Football..

Joe Papasnap Maher

Football is a game, games are meant to be fun.

I played football for a few years and really enjoyed it, then I reached under 14/15's and it started to get more serious and less fun. I had to have an operation on my leg so was unable to do any sports for a while then never got back into it. The manager from the last team I played for used to get so stressed and angry it was really funny how serious he took a local teenage league.

I am not really interested in club football but will happily watch certain international games.

The manager from the last team I played for used to get so stressed and angry it was really funny how serious he took a local teenage league.

Yea that was the downside of football (maybe worse because I lived in Essex) But as a kid parents used to get banned from attending matches and some people took it wayy too far. I remember in the quarter finals of the Essex Cup I scored a free kick in extra time and in the next 2 or so minutes 4 of there players got sent off and the match had to finish as a DNF, people really took youth football too far, but I guess everyone wants to be a professional footballer and everyone knew scouts would be at the final.

EDIT: And to add thats why I refused to play for the school and didn't do trials for the uni team because all their "good" players are greedy arrogant pricks, had an "awesome 2nd team player" play for us once and he never passed the ball, one of our lads has now got into 1st team but never passed the ball so I had to keep subbing him off despite his obvious skill.

Edited by Simpson

Okay first of all yid army means to me like tottenham fans in general, in no way I mean it as hooliganism. I go to tottenham matches pretty often and I have since I was young. At white hart lane everyone chants yid army as a collective of tottenham fans not in a hooliganism gang way. So the way I've been bought up in the spurs football culture since I was young was that it was the collective of supporters not the gang, I have looked at it this way since I asked my dad at the very first game I went too.

I don't agree with football hooliganism at all either, I've never been involved in a football fight and intend to be.

I play and watch football for the game not the gang culture at all.

So I just wanted to clear up that yid army doesn't mean a gang to me! :)

I'm in complete agreement that people take it too far. I quit a few teams when I was younger just because people used to ruin the atmosphere by generally being idiotic sore losers, I think thats what made the laid back nature of skateboarding/bmx so appealing.

How so? It's not even like football's a difficult thing to do. I imagine if any coordinated kid stuck at it rather than getting an education and getting a proper job they could become a successful professional football player. It only requires practice, fitness and a bit of luck to be 'spotted'. Lets face it, it's not even like there are only a few positions available to play the game (again thinking F1 where you need to be one of the 22/24 best drivers in the world to stand a chance) as there must be literally thousands of overpaid players out there thinking they're god. I honestly can't see why the clubs should pay out anywhere near the obscene amounts they do when a popular and successful pro player will make nearly as much purely through sponsorship. I simply don't get it!

1) What Simps said, it's really not that easy.

2) Anything different would be a complete undermining of the relatively free flowing supply and demand economy we live in.

3) I'm not saying it's a pointless argument because I don't agree with it, it's just pointless because it's been heard so many times and it's never going to change. Just not really an argument worth having if you ask me. Sure we'd all love them to swap wages with heart surgeons or something, but that's just not the way of the world unfortunately.

Edited by Max Quinn

Im a Portsmouth fan kind of comes from growing up there really such a shame to see the club fall to pieces :( I hate the guy but I love seeing Ronaldo play when he's not practising his amateur dramatics.

You also cant beat terrace humour one of my best moments was watching my local team Havant and Waterlooville take the lead twice at anfield it was brilliant to see such a small team put pressure on a top 10 premiership side and forcing them to bring a few big names to stay safe.

haha he walked into Manchester Universitys Library the other day and payed off everyones fines!

I should probably point out that as plausible as it sounds, the whole Balotelli library fine thing was the creation of some bored third years whom I happen to know quite well. I was actually in JRUL with them when they seeded the rumour on Facebook, which then went viral insanely fast.

Don't underestimate procrastinating students...

Not being funny but if you really were that good smoking wouldn't have mattered that much, if you love the game you will play no matter what. I took a year out after I ruptured my spleen but got back into it and I still smoke.... I'm not as good as I used to be but I still look forwards to playing every Sunday. Some top prem players smoke... well Ashley Cole does... if you call him a top player.

Sorry when I said smoking I meant smoking cannabis, basicly ended up just a fag full of cba dry.gif So never went out to training or for a kick about with mates (N)

Seeing as this thread is here now, I'm shit at skill/freestyle, anyone got any suggestions on building from the ground up? If it's just practice that's cool, but I'm just wondering if there's like drills I can practice to give me a better touch/better control, that's what I'm looking for more than anything.

Anyone see the Arsenal game? Wenger shouldn't have taken off that Chamberlain guy, he was on 2 goals at about 60 mins, should have definitely kept him on to see if he could get his hattrick, pretty lame. Van Persie being his usual beastly self. And a female linesman!!! What's everyone's take on them? I have no problem with women playing any part in a game as long as they are the best person for the job, but I have friends who think they have no place in the male game, which I think is retarded.

Seeing as this thread is here now, I'm shit at skill/freestyle, anyone got any suggestions on building from the ground up? If it's just practice that's cool, but I'm just wondering if there's like drills I can practice to give me a better touch/better control, that's what I'm looking for more than anything.

if im honest, by freestyle skills are probably better than my actual football skills, and i never really developed them. but I did play a lot of basketball, and in my opinion there is no thought but into how you move with a basketball, its all done by instinct,which crossed over rather well to football(bearing in mind dribbling a basketball, is the upside down principle of keepie ups). Now i realise you may as well go practice keepie ups as go dribble a basketball, but for learning how to pass a ball through your legs and kinda sense where it is/rather than looking for it, a couple of hours of basketball dribbling might not go amiss.

Another thing we had to do was spin the ball on our fingers/elbows etc after a hard training session, penalty being the first person to drop the ball would have to do 50 press ups or the like. and whilst spinning the ball on your finger is a pretty useless skill in the game, it does actually teach hand to eye coordination and teaches the body to react to movement etc rather well. which is something you can practise whilst sat in your room waiting for world of warcraft to load.

I was thinking more showing off type ability than anything, rabonas, rainbows etc. Just dunno what to start with, I've got a pretty good natural touch and what not. I reckon it's just a practice thing but I'm a pretty big fan of building from the basics now so wondered where others started from.

I guess it's something I've never worked on, I always practiced trick passing more than anything, so I just need to do the same with shit like that.

I was thinking more showing off type ability than anything, rabonas, rainbows etc. Just dunno what to start with, I've got a pretty good natural touch and what not. I reckon it's just a practice thing but I'm a pretty big fan of building from the basics now so wondered where others started from.

I guess it's something I've never worked on, I always practiced trick passing more than anything, so I just need to do the same with shit like that.

rainbows are fairly easy( do it properly though, with one foot behind the other, not side by side) just start by doing it standing, either trying to flick the ball into your ass, or flick it up,spin 180 and do it into kick ups, once thats solid, its a case of throwing it higher and forwards, which requires almost a pre loading of the front foot,so when the ball comes up, youve got that bit longer in the air to throw your legs higher and under you, and then get them back to the floor.

never ever tried a proper rabona, done the whole movement using the side of the foot to throw a pass off to the side but thats about it.

I can do rainbows okay, just can't get them straight up and over me. Once the weather gets better I'll just get out more and get to the practicing. My brother pops out perfect rabonas every time, I just can't do them for shit.

Great finish from Ba and great play from Newcastle for anyone that's watching.

Edited by MonsieurMonkey

Didn't see Johnny Evans' own goal or United's third, but Luiz's goal definitely came off Ferdinand, was going straight to De Gea otherwise. Torres' ball was absolutely perfect though. The stand out moment of the game was Giggs' ball to Hernandez (I think? Shit stream) was almost perfect.

Cisse's (Newcastle one) goal was awesome. Great first premiership goal.