The Car Thread

MadManMike

Yeah, that was mine:

265097_10150244067274855_6656103_n.jpg

285442_10150258883304855_1465542_n.jpg

267661_10150258883389855_7114097_n.jpg

283020_10150258883474855_4596180_n.jpg269799_10150258883519855_5494269_n.jpg

Awesome car, besides the wind noise (acceptable in a small light hatchback, not what you want in a big luxurious barge) and awful fuel economy (27mpg) thanks to having the aerodynamics of well, a brick. I'd love another with a modern diesel engine in it though, or a turbo Volvo lump if I had deep pockets and/or did an annual mileage of about 7 miles.

• Like 1

Just finished fitting a tubular manifold to my LCR. The difference is staggering! Different enough to blow 2 of my remaining "good" coilpacks, causing a fairly epic missfire under boost. Luckily I have a mate who works at Audi, who gave me a set of four brand new ones which solved the problem.

The acceleration and boost is so insanely epic now, its scarily quick! Fell out of love with the car a bit recently because of certain things gonig wrong with the install...however, as soon as I hit boost for the first time, my love was straight back!

Looking to fit WMI at some point in the near future...need new front tyres first though! :(

http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p605/greg130190/11EB31FA-ECB8-49E9-8FF0-F8AF0CBF8E25-1890-000000F356600124_zps897a5236.mp4

Hope this works quick video of my car since having it mapped sorry about quality trying to launch car and hold phone in 1 hand bit of a nightmare.

http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p605/greg130190/11EB31FA-ECB8-49E9-8FF0-F8AF0CBF8E25-1890-000000F356600124_zps897a5236.mp4

Edited by greg1040

How come the first video is sped up 20% and the second one isn't? Might be Photobucket playing about.

What power did it make post map? Got a graph?

Edited by Pashley26

Wow, sounds pikey as f**k.

You had a Golf R (that's what you bought isn't it?) remapped without even having it put on an RR? I know that's totally normal for Revo and the way they work; but I wouldn't be happy with that if it was my car and money.

Edited by Pashley26

Jolfa, that is awesome! Lows, new wheels and it'd be amazing! Or is the plan to rob the moving bits for your nato one? (if you even still have that?) if so, that's even better ;)

This was the happy medium car that I can share with the missus when we move to deepest darkest Cornwall that won't matter too much if it gets a bit beat up but will keep me happy.

Lower it on some springs, put some ok wheels on it and make it a bit nicer to look at/be in and leave it at that methinks :)

I think it may be time to give up on the Nato one, it's been at a garage for 9 months now and even he can't be arsed to sort it for money, think I'll keep the seats and the steering wheel and sell it on, as much as it pains me to do so since I spent what seemed like an eternity making it rot free!

You see why I was like a kid at Christmas now though? :P

Edited by Jolfa

Wow, sounds pikey as f**k.

You had a Golf R (that's what you bought isn't it?) remapped without even having it put on an RR? I know that's totally normal for Revo and the way they work; but I wouldn't be happy with that if it was my car and money.

This was how my corsa vxr was mapped also map uploaded taking out on the road with it all hooked up to laptop make sure it's boosting fuel ect is running fine I don't see a problem with this everything has been checked over to make sure car is running fine surly that's all that matters?

If it's just a generic off the shelf map then I don't really see an issue. As long as the maps from a reputable company it's not really any different to replacing a fuel pressure reg and taking it out for a drive, or any other part like that. It's not as nice way of doing it as checking everything on a rolling road after, but it's not really pikey either in my eyes.

The way I see it if its taking out on the road and u have a laptop showing boost and fuel ect and everything is running as it should be why the need for a rr.

Revo are a generic map I know u can adjust the boost fuel and timing yourself with a device between numbers 1 and 10 to suit the car.

I have no complaints with how the car is running still runs like stock just more powerful so all in all I'm very happy.

When I go stage 2+ then all pay the extra for the rr to see power.

Jardo, you wouldn't spend 20k on a Golf :P (Neither would I, I'd probably get a UR Quattro and a Lotus Europa, then keep the change for fuel money and modding the lotus!)

Yeah, I think Jardo's more bothered about just wanting a figure to know what difference it's made. I'm less bothered by that, hence not really being worried, I'd still be curious though, so I'd say a run on the rollers would be a big bonus, but not a necessity if it was much cheaper not to.

Edited by RobinJI
  • Like 1

Each to there own but dunno where your getting a golf r for 20k haha

Oh yeh don't get me wrong a power run would have been welcome but didn't see the real need to pay extra for it at the moment at stage 2+ yeh would like to see what am running which all hopefully be doing next month.

Edited by greg1040

More from a point of view that nobody other than myself really gives a flying squirrel about your remapped Golf R unless you've got a dyno plot to prove it. :(

I've been ridiculed all over the internet for months and months now because I didn't truthfully have a scooby do what power my car has had; so I couldn't speak with any real weight about my own car. I've got a dyno plot now which backs up everything I've said; so nobody can argue.

Go get it done, if it's made the gains you think it has then you can give yourself a big pat on the back and I'll happily join in :)

You shouldn't have to pay for a dyno run; it should be included in the extortionate price of the remap.

Boom -

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/volkswagen/golf-r32-r/volkswagen-golf-mk6-r-2010/1050183

First Golf R on Pistonheads is 20K; which coincidentally is what CAP and glasses guide recommend for a clean 2010 Golf R on average milage, £21,400 for a 60 plate. I work in the trade; so that's what I price it against.

:)

Edited by Pashley26

More from a point of view that nobody other than myself really gives a flying squirrel about your remapped Golf R unless you've got a dyno plot to prove it. :(

I've been ridiculed all over the internet for months and months now because I didn't truthfully have a scooby do what power my car has had; so I couldn't speak with any real weight about my own car. I've got a dyno plot now which backs up everything I've said; so nobody can argue.

Go get it done, if it's made the gains you think it has then you can give yourself a big pat on the back and I'll happily join in :)

*you shouldn't have to pay for a dyno run; it should be included in the extortionate price of the remap.

Don't get how to take u really but way I see it is your saying prove what bhp your car is putting out or I don't believe you. Apologies if am totally wrong.

I don't see what it matters weather i have a dyno plot to blag about power figures didn't come here to brag about what my car was making just thought I would put up a video of a wee 0-60 and am more than happy with car which is all that matters.

Haha fair enough all give u that but 1 with dsg and full loaded with extras. Manuals are always cheaper.

Edited by greg1040

Don't get how to take u really but way I see it is your saying prove what bhp your car is putting out or I don't believe you. Apologies if am totally wrong.

I don't see what it matters weather i have a dyno plot to blag about power figures didn't come here to brag about what my car was making just thought I would put up a video of a wee 0-60 and am more than happy with car which is all that matters

I don't mean it negatively; it looks quick enough to me and as long as you're happy that's awesome.

I just can't believe that you had your 20K+ car remapped and didn't even get a dyno plot or anything other than a guestimation of the figures. Your 330bhp ish estimate is the same as me licking my finger and sticking it out the window to get a 0 to 60 time, where as whoever mapped your car should have taken the time to run the car for you to show you what you had. It's just poor service in my eyes.

I know it's totally normal but I've only ever heard of it on the sort of £1500 bangers that kids like me have; I never for one second imagined somebody with a £20,000+ car would accept service like that.

*edit*

The actual figure means nothing to me; it's just the fact that you' haven't got a dyno when you're clearly a returning customer of theirs and have a bloody expensive car astounds me.

Edited by Pashley26

I have joined the pikey air filter club:

4F18FEAF-2269-49DD-8564-394B22A18E2A-177

843836_10152497662655641_523132808_o.jpg
Fitted lfriday night, then today, went to JKM for a dyno day with the boys from Golf GTI.

R-tech tuned ko4 golf on the dyno:

33D22AC4-0A97-44E8-BD77-624DF9CBEEC8-177

Rolled 286bhp before splitting a boost hose exactly the same as mine did at Rockingham last year.

Jamies ibiza ran:

EEEB594B-0A64-431E-A66B-99ADEB8AE225-177

And sadly made just 187bhp before they had to abort the run due to fuelling reaching 17:1 - something very wrong here that we've been trying to chase through logs for a while. It's not getting fuel at all. Not cool.

Ticcy came along with a few other people we know, and we convinced him to dyno his stock leon:

B79DA553-32EE-4836-9AAF-62B6393DF6CC-177

183.5bhp, bang on the money for a standard car.

Then mine went on towards the end of the day:

9DF47C31-268A-41D8-A5C8-A7ECA92B1AA2-177

Jim almost got lost in the seats!

75B1B829-E02D-4543-8F51-FEA75577941B-177

20DBD2B3-D424-4E01-A58E-C34611E50FD4-177

C08C5178-708A-4133-9555-5FE17B4621D1-177

86CC36F6-BEF1-437A-A2C2-711D1CC5741B-177

A whopping 52.7bhp more than Jardos fastest A3 in the world.

Thankfully, that was just on actuator pressure :lol:

Run on full boost

5817_10200570925015496_823280232_n.jpg

JKMflame_zps5f93259e.png

I MAY have forgotten to put a zip tie on the N75 pipe after rebuilding the DV on Friday night. The pipe popped off after the first run and it was trying to run uncontrolled boost as it spooled up.

The power line was going almost vertical at 3300rpm and shot past 300bhp almost instantly before Jim aborted very quickly. I realised what it was straight away and nipped a zip tie on there and all was good again :)

Very consistent too, 297.7bhp and 280lbft on actuator at 1 bar, and the 3 full power runs were 327.4, 327.3, and 327.7 bhp on all 3 runs with 335lbft each time. Boost peaking just a fraction under 20psi tapering off towards the top end with 17psi at the redline