The Car Thread

MadManMike

That's the plan mate, gonna look pretty sweet I think!

good call. mine's desperately screaming for some spacers but I'm on holiday for a week so I'll deal with that upon return, might even raise the car a little once spaced out, scraped and hit a few things already due to impractical lowness...

I love a set of good aftermarket wheels but for stand out street-cred I'm looking to spend mega bucks.

affordable aftermarkets are common so might as well stick to OEM wheels and spend a lot less, £87 is a bargain considering they are in good nick!

Steve

good call. mine's desperately screaming for some spacers but I'm on holiday for a week so I'll deal with that upon return, might even raise the car a little once spaced out, scraped and hit a few things already due to impractical lowness...

I love a set of good aftermarket wheels but for stand out street-cred I'm looking to spend mega bucks.

affordable aftermarkets are common so might as well stick to OEM wheels and spend a lot less, £87 is a bargain considering they are in good nick!

Steve

Are spacers generally safe? Reason I ask is that I do a lot of miles on the motorway so need reliability.

Yeah I was in the same boat, decent wide BBS or similar wheels were all £350+ with tyres and that was slightly beaten up ones. Luckily the peppers are ET38 and everything else the same as my old ones so there was no worries about fitment. I was surprised how good condition they are to be honest, the advert described them as "a few marks and scuffs" but I struggle to find them.

From this:

IMG_20130202_115617.jpg

to this:

IMG_20130202_151548.jpg

It looks like a 4x4 :( Can certainly tell the difference when driving also. Ah well at least it should be comfier now...

Excuse filthiness, not got around to washing it for quite a while....

Edited by Wrayvon

Are spacers generally safe? Reason I ask is that I do a lot of miles on the motorway so need reliability.

Yeah I was in the same boat, decent wide BBS or similar wheels were all £350+ with tyres and that was slightly beaten up ones. Luckily the peppers are ET38 and everything else the same as my old ones so there was no worries about fitment. I was surprised how good condition they are to be honest, the advert described them as "a few marks and scuffs" but I struggle to find them.

I ran massive spacers on the rear of my mini, and drove it bloody hard with no issues. The studs are micky mouse thin aswell.

Think i ended up running:

Spaced drums (1 1/4")

3/4" spacers

and a couple mm shims.

and the studs were 86mm long, looked like boadicean wheel spikes :P

Hang on guys, put down anything you are holding and find a seat.

I am pretty sure Tic took his totally standard Leon to the most aggressive rolling road in the world with Prawn today.

These rollers are called "the hearbreakers" across the internet.

From what I have seen, Peter has something to be very proud of.

Edited by Pashley26
  • Like 2

Wide spacers put a bit of strain on the wheel bearings, but I guess my 10J rears kinda do that too...
But yeah, long bolts with spacers aren't exactly safe. The ones that bolt onto the hub, then bolt the wheels to the spacer = better.

What an amazing day at JKM!

Had a quick ride in Prawn's beast when he warmed it up before his run. It's an absolute monster, accelerates like a freight train, stops just as quick and goes wherever Prawn points the wheels (it was dry today though :P ). He has worked so hard to get the car back on the road and he was rewarded with some very impressive figures, anyway I will leave him to update everyone with the pictures and videos...

I had not planned to run my car but after watching everyone else I caved in and booked on because I wanted to check the car was healthy and not lost too many ponies since leaving the factory.

It made 183.8bhp :)

I wish I had given the wheels a quick clean after the drive down there haha!

379346_10152497646805641_1236488653_n.jp

• Like 1