and whatnot I had no time to be particularly careful with the paint so I've gone for the 'paint the windows themselves as well and deal with it later with a razor blade' technique...

Before:

post-497-0-90217600-1348567411_thumb.jpg

After primer:

post-497-0-25509800-1348567535_thumb.jpg

Planning to get the top coats on tonight and start prepping the other 3 windows.

I hope that's masking tape over the glass not paint!

I had no time to be particularly careful with the paint so I've gone for the 'paint the windows themselves as well and deal with it later with a razor blade' technique...

Eggshell looks so much better than gloss imo.

Hell yea, although I have no say in this lot, even though I'm ending up doing it all!

Edited by JD™

had an epic fail on laying floor tiles.

Brand new bucket, started mixing adhesive...

you can guess the rest - not pleased.

also managed to mix the stuff too thin (I always do that grrr) and now worry about the adhesion, and Ive got a tiny hollow patch. gahh

I'm sure a hollow patch is fine. When you're working so closely with things, it's easy to see the tiniest mistake. In fact, my bathroom tiles were all slightly concave which meant if I lifted one I could see that they hadn't fully bedded in the middle, but they're fine. Nobody knows, except me. And now TF :P

My bookshelves are coming on nicely. Finally feels a bit more like a home rather than a painted shell.

So this isn't house renovations, but I've been working on my office for a while as the business has been evolving. I thought I might put up a little post because I'm pretty proud of where it's come from and too.

I had a pretty damn small office to begin with, the first picture that I can find of it is after I'd started stripping the minging wallpaper:

post-497-0-75032700-1349356738_thumb.jpg

I then painted the office wall fifty6 orange, because I had a guy coming in for work experience:

post-497-0-64724900-1349356743_thumb.jpg

The guy on work experience turned out to be pretty good, so he needed space for a desk. This was 10 days since I'd painted that wall, but expansion was necessary:

post-497-0-77321800-1349356747_thumb.jpg

post-497-0-82630800-1349356752_thumb.jpg

post-497-0-00590600-1349356763_thumb.jpg

post-497-0-96457000-1349356766_thumb.jpg

We started getting pretty productive, and working on an old Macbook wasn't really working for me anymore:

post-497-0-40595700-1349356771_thumb.jpg

The plan when we knocked the wall down was always to redecorate again, but Tom being on board had really put a strain on cash flow. We had to make do with just the white for now:

post-497-0-67061700-1349356776_thumb.jpg

post-497-0-83923600-1349356780_thumb.jpg

post-497-0-46779000-1349357001_thumb.jpg

This week, I decided to paint the long wall fifty6 orange because it's been making me itch when we had potential clients in for meetings:

post-497-0-13817700-1349357105_thumb.jpg

Then, last night Hayley dragged me to Ikea, so I made the trip worth it with some new desks, being as we're interviewing again tomorrow:

post-497-0-57602600-1349357011_thumb.jpg

Then this happened. Thanks to Lucy (Miss-Higgy) for sorting this out for me:

post-497-0-02579600-1349357014_thumb.jpg

Super happy:

post-497-0-99447600-1349357021_thumb.jpg

Sorry that was so long and pic heavy, but some people might be intrigued. That all happened since the 11th of May, which is pretty cool to look back on. Obviously it's an office and it's been done on a budget so it's nowhere near perfect. Next stop: floor!

• Like 2