House Renovations

tomturd

Some of you may know I bought my first house about 10 weeks ago. Its been a busy 10 weeks.. thought I'd post some pics up. Had it rewired and central heating installed since I moved in.

Garden

before:

IMG_20110625_140639.jpg

now:

IMG_20110801_181216.jpg

Front bedroom

when I moved in, lovely polystrene ceiling tiles and built in wardrobes

IMG_20110626_104843.jpg

during rewiring

IMG_20110702_112907.jpg

re-skimmed

IMG_20110806_211040.jpg

finished

IMG_20110825_202406.jpg

new door and radiator (central heating installed)

IMG_20110825_202508.jpg

bathroom

walk in shower

IMG_20110815_172230.jpg

removing the old airing cupboard to make room for combi boiler

IMG_20110815_175150.jpg

IMG_20110815_185110.jpg

walk in shower gone

IMG_20110816_173754.jpg

new boiler and bath

IMG_20110822_194812.jpg

Bathroom (today) - about to put up a parition wall so I can make the seperate bathroom and toilet into one big single room

IMG_20110911_100643.jpg

IMG_20110911_174816.jpg

IMG_20110911_202031.jpg

IMG_20110911_202056.jpg

the best of some very boring pics... :D next up is fitting a door to the new partition wall and removing the doors/wall separating the toilet and bathroom.

• Like 1

That's pretty cool, done all that yourself?

I've had people in for the electrics, central heating, plastering and carpet fitting - all on my list of things I'm not even going to attempt. Everything else I've done myself. When I was younger I worked doing fencing/decking and general handyman/odd jobs for 2 years which helped a lot, makes you realise there's not much you can't do yourself.

The walls in that garden are pretty cool, I take it they were hidden by the jungle?

Yep, the whole thing was hidden, there was a shed in there somewhere full of old tools. My girlfriend likes the walls too :D

Is it on budget?

haha, yep its been pretty cheap so far.

damn, something somewhere must not like me posting these pictures. Just walked into the kitchen to get something out of the fridge and noticed the floor was making a weird sound. A weird, squelchy sound. Looked behind the washing machine and both hoses were leaking. And JUST now (like, 2 seconds ago) something just fell off the radiator which has been there all day and banged on the floor.... :ermm:

pretty cool, was looking at a very similar project myself a couple of weeks back, however that house has now gone, so its back on the look.

going to be doing practically everything myself. (rewire is going to be a joint effort between me and a mate, central heating, im basically getting the boiler plumbed into the gas supply, and then installing rads, pipework myself)- well at least that was the plan in the place i had lined up.

just trying to find another house now, in a state of semi disrepair. im finding way too many houses that are up to scratch, for only 10-15 grand more, which makes the whole idea just a little bit less appealing.

rewire is going to be a joint effort between me and a mate

just trying to find another house now, in a state of semi disrepair. im finding way too many houses that are up to scratch, for only 10-15 grand more, which makes the whole idea just a little bit less appealing.

my advice would be to make sure either a) your mate can sign off any electrical work or b ) you 'liase' with an electrician before you start work to make sure they'd be prepared to inspect your work and sign it off for you once its done. I had a bit of a brown pants moment with my electrics, luckily they're all signed off now.

If it was the difference of 10k for a house that doesn't need work then I'd go down that route if i were you! I was pretty lucky with mine and got it for about £30k - £35k less than other houses on the street so theres room to make a profit.

Looks like it might be quite fun. Cosy garden, looking forward to seeing what it's like when you finish the job. Keep us posted.

my advice would be to make sure either a) your mate can sign off any electrical work or b ) you 'liase' with an electrician before you start work to make sure they'd be prepared to inspect your work and sign it off for you once its done. I had a bit of a brown pants moment with my electrics, luckily they're all signed off now.

If it was the difference of 10k for a house that doesn't need work then I'd go down that route if i were you! I was pretty lucky with mine and got it for about £30k - £35k less than other houses on the street so theres room to make a profit.

yea my mate can sign it off.

yea, for example the house i was looking at, was basically a fully functioning shell, it had electric, and water, and electric ducted hot air central heating.

the house further down the street is going for £30k more.

but you start adding up your expenses

Central heating £7000 (no gas on the street, so its lpg, oil fired, or ground source heat pump (i could go air source, but would still need electric underfloor or the like for when it gets colder)

upvc double glazing £3500

kitchen £3000

complete rewire £400 (just materials)

bathroom £900.

+ £5000 on other crap (carpets/laminate flooring, beds, paint, loft insulation,interior doors, new felt roof on the utility room)

and your only 11k short off the completed house, add in all the additonial time spent on it. and its just not as appealing.

Cant belive the size of your garden after you gave it a goood seeing to!

any more plans for it?

Nor me, it was pretty satisfying cutting it all back. 20 odd trips to the tip wasn't so fun. I'll be leaving the garden now until next year I think, probably going to patio that area of mud and just generally tidy it up.

You are getting along really well! Something I definitely want to do in the future when I buy my first house.

Have you also taken into consideration doing some insulation work within the roof/walls? Might be worth doing if you have the budget/inclination to do it.

Yep, I've bought a truck load of 'space blanket' insulation. Reduced from £11 for a narrow roll, to £3, to £1. Bought a huge £21's worth which should be enough to do my loft twice over. Not looking forward to that job though.

yea my mate can sign it off.

yea, for example the house i was looking at, was basically a fully functioning shell, it had electric, and water, and electric ducted hot air central heating.

the house further down the street is going for £30k more.

but you start adding up your expenses

Central heating £7000 (no gas on the street, so its lpg, oil fired, or ground source heat pump (i could go air source, but would still need electric underfloor or the like for when it gets colder)

upvc double glazing £3500

kitchen £3000

complete rewire £400 (just materials)

bathroom £900.

+ £5000 on other crap (carpets/laminate flooring, beds, paint, loft insulation,interior doors, new felt roof on the utility room)

and your only 11k short off the completed house, add in all the additonial time spent on it. and its just not as appealing.

Central heating for £7000? Ouch! That's more than I plan on spending overall. Mine already had double glazing luckily, guessing the previous owner got it on some sort of old persons scheme. That house does sound like a lot of work though, well avoided I think..

Central heating for £7000?

unfortunately as there is no gas on the street, things become way more complex. A boiler costs the same, but I can no longer use a mate to fit it with me/sign it off. so that means paying someone to fit it, the garden doesnt have space for an above ground tank, so the tank will have to be sunk below ground.its just a major ballache. as the whole system has to be certified safe, which either means having one company do the whole lot, or have multiple visits off an inspector (i cant just dig a pit, throw a tank in there, backfill it, run the pipe to the house and then get them to plumb in the boiler, theyd want to see the tank safely installed in the ground etc)

unfortunately as there is no gas on the street, things become way more complex. A boiler costs the same, but I can no longer use a mate to fit it with me/sign it off. so that means paying someone to fit it, the garden doesnt have space for an above ground tank, so the tank will have to be sunk below ground.its just a major ballache. as the whole system has to be certified safe, which either means having one company do the whole lot, or have multiple visits off an inspector (i cant just dig a pit, throw a tank in there, backfill it, run the pipe to the house and then get them to plumb in the boiler, theyd want to see the tank safely installed in the ground etc)

building control sounds like a hassle. I hope I dont have to get them round for anything I'm planning...

Tonight I put in a frosted perspex sheet above my new bathroom door, and knocked the seperate toilet and bathroom into one big room - really satisfying :D

IMG_20110914_182638.jpg

IMG_20110914_182726.jpg

IMG_20110914_185036.jpg

IMG_20110914_185047.jpg

IMG_20110914_192938.jpg

IMG_20110914_211404.jpg

IMG_20110914_211547.jpg

That is SUCH a better room already, nicely done (Y)

I'm really looking forward to moving out of the flat and getting a house to do stuff like this to. Did you have the thoughts of most of the work you've done while you were initially walking round, or did it take a bit of time to work it all out? My biggest worry is that I wont have the vision unless the place is completely empty, which is unlikely...

That is SUCH a better room already, nicely done (Y)

I'm really looking forward to moving out of the flat and getting a house to do stuff like this to. Did you have the thoughts of most of the work you've done while you were initially walking round, or did it take a bit of time to work it all out? My biggest worry is that I wont have the vision unless the place is completely empty, which is unlikely...

Cheers :)

To be honest I only looked at one house (this one) in person, I'd been keeping an eye on globrix for houses which had south facing gardens, under a certain price and in a certain area. This was the only one that met those criteria. When I first phoned up about it, it'd been sold, but a few months later it popped back onto globrix and it turned out that sale fell through, so I jumped in straight away.

As for deciding what to do with it, I'm just making it up as I go along really. When I viewed the house I had passing thoughts of 'oh, this is just a partition wall so I could potentially stick a door there and knock this wall down..', another example is the suspended ceiling downstairs; I only discovered it had a suspended ceiling after I'd moved in (I was wondering why the curtains seem to dissapear into the ceiling), so that's given me the idea to restore it to its original ceiling height.

tl;dr version, I didn't really have much thought about what to do before buying the place, and there's not really much 'working out' to do, its just a case of getting on with it :)

Cheers :)

To be honest I only looked at one house (this one) in person, I'd been keeping an eye on globrix for houses which had south facing gardens, under a certain price and in a certain area. This was the only one that met those criteria. When I first phoned up about it, it'd been sold, but a few months later it popped back onto globrix and it turned out that sale fell through, so I jumped in straight away.

As for deciding what to do with it, I'm just making it up as I go along really. When I viewed the house I had passing thoughts of 'oh, this is just a partition wall so I could potentially stick a door there and knock this wall down..', another example is the suspended ceiling downstairs; I only discovered it had a suspended ceiling after I'd moved in (I was wondering why the curtains seem to dissapear into the ceiling), so that's given me the idea to restore it to its original ceiling height.

tl;dr version, I didn't really have much thought about what to do before buying the place, and there's not really much 'working out' to do, its just a case of getting on with it :)

That's pretty much exactly what I wanted to hear. I'm gonna be moving out of Croydon, renting a place down by my office for a bit while I go find something similar. Are you living there while you're doing all the work or have you got somewhere else to ease the disruption?

Living here. Doing a bit of rearranging as different parts of the house are done. Soon I'll be moving the living room into our current bedroom, and moving the current bedroom into the smaller bedroom, that'll leave downstairs clear to sort out.

I think I've done everything in a fairly sensible order, at no point was the bathroom without a door, for example. I'm constantly cleaning too (even when I know its going to be a mess again in a few hours time) - using an outdoor brush on carpet works surprisingly well. Just makes it a bit more liveable :)

Living here. Doing a bit of rearranging as different parts of the house are done. Soon I'll be moving the living room into our current bedroom, and moving the current bedroom into the smaller bedroom, that'll leave downstairs clear to sort out.

I think I've done everything in a fairly sensible order, at no point was the bathroom without a door, for example. I'm constantly cleaning too (even when I know its going to be a mess again in a few hours time) - using an outdoor brush on carpet works surprisingly well. Just makes it a bit more liveable :)

Yea I can't see I'll be able to afford to do it any other way either to be honest!

Seems like you've got it all under control - definitely keep the thread updated because it's interesting to see the development (Y)