The Car Thread

MadManMike

Just a bit mental! 1800cc according to the youtube description; but no more info than that. Have spent far too much time recently watching clips of the European hill climb champs, bloody nuts!

Going to just a local hill climb opened my eyes to how much some people will spend on their cars. That and how slow some people drive their incredibly quick cars.

Cheers Dan got 9l of the stuff, new cv gaiters to go on too. Set of tyres, oil pressure sensor, needed new gaskets for appropriate places too.

Just hope I'm driving away Thursday night instead of getting a lift!!

BTW you know the egr delete, how hard is it to actually put a egr on? I've been told it's pretty hard work and not worth the effort, but surely as a "protection" device to save your turbo or engine when pressure needs to be released its worth having?

Cheers Dan got 9l of the stuff, new cv gaiters to go on too. Set of tyres, oil pressure sensor, needed new gaskets for appropriate places too.

Just hope I'm driving away Thursday night instead of getting a lift!!

BTW you know the egr delete, how hard is it to actually put a egr on? I've been told it's pretty hard work and not worth the effort, but surely as a "protection" device to save your turbo or engine when pressure needs to be released its worth having?

Turbos have internal/external wastegates to do this?

All egr valve does is re-use exhaust gas's, ment to help reduce emissions.

Yeah man. Wouldn't make a difference what so ever. All Egr does is clog up and raise mpg purely to cut down emissions. They don't act as a waste gate. The turbo is vnt too

Dan, do vnt turbos run wastegates?

My bad okay cool cheers for that.

I think the reason old turbo blew was the ecu made it think it kept needing to spool and it caused over boost... Luckily the turbo went not the engine.

i cant see this. Ecu's have strict controls to prevent the turbo from over boosting, If the turbo does create more boost than the ecu tells it to, then the car would go into limp mode to prevent any damage being caused to the engine.

Got a weird one here...

Mr Rainbird did a fault code scan a while back on my Leon which was just one error, saying something along the lines of bullshit signal in the glow plug area. Potential issues were either plugs, the plug wiring or the relay.

I changed the plugs, no difference. I have now changed the wiring bridge and when I plug it in I get glow plug errors on all 4 cylinders (P0671, P0672 etc...). What I also get, is the red battery light stays on when I start the car.

Last weekend I unplugged the glow plug harness and just drove without them plugged in, after about 20 miles the traction control light came on. If I stopped the car, switched it off and on it would be ok for another 20 miles.

WTF is this car playing at?

Got a weird one here...

Mr Rainbird did a fault code scan a while back on my Leon which was just one error, saying something along the lines of bullshit signal in the glow plug area. Potential issues were either plugs, the plug wiring or the relay.

I changed the plugs, no difference. I have now changed the wiring bridge and when I plug it in I get glow plug errors on all 4 cylinders (P0671, P0672 etc...). What I also get, is the red battery light stays on when I start the car.

Last weekend I unplugged the glow plug harness and just drove without them plugged in, after about 20 miles the traction control light came on. If I stopped the car, switched it off and on it would be ok for another 20 miles.

WTF is this car playing at?

bad earth? Always worth checking the main earth straps between the battery/engine/body.

Car works again! Turns out the little cover that covers my coil pack had come adrift and got wedged between the engine/inner offside cv joint haha. As the clip was going round it caught it and made the clicky noise.

Engines stayed quiet too, think I'll drop the oil again next week and put one more New filter on and hopefully it'll do me for a while

One of my competitors decided to visit the Ring, so finally got an international reference point. On his 4th lap of the track having never previously driven round it even in digital form, he did an 8:05 in a lightly modified E46 M3. He's analyzing vids and telemetry now and should be doing what he calls a "proper" lap tomorrow. Really looking forward to an update. After a few years of competing in sprint events we have a fairly good memory for corners but I didn't expect anyone could go so quickly round the Ring after 4 laps. Fingers crossed.

My exhaust is now detached in two places, so the two rear sections are just hanging there not doing very much. This should annoy me but I'm finding it strangely amusing.

Now to do precisely F all about it for a few months, because no doubt when I try to disconnect the cat from the downpipe I will end up in a world of pain and misery.

• Like 1

Turned it over. Seems to run fine. Boost gauge was being funny so checked for boost leaks and found a leak which appears to be coming from the block...

Possible head gasket failure.

I genuinely feel like crying agh.