The Car Thread

MadManMike

Doesn't matter how many tools I buy, when I come to do a job on the car there's always something I don't have. That is a bargain!

Been driving the a3 this week as the porsche is back at Suffolk. Is there much difference between the 2010 1.8t and the older ones? It's punchy but needs more oomph, I guess a remap is on the cards at some point although I fear that will mean new clutch time will come up sooner than I'd like. Still unsure if I like the car, being an s line it looks pretty but there's several little niggly things that annoy me, mainly the lack of a decent cup holder and the seats are pretty awful!

Hippy guy, with your budget you should consider a 924/44, dirty cheap, easy to fix, lower running costs than you would expect and you may be able to get a classic policy (not sure how old you are). If you do consider one then join an owners club and seek advice or buy a car from a club member

Can someone help me out here, I've sold my van and the insurance runs out in September. I've paid off the last instalment but won't be driving anything til October probably. Should I let the insurance know or just let it run out?

On the matter of what to get next, there's a chance in October I can get a low milage transit connect for dirt cheap so gunna wait out til then but I am going away in May next year for quite a while so probably won't need anything then after. I'm mighty tempted to get something fun instead in the meantime. Don't want to spend a lot as it won't be lasting too long, but I'd like to be able to bring my bike along, so does anybody reckon I could fit a bike rack/towbar to an mx5? :P

Can someone help me out here, I've sold my van and the insurance runs out in September. I've paid off the last instalment but won't be driving anything til October probably. Should I let the insurance know or just let it run out?

On the matter of what to get next, there's a chance in October I can get a low milage transit connect for dirt cheap so gunna wait out til then but I am going away in May next year for quite a while so probably won't need anything then after. I'm mighty tempted to get something fun instead in the meantime. Don't want to spend a lot as it won't be lasting too long, but I'd like to be able to bring my bike along, so does anybody reckon I could fit a bike rack/towbar to an mx5? :P

In terms of bike racks you can just use anything that'll work on a saloon, which is most of them really. I did it a few times when I had mine as a daily, same rack I'd always had worked just fine. Could also look at something like a 924 so you can just about get it inside if you want.

In terms of bike racks you can just use anything that'll work on a saloon, which is most of them really. I did it a few times when I had mine as a daily, same rack I'd always had worked just fine. Could also look at something like a 924 so you can just about get it inside if you want.

Was thinking of something like an mx5 so that when I go away I could give it to my mum. Need to see if I can get this van for pittance first.

Bums. The audi used over 1 litre of oil last night in 150 miles :( no noticeable smoke, no horrid smelling fumes, coolant is pink, no noticeable leaks and performance is spot on...

What checks should I go for? I did wonder if the turbo is on it's way out but surely I'd notice piles of smoke?

Bums. The audi used over 1 litre of oil last night in 150 miles :( no noticeable smoke, no horrid smelling fumes, coolant is pink, no noticeable leaks and performance is spot on...

What checks should I go for? I did wonder if the turbo is on it's way out but surely I'd notice piles of smoke?

Could it be leaking it under pressure? oil pipes, ect?

Right, so, after all that pish with me thinking I had a hole in the exhaust then the garage telling me it was needing a Terra Clean or a top engine rebuild on my 1.9 tdi VW Passatt. Turns out the problem is actually.....

Can you guess?

A worn wheel bearing.

Wont be taking my car back to that garage thats for sure.

• Like 9