24" Handlebars

Conradm94

Yeah, most MTB companies tend to measure the "rise" of the bar as the stem clamp to the end of the bends (~inside of the grips) where as Tarty tend to list the "total rise" of a bar from clamps to outside edge.

Need to look at the full geo to get any real comparison there. The standard "rise" measurement is great for same-sweep bar comparison but with trials bars being a little odd in terms of geo that's not always easy.

Sooo... what bars are of the same order of overall rise as the TT highs? Especially if a 50mm 'rise' set of Deity's come out with a similar actual rise as 103mm rise Inspired Skyes?

The bars on the Skye are just Inspired branded TT Highs, so I'd say a set of 50mm Deity's should be pretty close :P

Well the Deity's are just .75 of an inch narrower, with 1 degree less backsweep , and half the upsweep, but pretty much the same overall height.....seems pretty ideal to me. I've never got why the higher upsweep bars are as popular on 24's? I always find them a bit uncomfortable and odd when steering. Even on the Skye I recently rode, whilst it felt lovely overall I just found it too 'inward' for want of a better word. I get it on the backwheel, but bearing in mind a lot of 24 riding doesn't spend a great deal of time then I thought they'd be less popular...

Edit: Doh!

Edited by Matthew62

Crude as f**k as it was a 2 minute play, but I'll chuck through various bars later on and try to get a fair comparison chart of sorts (Y)

barcomp.png

The worst part is that it's all well and good knowing the rise (either to the ends or to the bends), sweep etc, but trying to get a decent plot obviously depends on the width of the central flat section too :P

For example the Inspired bar has the same 'total rise' as the Sport despite less sweep. That could due to higher central rise or the sweep starting at an earlier point.

Ok, so purely in the interests of discussion and shit, I used the fact that the Tarty boys are kind enough to list a 'total rise' in their info to look at this a bit more. Having that along with the other geo means that it's possible to compare bars without needing to know more info about the nature of the rise, so we can look purely at where grips are going to lie (ie, the bit that makes the difference in terms of feel).

This is, of course, without even beginning to think about rotation of the bars etc.

barconparisoncopy.png

Will no doubt be procrastinating some more later, so I might throw some more generic MTB bars in the mix later (Deity etc) to see what the craic is. If anyone wants to see where anything specific fits in the mix fire me the geo of said bar.

Haha, ok guesswork time then!

Double walls had a pretty wide centre section from what I can remember, so the outside of the bends is fairly widespread.

Going on this picture (you may recognise it :P ) I'd hazard a guess that the outer end of the bends is approximately half the bar, so assuming the bar's around 27" (give or take) that'd put it at around 6.75" from the centre.

DSC_1701.jpg

Without knowing the upsweep of the bar we can't say much for sure either, but the new bars are 3*9 sweep (up/back). I'm fairly sure they were a degree or so more upsweepy than that, but we'll roll with it as rolling the bars forward a couple of degrees converts some back to up anyway so we've got something in the region of 5 degrees upsweep as a guide.

So, overall we're going on the approximation that the bars:

Rise 2.5" (~63mm) at 6.75" (~170mm) from the centre.

Have in the region of 5 degrees upsweep (when on the bike)

post-5821-0-13379600-1328027878_thumb.pn

Pretty cool really. As we all know and love, they've got decent amounts of rise and aren't so steep as other bars. Shame they weren't so keen on staying in one piece (though I'd put a chunk of that down to being made of 100% flex which was what made them so comfy too) :P

Also explains why rolling back a set of Trialtech Highs gives a relatively similar feel, just with a much stiffer bar.

Obviously with all the numbers we're completely pulling out of thin air this will be a bit out, but having nothing to go on tends to do that. Should give a vague idea though I guess.

Worth noting that the grip area on the plot above makes them look like there's much less room to put your hands. This is kind of the case since the region inside the rise of the doublewalls is pretty wide. This is a fair shout, but the other bars on the plot don't necessarily have massive wide grip regions, it was just quicker to plot them all like that than to guess for each bar - Tarty's "total rise" figure means the slope/position of each of those bars is correct (at least to tartys numbers) but obviously the central width will be different for each of them.

I need some of these TT high rise bars, I stupidly went for tensiles because at the time I was solely looking at lighter bars and they were lighter than most of the ones on tarty but inturn they are flexy as hell and just make my bike feel like a sponge to ride!