The Minefield That Are Pads... Help!

kaybs41282

Hi guys, I've only got a lightish sharp grind which I'll probably let die and not grind too often. Which CNC backed Maggy pads would be best? I'm using a 4 bolt booster.

I'm after serious bite, serious hold and a huuuuge honk!

Heatsink yellows :)

Sometimes I wonder why this forum even has a pad review thread...

My vote, heatsink yellows. Faultless for me, but not for everyone.

I'll combat your unnecessary sarcastic comment with the following:

1) read the pad review extensively without a conclusive outcome

2) posted the exact same thing on the pad review

3) thanks for your suggestion, why aren't they for everyone?

Edited by kaybs41282

The reason there's no conclusive outcome is because there's not a conclusive answer. For example, I've found LGMs to be the f**king boss on all of my brakes (on my mod and my stock). Nice grind, good setup, nice bleed, perfect every time. However, there are people who just don't seem to get on with them. There's a shitload of things that affect how your brake works and feels, and because of that you're never going to get a level playing field.

That said: LGMs are f**king boss.

right, i see these topics everyday everyones going to say a different thing the only way your gunna know is by trying a set of pads out yourself, im running lgm's front and back and they are THE best pads iv used in 6 years iv been riding, not having a go like but its just the same thing all the time with these kinds of questions

• Like 1

The reason there's no conclusive outcome is because there's not a conclusive answer. For example, I've found LGMs to be the f**king boss on all of my brakes (on my mod and my stock).

I used to grind my rim like an animal so mine did not work so well unless mark ground my rim (he has the special touch)

D'you mean you've already got LGMs? If so, as a wildcard answer - you could try some Trialtech pads and put the material in your TNN backings. Stan and Cap are running that setup now and it's really good (Y)

Indeed I am and loving it. The trialtechs would take some "slight" modification to get them to fit in the tnn backings but they do work so well in them.

There's not been much about PhatPads on the forum much this year, on account of not having them stocked at TB, and with me being out the scene at Uni, but they've been around and popular for over 5 years now. There's still many riders using them all over the world on grinds or smooth and in the wet & dry.

PhatPads are also only £20 via the website too, so with the CNC PhatMag backings and the best all-round pad material, seems a winning combo in my eyes! :)

I bounce between LGM's and HS yellows in CNC backings. Currently got the LGM's on the front and heatsinks on the rear and finding it to be an awesome combo, did have the LGM's on the rear when I first got them but personally found that unless the grind was pretty fresh they didn't hold so well though when the grind's good they were decidedly epic.

I might go for a HS/LGM combo front and rear by having one of each pad, that could be interesting....

There's not been much about PhatPads on the forum much this year, on account of not having them stocked at TB, and with me being out the scene at Uni, but they've been around and popular for over 5 years now. There's still many riders using them all over the world on grinds or smooth and in the wet & dry.

PhatPads are also only £20 via the website too, so with the CNC PhatMag backings and the best all-round pad material, seems a winning combo in my eyes! :)

Here here, been running phats for over 2 and half years and won't change back, work in all weathers, also to add to what mike said they have slimest backings out so more room for small adjustment!!

They certainly work best on a proper grind, that's for sure. They give the best hold that way (including in wet and muddy conditions - more so than any other pad), and if it's bite you're after then these may not be the pads for you. If it's confidence, hold and an amazing wear life you're after, then a booster, a long lever blade, and a decent grind - then I believe you'd be pushed to find better. :)

can i hijack your thread for a sec i didnt want to sart a whole thread on this

i'm running a mavic ex721 with red magura pads and have been told on more than one occacion i need to get some decent pads, but they all seem to be for grinded rims and its not exactly a big braking surface on the 721 compared to trials specific rims and i dont think even £30 ones would make a damn bit of difference with my setup am i wrong?

thats mike, well if i go for a cnc backing that eliminaes alot and makes it slighty easier lol

as i use my wheel on my xc bike too im not grinding and dont want to make a racket, if anyone has used either of these on an ungrinded rim your thoughts please?

Rockman Blues http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/hs33_brake_pads/rockman_cnc_blues/c4p11090.html

Heatsink Yellows http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/hs33_brake_pads/heatsink_cnc_yellows/c4p11544.html

Heatsink Blues http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/hs33_brake_pads/heatsink_cnc_blues/c4p11634.html

TNN LGM's http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/hs33_brake_pads/tnn_engineering_lgm/c4p10892.html