Milk

Gaz96

In Eastern countries, like China, where less red meat and dairy products are eaten the cancer rates are much, much lower than Western countries. Although I do agree that there are many other 'causes' and variables.

Maybe the detection rates are lower in those Eastern countries...

rubbing a banana on your penis can cause cancer

What about rubbing your penis on a banana?!

• Like 1

That's certainly not the case on all farms/dairy farms though. Speaking as someone who grew up on one.

On a side note; If we were only supposed to eat plants then we'd have four stomachs too. Meat is goooood.

Edit; I think it's a general banana/penis interaction thing. You'd probably be ok with a kumquat.

<snip>

All very nice and everything, but the easiest way to make money is through exploitation. Having grown up in a farming community though, I have to call you out on a few points which sounds like shit to me.

They do not always have the calves taken away for veal all the time (bulls you have to though, otherwise you'd have too many bulls). Dairy cows don't make for nice beef, they make tough, cheap, nasty beef. When they get old, they're sold off for slaughter and often end up in McDonalds burgers, but as veal is relatively expensive anyway, you very very rarely find dairy cow veal (ignoring dairy bull veal), it's usually beef cow veal, bred for the purpose. In the US, only 19% of all beef used for food is from dairy cows. Cows don't deserve to survive very long anyway IMO, they're incredibly stupid animals. If a 1000kg cow can be controlled and manipulated by a 75kg human, then they can't look after themselves anyway, so they have to pay for their existance. They can't even milk themselves, so humans have to do that for them as well.

The amount of antibiotics they're given is controlled very carefully, it's been ratified by all the scientific bodies and has been proven to be the optimum level to make the milk safer.

Poor conditions? You are aware they live in fields most of the time right? You do have to bring them in to the barn in winter to keep them warm but not 24/7, only when it gets properly cold, (i.e. well below freezing). The conditions they live in are carefully controlled to make life easier for them. The "natural" way is for you to be naked and sleep in a bush, but isn't it just nicer living in a house? As long as you clean the barn out daily, it's fine.

It is exploitation, it's not very nice at times but it's not as bad as you've made out IMO.

Although I do agree with you that milk isn't needed anyway. I've never liked drinking milk. I have it in tea and coffee, but haven't eaten cerial in at least 10 years. You can get your calcium from other sources easily enough, (which I believe you do need), but you can get enough from the veg in your diet.

EDIT: BTW, if you're wondering if any of this is meant to be tongue in cheek, it is.

Edited by Muel

Dairy cows live in bad conditions and have to be imprgnated to produce milk (like humans). They then have their calves taken away for the meat or veal (veal is very cruel). The mother cows are very distressed by having their calves taken away.

Vegetarians often drink milk but theres no avoiding it, buying milk contributes to the slaugter of cows. Dairy cows do not live out their days in peace when their milk production drops they are killed.

This is total bollocks, father in law is a dairy farmer. There's obviously gonna be a few that slip through the net but I'd say the cows are treated well. They only get given antibiotics when they are required which is usually if one the bags is infected as if they don't then the cow generally loses the use.

Again like Sam says the cows live in the field in the summer, the grass is the best thing for them and they get brough into the sheds in winter as generally there is no grass to eat and they only end up getting absolutely filthy and can end up with footrot. They get fed silage which is just grass and any corn they have is enriched with vitamins to keep the cows healthy.

This is total bollocks, father in law is a dairy farmer. There's obviously gonna be a few that slip through the net but I'd say the cows are treated well. They only get given antibiotics when they are required which is usually if one the bags is infected as if they don't then the cow generally loses the use.

Again like Sam says the cows live in the field in the summer, the grass is the best thing for them and they get brough into the sheds in winter as generally there is no grass to eat and they only end up getting absolutely filthy and can end up with footrot. They get fed silage which is just grass and any corn they have is enriched with vitamins to keep the cows healthy.

Exactly. Brother in law is a dairy farmer and the cows have it pretty good. The farmers are paid more for good quality milk with lower 'cell counts' (or summink) which means it's really in the farmers interest to keep the cows, fit and healthy.

I don't use any animal products because I feel the production is cruel and I don't wish to support it. I drink soya milk in my tea and coffee and I like it better than cow's milk.

Good for you. Have a happy cow.

HappyCow.jpg

I apologise if I am mistaken about the antibiotics, that's what I heard happens. I may be getting confused with what happens in America. Quoting me and saying "it's total bollocks" is a little rude but never mind. Most of what I said is true, we probably disagree on what we feel is fair treatment, that's why I said it was my opinion.

Watch out for the mega dairies that may soon be popping up in the UK.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nocton_Dairies_controversy

I beleive over 50% of the population are lactose intolerant

Stopped reading here.

Even if you're going by tiny side effects I don't know anyone who is lactose intolerant, let alone more than half of the people I know.

Personally, I f**king love milk. If i'm eating a biscuit or chocolate, or any kind of muffin or cake I've got to have a glass of milk wih it.

Love cereal, love cream based cocktails.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactose_intolerance

Maybe more than you would think, maybe different ethnic groups are effected differently.

I love soya based cheese n soya milk in tea and coffee (don't like it on its own). I probably have far too much of it :)

Edited by Rebelistic

I think you'll find that 1000 years ago our life expectancy was so low that the majority of people simply died before cancer was an issue or died of cancer but without people understanding the cause.

Have we evolved (both physically and medically) too quickly for our bodies to keep up? By living longer our cells are now struggling to resist mutations? Am I just stabbing in the dark? Should I stop asking questions? Dunno.

I have also thought this.

Here's my opinion:

I admit I'm biased. I don't use any animal products because I feel the production is cruel and I don't wish to support it. I drink soya milk in my tea and coffee and I like it better than cow's milk.

After nearly 10 years of not drinking milk I find it smells horrible and I can't imagine wanting to drink it again.

Soya products destroy forests.

Cows are not stupid.

what the other dudes said.

Soya products destroy forests.

Yeah when you buy soya milk (or orther products) it's worth checking how it is sourced and that it's GM free. This is mostly the case in the UK at least.

BTW most soya (especially the unethical kind) is grown for animal feed.

Yeah I find most brands of soya milk taste bad on their own, I like 'So Good' though, Alpro for tea/coffee. There's also lots of other kinds of milk (rice, coconut etc.) :)

Edited by Rebelistic