The Car Thread

MadManMike

Nah, you'd never have known that was going to happen. Literally no warning whatsoever. Just put his foot down and the pedal didn't come back up.

He's planning to run a hybrid turbo anyway, so the clutch was on the list of things to do...just not 2 hours after he bought it! Even factoring a clutch replacement, its still a really good deal.

On the subject of Cupra r's, I have been looking into swapping my car for something else. Have looked into cupra r's and seen a lot over 100k. Should I be concerned if one is on 140k for instance? How long do they last if looked after etc.

Seems quite strange the idea of swapping my car with 125k on it for one with more miles to be honest!

Just some general pointers on them would be nice.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Wrayvon

On the subject of Cupra r's, I have been looking into swapping my car for something else. Have looked into cupra r's and seen a lot over 100k. Should I be concerned if one is on 140k for instance? How long do they last if looked after etc.

Seems quite strange the idea of swapping my car with 125k on it for one with more miles to be honest!

Mileage alone isn't necessarily a killer, though if you can find one on under 125k it'd give that bit more peace of mind.

As with most 10+ year old cars, I'd always take one with a decent history, clearly looked after and maintained but on 140k than one with no history, neglected and 100k (despite the fact I've sort of done the latter myself!) :lol:

Talking of my neglected LCR…

Previous owner thought the HG was on the way out, turned out to be a dead oil cooler. The seals on these seem to dry out and crack and the internals can have issues too – as you’ll see shortly, this was clearly the original from when that car was new so 100k later it’s time for a replacement.

Drained the coolant, was left with some wonderful gunk in the expansion tank:

20150407_150544_zpslmzl4lsd.jpg

Removed the expansion tank, plugged a hose directly into the system, opened up the bottom of the rad and flushed through with water to remove as much of the gunk from the hoses as possible

20150407_153158_zps3h5pdrqx.jpg

‘til it came through clear

20150407_153441_zpsqtgg8ipe.jpg

Purged the expansion bottle with boiling water and dishwasher shiz, followed by sitting in a load of coke to remove the baked-on crap

Post-detergent, pre-coke

20150407_180113_zpsvj3emygd.jpg

Post-coke:

20150407_161428_zpsferjjxwt.jpg

Connected back up, flushed through with a load of Holtz purge stuff. Looking good.

Drained all the oil out. This is the oil (leaf not form the sump!) I put in after getting the car home 1500 miles ago…

20150410_132342_zpsyiwwosni.jpg

New cooler and seal ready to rock:

20150410_125425_zpspdnffjwu.jpg

Pulled the old cooler out:

20150410_130252_zpsei2qawtb.jpg

Lines etc were minging, so threw another load of cleaner through it and flushed with a few gallons of water.

Old vs new:

20150410_130708_zpssobzl2na.jpg

New one fitted and bolted up:

20150410_131309_zpsi9pjqogv.jpg

Purged through with another load of coolant flush just to get the last of the shit out of the system. Removed cooler had certainly seen better days:

20150410_133212_zpscirdpv4e.jpg

20150410_133215_zpshflf2e2k.jpg

Coolant topped up with the proper shiz

20150410_145451_zpsr24gl5e8.jpg

20150410_150126_zpsntbcg22x.jpg

Fresh oil, all cleaned up and good to go again. Beauty. Now back to hunting for the lack of power…

20150410_150200_zpstovsk9lc.jpg

• Like 2

Whaaa?

I'm riveting a whacking great plate of aluminium over it. The guy with the carbon roof sold it to somebody else, he did ask me if I still wanted it first but to be honest I CBA. Hassle innit.

How thick is your aluminium plate?

Steel expands under heat at a different rate to aluminium, if you don't put some sort of slip joint in there you may risk the aluminium buckling the steel as it expands, especially if you're riveting it up solid.

If the aluminium is sufficiently thick then it shouldn't expand a great deal faster that the steel, I guess you would need to be looking at at least 3mm thick plate though.

You could also try to mitigate the problem by not riveting the rear edge, do the front and sides but leave the rear with a decent polyurethane sealant that will retain its flexibility, this will allow the steel skin to expand underneath the aluminium plate and hopefully not ripple.

I don't know what you mean, I'm not welding anything so there won't be any heat? I'm going to drill and bolt an aluminium sheet over the hole, and the dents, make sure it fits and covers everything then take it off and paint it body colour then rivet it back on and tiger seal it.

The roof was all coming off lovely, no damage and everything was all good in the hood.

But that one corner was held in with chemical metal.

I ran a knife between the roof skin and the sunroofs cage, cut all the tiger seal and then gently dropped it down.

The passengers side came off beautifully, and all around the front came off too but there was so much tiger seal on the passengers side I had to cut it from the back, I pulled the sunroof down a bit from the inside of the car and put my arm in under the sunroof to cut the tiger seal off the back of the sunroof and the whole thing fell down, but stayed attached in that one corner where it had been chemical metal'd in :(

1482771_1617850741763434_725076730187464

Everything else came off lovely.

10641128_1617846228430552_23591602193609