The Car Thread

MadManMike

Is phil the new prawn??

No, Phil seems to think Jardo has half a clue what he's doing. where that idea came from, I have no idea :lol:

Not as much as you struggled to fit an exhaust manifold for two weeks. Phil and I did the same job in an hour and 10 mins.

I really, honestly, do not believe that in the slightest. You were not with Phil when he did his manifold, Phil would not have done it in 1hr 10, and had you been there, you would have played no part in the installation, you'd have just been cleaning something whilst Phil worked.

Although Georges efforts were embarassing to say the least, there were two of you doing the same job which makes things a billion times easier

Just to give jardo some credit here, he was totally right that Georges efforts were indeed laughable :lol:

Sorry spunks, but you are a bit of a mong :P

• Like 2

It took me that long because my girlfriends headgasket went halfway through, so I had to down tools and replace that.

There is NO way you changed it in an hour. Not a chance. And like Paul said, with 2 people it would have been DO much easier! Also, Phil is a trained mechanic, who works on Audis every day, obviously hes going to be quicker than me. I could wire a house quicker than him...but what does that prove?! Anyway...you can hardly comment, what with the whole "broken" gearbox :P

Why lie to try and belittle me, just makes you look a fool!

In non-bitching news: fitting the manifold was SO worth it! Totally changed how the turbo delivers. Sounds different to. Had a mate follwong me, saying I had a few flames licking my bumper, which judging by the pops and bangs, doesn't surprise me! :D

• Like 1

Looking at some custom plates for my car, I should be taking mine off on each event but often forget or couldn't be arsed, this could be a solution. Combination is 3-5 characters, 2 last characters can be digits. Don't want anything gay, quite like the idea of 4-5 identical letters, like so:

vvvvfv.jpg

oooomj.jpg

iiiidx.jpg

aaaaiw.jpg

Thoughts? And yes, all the above are legal.

Can anyone recommend a decent breakers to get Ford parts from? I want some 5 stud alloys on when I sell my C-Max in the next month or so (it's a Zetec but currently fitted with 16" steels) to make it slightly more attractive to buyers but I obviously don't want to splash too much on a set.

I put some new top front mounts in the other day. Skf ones too so not cheapo ones. After a few days the knock came back though and I noticed the top sort of washer mount wasn't sat flush and I can't get to mount flush whatever I do. It's not as bad on the other side.

A437F5DC-BE4A-46BB-BE8A-125EA279B1DD-328

It's worth noting its on coilovers and maybe the suspension geometry wasnr tweaked when they were put on, looks like a fair share of camber on this side...

057A40B2-BA07-476E-BA2A-F135C7353AF9-328

Edited by Duncy H

I put some new top front mounts in the other day. Skf ones too so not cheapo ones. After a few days the knock came back though and I noticed the top sort of washer mount wasn't sat flush and I can't get to mount flush whatever I do. It's not as bad on the other side.

They normally sit proud by anything up to an inch, that isn't your problem :)

Rear wishbone bolt, the one that bolts into the floor, see if you can tighten it or if it just spins, very common, bit of a pain in the dick to sort.

You might wanna sort that camber out too, it only takes 10 mins!

Edited by Jolfa

Yeah, sort the camber but that's unlikely to be the issue. The top mount not being square is probably just a result of the wishbones being at a funky angle and the camber, but as Jolfa said there's normally a slight gap there. I've been told it's only worth changing them if it's a gap big enough to get your little finger in.

Check the ARB bushes for the knocking noise, make sure both front wheels are in the air to check it though, so it's unloaded. Plus what Jolfa said. Also I guess you'd have seen when you did the top-mounts, but make sure the assembly of nuts and washers through them's correct, I've seen a few sets of coilovers fitted where they've put the top-mount assembly together in the wrong order or missing bits. (Just google for a diagram to see what order it should be in and what parts there's meant to be.)

Edited by RobinJI

Cheers for the replies I appreciate it. Ill have a look tomorrow and see what I can find. Hopefully it's the arb bushes and not the wishbone mount, don't like the idea of having to cut behind the pedal sort of area to get to it. Although I do gather that when they go it tends to creak more than knock.

My sisters car hasn't been moved for quite a while and was left with the handbrake on, I moved it today but the handbrake wouldn't free off but where it was parked was surrounded by snow. That was good fun! :lol:

Edited by Duncy H

My sisters car hasn't been moved for quite a while and was left with the handbrake on, I moved it today but the handbrake wouldn't free off but where it was parked was surrounded by snow. That was good fun! :lol:

i've had it before where ive had to jack the car up, take the wheel off and beat the drum free with a hand help lump :P

My neighbours Fiesta did that this morning! She just drove off with one wheel locked. :blink:

My grandma went to the supermarket the other day and didn't realise one of the rear wheels was locked up. The pad material in the rear drum had come away and jammed itself in good and tight so the wheel was solid!