The Car Thread

MadManMike

Should be interesting Dann.

Just got home from preparing the rally car/service van for this weekend. We went out for a quick spin to scrub in a new pair of tyres and set the brake bias.

I need a sequential gearbox in my life, this is just insane, we think the car has around 180bhp and weighs about 1000kg, but the box shaves soooo much time off the acceleration, this is roughly 0-100:

Getting in to a car with Ben Moore at pace - you're a braver man than I :lol:

In unrelated news, this one's probably more for Prawn & Seamons, though I'd imagine Robin & Jardo may be able to help a little too:

AGU head on AUQ - what'd be involved and what's the benefit?

From what I can make out the AGU being large port would equate to shifting more air, or rather the same volume of air at lower boost levels. Would this mean that should the time come to fit a bigger turbo and take a trip up to Niki that there's more scope for power? It makes some sense to me that being a little more free flowing would allow for better flow when you start to up the pressure along the way, but I'm sure there's more to it than that as usual!

• Like 1

Luke, from what I can tell, rods will become an issue before the small-port head will. It kind of depend what turbo you think you'll end up running in the long run. Bill's just got some pretty crazy figures out of a hybrid k04 on a small-port head, with one of his exhaust manifolds on there, more than enough for the standard rods! (~370ish bhp iirc).

sound like theres some straight cut gears in there aswell?

Yeah, it's got a 6 speed sequential sadev box in it, straight cut gears with dog engagements and flat shift. Basically the clutch is only needed to pull away. :D (Although downshifts will take some more practice on Bens part to get clutch-less.) Sadly shifts like that don't come from a gizmo stuck on the side of the standard helical box!

Edited by RobinJI

Yeah rods would definitely be on the cards if (read: when) I did decide to go ahead but that's a fairly straightforward one to get my head around. Some of the figures coming from smallport builds are ridiculous, just trying to get clued up on it rather than being something I'm definitely going to do/wanting to buy now or anything.

Right been looking into getting a lease car, prices, milage blahhhh...

Been thinking:

Renault twingo renaultsports 1.6vvt

Seat Ibiza Sport coupe 1.4 tsi cupra dsg

FORD FIESTA HATCHBACK 1.6 Titanium or zetec 3dr Powershift (Jardo?)

There all around 300 a month.

From what I can make out the AGU being large port would equate to shifting more air, or rather the same volume of air at lower boost levels. Would this mean that should the time come to fit a bigger turbo and take a trip up to Niki that there's more scope for power? It makes some sense to me that being a little more free flowing would allow for better flow when you start to up the pressure along the way, but I'm sure there's more to it than that as usual!

Talking based only on my experience of NA porting....

Obviously FI affects things but don't forget that whilst you have large ports your charge velocity is going to be lower and a smaller turbo might not be able to flow enough volume to keep up with demand. Going to a bigger turbo will start introducing more lag.

My supermoto has a 44mm carb fitted (up from the standard 40mm) and whilst it gives a massive boost to the mid range and top end power it loses out on bottom end grunt. A big mistake that people make with porting is to open up the inlet tract as much as possible thinking that more air = more fuel = more power; however all they do is reduce pressure and charge velocity. Again I guess FI will help mitigate this :)

Not sure if it is applicable to turbo tuning but look up velocity porting by mototune usa, some very interesting reading.

If you're planning to install rods, fit a large port head while the small port is off. If you're not fitting rods, the cost and effort of changing the heads isn't really worth it. Large port does allow more flow, but it's at the sacrifice of torque low down.

I really only fitted an AGU engine to mine because I got it stupidly cheap (£150 for the whole engine with everything still attached), and because it made the whole rebuild process 100% easier doing it out of the car.

If you're planning to go all out on the build, and you are trying to extract every last ounce of power from the engine, then yes, large port is worth it (the other advantage of large port engines is the "better" compression ratio, which you won't gain from if you just change the head), but otherwise, you would be better spending the £200+ it will cost to do the head swap on water/meth injection, and actually reap some real world benifits.

Cool, cheers for the explanation gents. It's unlikely I'll be going all out and certainly wont be doing anything soon as I'm going to be away for most of the year now, but had seen mention of it around and it just intrigued the knowledge whore in me rather than being something I'm necessarily looking to do (Y)

Fiesta Zetec S, ecoboost.

Best handling, best spec, best residual values, not the cheapest but the most accessible and real world affordable of the options.

Don't lease, do PCP/Ford Options.

Twingo, poop.

DS3. Terrible car.

Focus ST is great, but the Fiesta ST is MUCH better.

V40, gay. And expensive.

Ibiza, meh. Build quality is suspect, engines are strong but the chassis isn't great.

Polo and Golfs are not a good option unless you go for GTI/GTD.

Scirocco screams "I think I am better than a Golf."

How much are you looking to spend/what deposit?

Edited by Pashley26
  • Like 1

As rule of thumb I want to be spending max of 370 a month, the focus st-1 is 420. For some unknown reason there is no fiesta st?

Is that fiesta a diesel?

It's no deposit required.

There is just shy of 8000 variants of cars to pick from depending on the money I want to spend! Send.me your email and I'll foward you the email containing the list.

Sorry about the pic size but if you can see, here is some info on it

post-24017-0-53719300-1390591772_thumb.p

post-24017-0-39865400-1390591797_thumb.p

post-24017-0-59533300-1390591808_thumb.p