Number Of Sexual Partners.

Simpson

I've wondered this before, too. It depends whether you're talking about mean, median or mode as 'average'. Cool people, read on.

If you make a few assumptions (two heterosexual partners per interaction etc) then draw some graphs: x axis = the number of lifetime sexual partners, and y axis the number of people with that many sexual partners. You'll get an approximately bell-shaped curve, with the mean in the middle. Let's take men first (the blue line on the graph). If we assume that the graph is perfectly distributed about the mean (I.e. not skewed) then the mean number of partners=median=mode. Essentially this means that if the average is 5 partners, then the number of people with 4 partners is the same as the number of people with 6 partners etc.

Now imagine a second graph for women (pink line). We'll assume that the number of interactions are the same (I.e. the area under the graph is the same as the male graph, and the mean is in the same place as the male graph). However, imagine that for there are a handful of women who have slept with hundreds of guys. We'll call them prostitutes or megasluts. Even though most of the individual women in the population have slept with 2-3 men (so the mode average will be 2 or 3), the handful of prostitutes sleeping with hundreds of men each will 'skew' the graph to the side. The mean average will be the same as the male mean average (5) but the mode (the tallest point on the graph) is 2.

If you've read some statistics that the average number of sexual partners is different for men and women, they may be talking about the modal (or median) average as opposed to the mean.

Based on logic cited previously in the thread, the population averages should be the same for straight men/women.

However, it's highly impractical to measure everyone in the population. As such, samples of the population are taken, and depending on the number of samples and the shape of the male/female distribution curves (as illustrated by Tom's chart) will give you different samples averages.

I thought most normal people stopped shagging around and tried to be a bit more mature about these sorts of things when they got to mid 20's? When do most people see it as the right time to start settling down and showing some signs of commitment?

Why are you implying that people who 'shag around' aren't normal. It's people who get married and have 1 sexual partner and the ones who aren't normal really, it goes against all our natural instincts.

Absolutely nothing wrong with just going out and f**king a different person week in week out, so long as it's all safe and consenting.

Yeah, that's definitely me.

Word, Andy P the sexual pest.

I am not saying its un-normal, or saying anything bad about people who do think that every holes a goal are bad people. When you are younger your priorities are different, in terms of actual age I am a bit younger than Andy for instance. But Andy and I despite being good friends are total chalk and cheese in terms of lifestyle and outlooks (not to mention morals! :P)

I guess I was just dragged up with a more traditional outlook on these sorts of things. Don't get me wrong, Andy's life (for instance!) seems much more fun than mine and he is never bored and people in general flock to him. Where as I am seen as a bit of a weirdo because I am 15 years old before my time. So there are trade offs to living life while you are young, I settled down early and feel I have benefitted for it. Not many people the age my girlfriend and I are own a house for instance. But then agai Andy has traveled the world and had his fingers in lots of pies...lol

In terms of the population though, there are (IMO) far too many people having unsafe and just generally stupid sex, people having unprotected sex when they are not in the position to deal with the consequences, people being active and doing far too much far too young.

Edited by Pashley26

Word, Andy P the sexual pest.

(not to mention morals! :P)

Don't get me wrong, Andy's life (for instance!) seems much more fun than mine and he is never bored and people in general flock to him.

But then agai Andy has traveled the world and had his fingers in lots of pies...lol

Thats about my life summed up in one post. LOL

'Traditionally' men would beat their women and treat them as baby factories as well, do you subscribe to that as well?

I wouldn't mind if you were condemning serial sluts, but you clearly stated that you are completely ignorant to a womans previous encounters. Forgive me for being 'traditional' here, but when I love a woman I want to know absolutely everything about her. The good, the bad, and the ugly. I'll restrain against another comment on the last of those three.

I don't actually disagree with your overall point, I just think you have a ridiculously shit way of putting things across which makes you seem more of a dick than you actually are.

I think if me and Jardo met in real life the world would explode :P

It nearly did once, can't you remember the time I offered you a lift to a car show? willy. :P

Personally I just DO NOT want to know, I am the well jel, posessive/psycho killer type and it plays on my mind. I honestly struggle daily with it! lol

It nearly did once, can't you remember the time I offered you a lift to a car show? willy. :P

Personally I just DO NOT want to know, I am the well jel, posessive/psycho killer type and it plays on my mind. I honestly struggle daily with it! lol

Horses for course then. I don't think many people really WANT to know how much cock their girl has had, but completely ignoring a part of your partners life is just odd to me. Then again, what the f**k do I know? You're happily in relationship and I'm not, you're clearly doing something right...

We're bound to meet one day, I just dread that day more than you dread the thought of your girlfriend having an addiction to gangbanging when you're not around.

Seeing females in terms of 'purity' and 'innocence' who are 'dirtied', in some sense, by sex is the result of our Judeo-Christian heritage. No doubt this myth about sex was a means of keeping the sexual powers of women over men in check. It's pretty stupid really but you'd be forgiven for buying into on a sub-conscious level given its commonality over a long period of our history. I'm sure it's worth taking some time to discard of though as I can't see it doing you any favours...

Horses for course then. I don't think many people really WANT to know how much cock their girl has had, but completely ignoring a part of your partners life is just odd to me. Then again, what the f**k do I know? You're happily in relationship and I'm not, you're clearly doing something right...

We're bound to meet one day, I just dread that day more than you dread the thought of your girlfriend having an addiction to gangbanging when you're not around.

Pretty sure she does.

Problem with me is that I have a stupid mind, and the thought of my girlfriend getting any cock and the thought of her enjoying "another man" regardless of time frame angers me. The thought of my girlfriend with another man is the single most revolting thing for me. The thought that my girlfriend ever felt the way she does about me with somebody else is just grim, sometimes we say and do things and I just feel a downer about them and as though they are second hand news.

I look into it far too deeply, I see her as mine and the intimacy we have with each other and the way we know each others bodies is the best bit for me. To think that anybody else knows what "my" woman in that way is just sickening.

Now, where's my self help dvd?

Jardo, if Lou wasn't so repulsed my my near constant nakedness, I'm sure you'd let me - because 1. I'm Andy P and 2. That's just how I roll.

I would;

1. Because she would sexually destroy you which would be well funny.

2. Because you would have to exchange for a go on your ring girl.

Why is it that the thought of you banging my missus doesnt offend me as much? Because I know she would just be a blur in your sexual encounters.

Edited by Pashley26

I would;

1. Because she would sexually destroy you which would be well funny.

2. Because you would have to exchange for a go on your ring girl.

Why is it that the thought of you banging my missus doesnt offend me as much? Because I know she would just be a blur in your sexual encounters.

Ring girl was last week man. There's been 2 since.... :-

Is it wrong that I imagine your life in the same way that I imagine the front cover of "the very hungry catapillar"?

Change it to "the very sexually frustrated catapillar" and make it a story of Andy P smashing the back doors off every woman he meets until one day he wakes up a beautiful butterfly?

Is it wrong that I imagine your life in the same way that I imagine the front cover of "the very hungry catapillar"?

Change it to "the very sexually frustrated catapillar" and make it a story of Andy P smashing the back doors off every woman he meets until one day he wakes up a beautiful butterfly?

That is actually my most favorite book of all time! And I'm not frustrated, that would imply that I don't get any...

And Luke... I only go for butterflies. Standards.

That is actually my most favorite book of all time! And I'm not frustrated, that would imply that I don't get any...

And Luke... I only go for butterflies. Standards.

so do i son. at least they look like butterflies to me after about 8 pints and some jagermeister,usually when you wake up they look like a witchity grub. nowt wrong wi shagging fat birds, least they let you put it anywhere with no complaints