The Car Thread

MadManMike

I was expecting to be able to put pics up of a nice neat aux input job I was going to do tonight, but alas my car is a month older than I thought when I ordered the stuff :( Hopefully have the next lot before the weekend so I can do it then...

Can relays be mounted inside a sealed box? I have 2 30A relays (1 for high, 1 for low) for my headlights as i'm doing a wiring upgrade and I have found a sealed box to keep them protected in my engine bay. I've never noticed my relays getting hot, but i'm concerned that without some cool air around them they may fail?

Use a metal box and stick them to the side with some kind of thermal adhesive? I don't think relays should be getting hot though.

Well having lived with the M5 for a day now I can say that it's an impressive car but I don't like it. I absolutely hate the fly by wire throttle, it feels like you're playing a computer game. I like to be able to feel the texture of the throttle cable if that makes sense, instead the accelerator has absolutely no feel whatsoever. I can't get the seat as low as I'd like it and that's not usually something I have problems with being rather short.

It's weird that in the past few months I've driven all sorts of super saloons and sports cars the motoring press rave on about and not once did I actually enjoy myself. None of them feel mechanical. A few months ago I was told by my cousin who drives an XKR-S that my M3 is the best car he's driven in his life (and he's had a shit load of M's, Maseratis, TVR's, Bentleys, you name it). I thought he was joking, being kind or just silly. I was told similar things over the past year or so by friends who drive 911s, R8s, M6s and similar vehicles. I'm starting to believe them. Owning that car has made my standards ridiculously high.

• Like 1

gaah, want to be driving by marchish, real nervous D:

Thank you though x

You'll be okay I'm sure! First time taking it?

Just read the questions carefully. If it's taking you more that a couple of minutes to choose an answer then move on to the next question and go back to it later.

I'm dyslexic so find these sort of things tricky, did mine 6 years ago, and I still had plenty of time to look over all the questions again.

• Like 1

You'll be okay I'm sure! First time taking it?

Just read the questions carefully. If it's taking you more that a couple of minutes to choose an answer then move on to the next question and go back to it later.

I'm dyslexic so find these sort of things tricky, did mine 6 years ago, and I still had plenty of time to look over all the questions again.

yeah first time, kinda forgot about it as booked it before christmas and realised it's under a week :P haha

already got a car though so after this gunna get my proper test booked, ford KA cruising here we come!! B)

Agreed that 'fake' throttles make cars feel weird...

You change the way you drive.

And with a turbo engine, they are actually pretty good.

I always loved the mechanical feel of a prefacelift AGU engine in older 1.8t's, but once you get used to a properly calibrated DBW throttle it's not that bad.

On a turbo car you just press the pedal and wait for the power, them bleed throttle position off until you have the desired acceleration haha.

-

Went to wash the car half an hour ago, as I pulled out of the station some douche nozzle in a turbo MX5 was diffing around the roundabout I needed to get on. Rather than just go around once, he went round like three times with traffic waiting on every entrance to see what he was up to and waiting until it was safe. I had enough at this point so I just pulled out on him.

He abruptly turned off to follow me after rescuing his terrible slide, then after flashing me the whole way down the dual carriageway was unfortunate to pull up next to me at a set of lights.

So I asked him if he was having fun on the roundabout, and he and his mate shouted "yeah what's it to you?"

So I pulled my wallet out which has a Costco card in the front of it which looks a bit like a Police identity card. I flashed it at him and said "5-0 buddy, expect a notice in the post. Shame I'm off duty at the moment, but I will let someone else deal with the paperwork."

His face was worth at least £70, he looked like he was about to cry.

He said sorry and drove off.

Mega lols.

Edited by Pashley26
  • Like 7