The Car Thread

MadManMike

Won the comp but it's the most hollow victory yet. We got completely dominated by my team mate who built a superlight M3. The car packed up right before the last special stage and he finished with a DNF despite working out an over 30s lead over me. So my 2nd place turned into 1st. A friend who came 2nd was 10s behind me on a 20 minute event but he was driving without any power steering in an M3 on 250mm section racing slicks. Finished with a steering wheel covered in blood and I think the only way he actually made it to the finish was because he looks like he could bench press his own car.

Car performed awfully, clutch is dead, gearbox is dead, engine is almost dead. Couldn't get into the right gears all day and was missing probably around 100bhp. Also forgot how to drive. On the first non timed run I was 11s behind the leader on a 3 minute special stage. That's the difference between an M3 and a 316i. It got progressively better but didn't come close to the leader.

Painted the M3 bumper. Thanks again Tom for your advice, it's working like a charm, especially thinning the clear coat.

I was using a cheap 10 quid gun for the last job and since then we've found a Sata and a Sagola gun in our workshop haha :D

Only did the clear with the Sagola, I'm running it at a much lower pressure, around 2.5bar but the spray even at it's widest is pretty narrow which is slightly annoying. I guess it's ok for a bumper with lots of nooks and crannies. Or I'm just used to the massive spray at a high pressure from the old gun which is probably not a good thing.

Didn't avoid a few problems, the cheap gun spit out some old clear coat onto the base. But overall I'm really happy, the clear finish is so good that it won't need any more work. Just let it dry ant put it on the car.

h9Iwo7v.jpg

znsQ5MQ.jpg

V8xLQAy.jpg

As usual black spots are a dirty lens.

Edited by Greetings

I have to post this here because I'm literally crying. Mentioned this guy before in this thread.

I have a very destructive friend who I often drive with or compete against. He's middle aged, very civil and calm, has a wife, two kids and a very high position in a large company. He's known among us for giving abolutely no shit about his car - and this doesn't mean he doesn't get angry when he scratches it, it means he's ready to continue driving with his bonnet fully open and resting against a broken screen by gauging where the road is from what he sees to his left. So far, he's had an M3 and a Subaru Type R. He's a quick driver, could be very quick if he was focused on being quick. But he's focused chiefly on having fun, which for him could be leading a competition overall and then "testing" whether road winter tyres aren't better in the rain than racing wets, crashing the car and barely making it to the finish. He keeps testing things. He'll even test whether he can do something without hitting an obstacle.

The car on the left is pretty much what his car looked like back in 2009. The same colour and similarily clean. The car on the right is his car 4 year later. Note the indicator on the left.

wCLT0AQ.jpg

This is a picture 3 years in after trying to cut a corner. He also named his car.

461821_312586565488175_802505723_o.jpg

This is him arriving in his daily driver to the mechanics who built our cars. He was later spotted by my friend about 4 miles away still on flats.

416485_469786726369332_76125512_o.jpg

This is his car after he tried to cut a corner again which earned him a nickname.

258871_522325637782107_235103586_o.jpg

And in more detail. The detail is just amazing.

820653_449877651748664_732285485_o.jpg

Then he got a Subaru. Generally speaking it was good looking.

598622_563337427025133_923504552_n.jpg

And this is what it looks like 1 year in:

1511687_473708529405712_818170355_o.jpg

Look at any real race series.

You'll never see a tatty car on the grid. Image definitely does matter.

it's why I hate the term 'track slag' when people use it about my car. a track slag to me is something that's abused an unloved, with tatty miss matched seats and odd wheels.thrashed around until it breaks then binned off.

We all love our cars, but I know from my time driving mine pre-body work repair, it's very hard to be proud of something that looks utterly shit, no matter how technically good it might be!

You don't own anything that looks shit though!

You race car is smart and tidy, your westy looks amazing. Your clio loked mint too¬!

Even your blue mx5 was presentable.

I much prefer to keep the car looking remotely smart. Just the duct tape holding my air dam together at the moment is thoroughly annoying me!

9D158609-2F22-4B91-8103-997DCEB06F65_zps

I much prefer to keep the car looking remotely smart.

I guess it depends on the attitude. I share yours with regards to my car but if I were to chose one car from the series I take part in to just look at and appreciate, it'd be the above mentioned Subaru or Bimmer. I guess it's more funny when you get to know the guy, his attitude is difficult to put into words. We all love him and his cars.

Actually he sold that M3 and this is what it looks like now:

1961801_746117702089733_1654690044_o.jpg

It weighs an astohishing 1150kg and on the last comp has given me quite a lot of trouble. In short the driver is so quick in that car that I'll have to drive way beyond what I consider safe to beat him this season.

I'm a bit in the middle on this one. I completely agree that a car should be presentable and shouldn't look like it's destined for the scrap yard, but I also think it should look used. It's the battle-scars; the dinks, the scratches, the warn paint, the scuffed bumpers etc.. that gives a car its story, it gives it a sense of history and shows that someone's had a lot of fun in it. But it does come across in an instant when a car's just not looked after, rather than being used hard. It just looks tatty and abused, which removes that sense of history.

Blinding cars, I was looking at them last night.

Cheap to run, expensive to insure, cheap to buy and very fun.

If the dephaser and belts are done they are very reliable, I loved my old 172.

A set of cams, a decent intake (stone RS2) and a decent exhaust and you have a 210bhp screamer. Even just a standard RStuner remap makes them rev really well, and when the dephaser kicks in you get a really nice step in performance.

Go get one.

I'm a bit in the middle on this one. I completely agree that a car should be presentable and shouldn't look like it's destined for the scrap yard, but I also think it should look used. It's the battle-scars; the dinks, the scratches, the warn paint, the scuffed bumpers etc.. that gives a car its story, it gives it a sense of history and shows that someone's had a lot of fun in it. But it does come across in an instant when a car's just not looked after, rather than being used hard. It just looks tatty and abused, which removes that sense of history.

This basically sums up how I feel.

mine still has loads of scarrs from my crash, and up close it's far from perfect, but I try to keep it looking presentable.

Race cars are typically 20ft cars, not that tidy close up, but good enough to look smart on the grid or flying round track or in pics.

• Like 1