The Car Thread

MadManMike

Maybe, but i want something presentable haha despite that, everything ive asked for....

They can look okay! This was mine

381262_10150426591360986_783432821_n.jpg

382074_10150349912400986_1734048879_n.jp

And top work Jardo, I made an old man nearly cry once when I machined his old mercedes from pink to red haha

I remember the Merc you did. Looked good.

It's a shame, but the only way to do a restoration like that is literally just to get on with it and jump both feet first.

It's always a bit scary moving from panel to panel and praying the shade stays the same.

Edited by Pashley26
  • Like 1

I was concerned because the panels looked SO dull during the polishing and cutting.

V32 has a very long work time, and is incredibly course. So I was really worried the hard dry paint was just being marred and dulled by the pad.

But as soon as I buffed it regained its colour.

It wasn't until the cherry glaze went on that it got any wetness and depth to the paint. So I used a medium cutting pad and cherry glaze, then a finishing pad to make sure it wouldn't return any time soon.

I think I will buy him some quartz coating so it stays for a few years, and should stand up to his no polishing habit.

So, apparently the mechanic at that garage doesn't believe in beating around the bush. Standing there with the garage owner and the mechanic, having just shown them where the leak's coming from. Boss dude asked the mechanic when they could fix it. He replied with "The price of it is the problem. You won't want to have to pay for that." He then followed it up with a "That won't be covered under your warranty."

He's claiming it'd be over £100 to replace the thermostat housing (which is where the issue is). If they're going to try and pull that shit, I'm happy to fire them a load of links to all the replacements I've found that cost about 1/5th of that. In that I don't think they're the most scrupulous garage I'd imagine they'll probably be going to the same places in any case.

• Like 1

Make it look similar to this: er it, change the wheels and tyres etc and get an aftermarket steering wheel :P

First thing first:

Insurance companies hates you. really really hates you. but like properly.

Make sure that you do not make a provisional insurance

modification... just without letting the insurance company know

and the companies hate you

Snip.

Hopefully they don't overtorque the bolts - the T'stat housings on those Zetecs are 'plastic'. Too much torque is what causes them to leak... 'Oh, it's leaking, I'll torque it up some more'... *crack* ... 'Oh, it's leaking even more now, weird'...

The guy was trying to show me how the plastic lip on the inside breaks, which then gets all Canadian and starts f**king with the seal. He was using a plastic torch, and just pointing to the plastic cover that goes over the LEDs, and just mumbling shit.

I would imagine that this will not end well.

The owner was saying to the mechanic they could try and find a second hand one to fit. I'm almost tempted to email them the link to the one I found (which even has free courier delivery...) so at least it's a new part with a year 'no quibble' (LOLOLOLOL) warranty on it. Don't know how they'd really take that kind of suggestion though :P

f**k the insides of the wheels, they are being refurbished this week because they have been scuffed by AP.

The carbon roof spikes never came on an MR, only the MR had the raised lines down the side of the gutter. Much better than those chav tastic roof spikes.

It only has carbon front end because it was smashed to pieces in the motorway two years ago and a full carbon front end was £1000's less than sourcing genuine MR wings and having them painted. The owner doesn't actually like the carbon.

Yep!

He smashed it up, and spent months looking for an MR front end and couldn't find one.

New the panels were unbelievably expensive, and they just don't come up second hand ever. When he sold his smashed up panels they sold instantly for more money than he paid for the carbon wings. And that was for a bent and cracked bonnet, a f**ked wing and one immaculate one.

If you google FQ340 MR you will notice hardly any of them are red, it's one of the rarest colours. And because it is single paint, they are always a different shade car to car so aren't really interchangeable and would looks stupid if you resprayed it with fresh paint.

I'm almost tempted to email them the link to the one I found (which even has free courier delivery...) so at least it's a new part with a year 'no quibble' (LOLOLOLOL) warranty on it. Don't know how they'd really take that kind of suggestion though :P

I pretty much always by the parts separately for any work a garage does. I just get them delivered straight there and they do their thing. Then again, I have been using the same garage for a while now so that might have something to do with them being cool about it. I'd say go for it...

(Y) I'm abused

I was nearly like you

18 years old, a driving licence for a year, it cannot be that bad!

Lets look at a car like a 200sx, 150 Hp, so not too much, but cool and cheap and old...

£15.000