The Car Thread

MadManMike

Why not just refurb yours then? It's not difficult and you can do them 1 at a time if you use your spare wheel (Assuming you need your car daily).

Short springs on standard shocks isn't a great solution long term, however you might as well use up your standard shocks, it's not like they are worth anything! Those basic shortened ones are only £100 (or £140 with springs but I would rather have the Eibachs) so you will probably have enough time to save for them whilst you kill the standards :)

Refurb isn't an option for me, I barely have any spare time, literally no tools and working space. I could get them blasted and re-painted, but that costs just as much as buying another set... I guess it's a better option though.

I think on the suspension front I'd rather save up and get a decent set of shocks & springs, rather than risk cheaper stuff. My life is worth more than £140 :)

If I had the funds to be replacing my wheels in the near future (looking at as couple of months at least for now unfortunately) then I'd offer you mine as they're utterly mint :(

What size are yours? Are the Cupra wheels not 18's? My TDi has 15's haha.

1. Remove current wheels.
2. Fit new wheels.

:P

Nah - it'd be worth checking overall diameters (there are numerous calculators online if you chuck in your tyre specs) but so long as that's about the same I'd have thought you should be fine really. Don't think there's anything majorly different in there to catch/rub but have a little hunt online for any info people may have put up there.

Edit; Thought there way a price, my bad.

mikestarfish.png

Anyone on here had a Clio 172? Someone has offered a straight swap for my van. The vans got double the mileage! Looking for as much info as possible - as I can just afford the insurance!

Edited by DrDoom

anyone know which coilovers for road use for a MK4 Golf Estate TDI?

budget, read some posts on audisport by Jardo and Prawn and seems like all budget ones are pretty similar, FK/JOM etc...

being an estate and TDI will the 'standard' MK4 results on ebay fit fine? Or do they need to be estate specific as they have a different spring rate etc? Any help appreciated!

another question, which forum should I look into joining..? There's loads!!

Steve

Check out vw vortex, it's us based but Infos stil relevant.

Personally thou I'd up the budget if you could. I went in a friends mk2 golf with jom coilies on and it rode like shit. Was still at a sensible height too which was suprising. I fitted FK highsports to my passat and love them. Adjusting collars out of the back, helper spring out the front it still rides nice, handles well-ish (as well as an estate should). I went to adjust them the other day and they were still easy to adjust, my friends jom setup was solid even with copper slip on.

Don't get me wrong, the joms seem consistent and reliable, they've been on over 18 months now trouble free but I wouldn't like to think I've got them everyday.

Just found some SWEET wheels for the Leon, they seem mad pricey though - gonna hold out for a cheap set.

Can't release the name just yet, there's a set for £2.01 on eBay at the moment, wouldn't want anyone to jump in ;)

What wheels are on it? may have to purchase your old ones.

In the news of the Seat Leon, it appears to be fine minus track rods and the front drivers wheel, going to order rods tomorrow.

But today i fell in love, the Leon is getting swapped for a MK2 GTI golf <3. Going to put it on banded smoothies 9.5j rear 8.5 fronts.

Buying my old ones would be a bad idea, for the following reasons:

1) They're 15"

2) They are the ugliest alloys known to man.

3) They need a refurb, because they're corroded and flaking.

Luke - Wheel hunt is going OK, but I've got a specific wheel in mind now which is neither cheap or common. Got some in my Watch list on eBay, currently at £62. Expecting them to go for around £300.

• Like 1

I wasn't so much saying it was faux/bad rather that it's supposedly a drift ute yet they've added a diffuser to potentially produce downforce (and therefore increase grip and stability) when my instinct tells me that a drift car wants to be inherently unstable with as little grip as possible (within reason). Edit: happy for someone to point out why a bit of downforce/reduced lift might be good for a drift car but doesn't seem to tally with how I see drifting!

Cheers Ad... that page (and photo!) leaves a lot to be desired! But yeah Aero Engineering degree followed by a doctorate in rally car aerodynamics and now manage and consult for the University wind tunnels :).

Nah, you need grip. It's why drifting in the wet for shit people is fun, but when you're good, you need grip to continue driving forward (albeit sideways) so processional drifting in wet is shit to watch, and shit to do. If you have no grip, it'll just be uncontrollable and when doing it professionally, you'll just loose grip and never get on anyone doors as you'll scrub your speed crazy fast.

That's why they started going crazy hp in professional series (i think the vert 350 has like 1000bhp? :/ ), as soon as one person up's the power, other's need to up it to keep on their door or they'll just pull away and gain points purely for having more power to drive forward. Unless you grass roots where no one gives a shit and they all just have bolt on's, you need to start thinking out side the box.

I know what you do, i wasn't calling you out on it, but i very much doubt someone that's gone to this extent has put a diffuser on for looking good in the car park, is what i was getting at, not that you don't know your shit. :)

And yes, i'm rarely here so this is a few pages old haha.

So got up first thing this morning and dropped my car off at my local revo dealer for a stage 2 remap.

Got a phone call back at 11 o'clock to say car was ready to be picked up and they were really impressed with the power of it. This is coming from tuners that are big in the evo scene so I couldn't wait to pick it up and give it a spirited drive home.

Initial thoughts are the car pulls alot harder now pushes you back into your seat a fair bit. At the same time though I would say its still like driving a stock car for how smooth the car runs in d mode or with the paddles haven't noticed any jerkiness with dsg and also the power delivery is still fairly smooth pulling hard to start with then eases slightly off once high in the rev range.

Not quite sure what settings my car is running but I'm more than pleased with it. Car must be in the 330bhp and same for torque range.

Mods currently would be forge twintake and non res full decat miltek system. Next plan would be hpfp and stage 2+ and possibly dsg map